The Student Room Group

What's the worst thing about University?

Scroll to see replies

Getting into 30k debt and thinking was this really worth it?? if i got a job straight after school i would aleady be earning close to that...when your older you gotta make sure every decision you make is right lol soooo long for rizzle.
Original post by discomposure
The weekly Kent House Monday fire alarm. I swear it's been EVERY week between 4-6 AM, when I've got a 9AM start on Tuesday :|

Otherwise I really like university :p:

My Lewes Court block fire alarm decided to go off at 430am (I had a 9am the next day aswell), then off at 530am and then 430 again the next week. You can't ignore it aswell because it is SO piercing!
Original post by KingMessi
The lack of sleep. Sleeping four to seven hours most nights just isn't good for me.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

WE GET NO SLEEP D:

tumblr_m5u4t8vrw41qgwqw9o1_500.gif

Just...shivering because I'm so tired. Not being able to think straight and dropping off in tutes.

And watching other people at other unis moan about their first essay when I'm on number 16 :rant:
Reply 43
Living with twatbags.
Reply 44
Original post by YB101
Well if you're not self motivated and if you are easily mislead the worst thing is probably struggling to actually go to lectures and such

or living with really untidy people -.-
or living with couples that keep you awake all night

and i've only been at uni for a few months:tongue:

This exactly. Self motivation. I skipped entire week of Classics lectures because it's my outside subject and can't be bothered to aim to do well in it. At school you're constantly pushed by your teachers to do your work, attend classes and study, and as much as one might resent it then, you come to realise that you really were being spoon-fed. Especially for really lazy procrastinators like me. In fact I'm procrastinating right now, I have an essay on the archaic greek conceptions of women to do, due Friday.

Also living with couples that keep you awake all night. There are these two in my flat who bang doors around till 2 am, and there's this other one that goes out for a jog at 7. I can't really blame them, they're entitled to that freedom, but it gets really difficult to have a nice long uninterrupted sleep.
Original post by such_a_lady
WE GET NO SLEEP D:

tumblr_m5u4t8vrw41qgwqw9o1_500.gif

Just...shivering because I'm so tired. Not being able to think straight and dropping off in tutes.

And watching other people at other unis moan about their first essay when I'm on number 16 :rant:

As the gif on 'I'm having an essay crisis' so aptly notes, if anyone were to ask what life at Oxford is like, the answer would be: 'No sleep. Go for days without sleep.' :yawn: :yawn:

:console: When's your last tutorial? It's only two more days; use tea and Taylor to keep you going. :yep:

Don't get me started. :fuhrer: If people moan about having only four weeks to write an essay I may explode. :shoot:
As the gif on 'I'm having an essay crisis' so aptly notes, if anyone were to ask what life at Oxford is like, the answer would be: 'No sleep. Go for days without sleep.' :yawn: :yawn:

:console: When's your last tutorial? It's only two more days; use tea and Taylor to keep you going. :yep:

Don't get me started. :fuhrer: If people moan about having only four weeks to write an essay I may explode. :shoot:

I'm struggling through my final essay crisis of the term. Bumped into Niki on the way back from SEH and we were having a bitch/rant about how much we're going to judge people on coming back for (in our eyes) not doing ANYTHING and how snobby we've become :tongue:
Original post by Emrys141
Ah right - that's a view I haven't heard many people say before:smile: Do you mind if I ask where you moved to?

Amsterdam (I've got lots of dutch family)
Well right now... It's how work just piles up. I don't do extra readings, or start researching that essay, or start that portfolio in my spare time. My spare time is spent buying food and sleeping :sad: And then what happens is my situation now, where I have a lot due sometime within the next two weeks, work for tomorrow and I just end up on TSR procrastinating so I don't have to deal with it quite yet :redface:

9AM starts once you're not used to them are also horrific *shudder*
Reply 49

No one should be moaning about an essay as a Fresher, so long as you produce something half decent and stumble into a 60 no one's going to care.
Original post by roh
No one should be moaning about an essay as a Fresher, so long as you produce something half decent and stumble into a 60 no one's going to care.

I believe that if one is expected to churn out a three-thousand word essay in a week, every week, on topics and/or texts they have never encountered prior to that week, then they are entitled to state that that experience is actually fairly tough at times - and to get slightly riled when people complain about essay troubles when they've had four times as long to complete an essay.

I'd also add that there are students who would like to produce work that's more than 'half-decent'.
Reply 51
I believe that if one is expected to churn out a three-thousand word essay in a week, every week, on topics and/or texts they have never encountered prior to that week, then they are entitled to state that that experience is actually fairly tough at times - and to get slightly riled when people complain about essay troubles when they've had four times as long to complete an essay.

I'd also add that there are students who would like to produce work that's more than 'half-decent'.

I was referring to the people at other unis who are riling you up, as I have no experience of Oxbridge (though my mate there, on your course coincidentally, seemed to spend a suspicious amount of time earning their Blue compared to their 2.1).

I'm aware you have to defend your work in tuts, which obviously is a lot more stressful and makes you feel more of an onus is on you to work in spite of the fact it's non-assessed. We simply have to post it in a box/turnitin and read the comment 'not bad, 64' (genuine feedback I got on a 2000 worder in first year). Given the choice between two 65s on an assessed and a non or one 55 and a 75 it's a bit of a no brainer. I was agreeing with you about those posting moany fb statuses from elsewhere (which I personally think should be a capital offence anyway. No one, but no one, ever cares how difficult your essay/dissertation is enough for it to be necessary to broadcast it on fb).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Emrys141
Also, how much harder do you find the work/workload? Do you ever get used to being away from your family?

for me the work is not a huge step up from alevel and i am on a pretty demanding course with 9 - 5 lectures most days. sometimes i let my work pile up and it can be hard to manage.

as a person who travels a lot and has lived abroad i do not find that i miss my family at all really - so far ive been here nearly 10 weeks and have only seen my mum and dad once - which was not at home, but just for a night in london (we have a flat here so that dad does not have to commute daily) - i skype with them and my bro and cat(!) occasionally. i am beginning to miss home now, however i think it is more missing the home comforts than my actual family! i do miss my cat more than my family though.. sad i know!!
Original post by littlemissmidget123
for me the work is not a huge step up from alevel and i am on a pretty demanding course with 9 - 5 lectures most days. sometimes i let my work pile up and it can be hard to manage.

as a person who travels a lot and has lived abroad i do not find that i miss my family at all really - so far ive been here nearly 10 weeks and have only seen my mum and dad once - which was not at home, but just for a night in london (we have a flat here so that dad does not have to commute daily) - i skype with them and my bro and cat(!) occasionally. i am beginning to miss home now, however i think it is more missing the home comforts than my actual family! i do miss my cat more than my family though.. sad i know!!

Yes and yes, except for me it's my dog :sad:
Getting to sleep, people don't sleep here; going out, workload, messed up sleeping patterns make it hard to get shut eye and this has a knock-on effect on you making your lectures on time. having said this, the conversations you get at this time of the night are mind blowing.People are so honest/funny/random once they get into Uni life- have fun & good luck OP.
Someone is actually going past my window on a longboard @ 1:20. Living the dream..
At uni do you have a lecture every day or what. Someone explain to me how it works please
*Note* i'm a gcse student so i dont have a clue*
Original post by __Student__
At uni do you have a lecture every day or what. Someone explain to me how it works please

11 hours of "lessons" a week; a tutorial, lecture, seminar, lab work and hours added for work shops ect on top of the initial 11.

Thats first year, the work i spend on assignments may vary; ones that require research take me about 8-12hours, others 2hours :awesome: its not that bad atm.

What about you guys?
Original post by __Student__

It depends what course you're on. Science students tend to have quite a few hours a week, many have 9-5 days. Whereas arts students (that can be Geography, History, languages etc, not just art) will usually have fewer. Also, you don't just have lectures, you have seminars, tutorials and lab classes (but again, different for each course); all these are called contact hours.

I have 4 hours every day, but that's usually just one lecture and two/three seminars (some are 2 hours long), but I timetabled it so I get Wednesdays off :biggrin:
Having to do work :frown: It's a huge step up from a levels academically I think although I didn't do bad in first year got a 2.1, second year has been more of a step up than first too :frown:
Reply 59
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
Having to live in an inevitably freezing house in second and third year! I had a room with a wooden floor on the ground floor with the front door in the same room that had cracks in it and wasn't insulated so there was literally gaps to outside for the wind to blow through. Plus I was in the North of England! Brrrr.

ha, this is the only bad thing I could think of about uni, the freezing conditions of 2nd year student houses in the winter.

Everything else is great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending