The Student Room Group

Spliced and diced - perhaps one day, a little shredded!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
I find single leg split squats feel pretty nice, just got to be good at keeping your balance. Key is to ensure you're going down not forwards.

My balance ain't too bad, it's getting into the damned position which is hard, I always end up too close to the bench and hence can't go down to any reasonable depth. Not helped by super slippy benches which I slide around on. I'll stick to split squats I think :tongue:

Also.. my views on this blog is going up expotentially... up almost 2k in 2 days... more active blog or because I'm posting more in the debate forums.. who knows
(edited 9 years ago)
Is there a way of making text bold on the TSR app? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think so man, I have the same problem
Original post by Angry cucumber
My balance ain't too bad, it's getting into the damned position which is hard, I always end up too close to the bench and hence can't go down to any reasonable depth. Not helped by super slippy benches which I slide around on. I'll stick to split squats I think :tongue:

Ah yeah I know what you mean. First time I did them I was too close, took a few sets to get a good position.

What I find is best is to start away from the bench and put one leg backwards, find that a lot easier than starting close to the bench and trying to move away.

tbh the thing I've found hardest about them is keeping hold of the DBs in the latter sets. Chalk to arrive sooooon so should be all sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd have thought standard PHP code would work fine. [b ] TEXT HERE [/b ]

Obvs remove the spaces between b and ]
Don't think so man, I have the same problem

See above
I'd have thought standard PHP code would work fine. [b ] TEXT HERE [/b ]

Obvs remove the spaces between b and ]

Let's see if it works

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers man!

awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's see if it works

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how I do bold/italics/embed images/videos/urls etc all the time. Have been using online forums for various things for like 10 years now, I'm used to the times when PHP code was all we had and none of these easy buttons to click existed :biggrin:
See above

I misread R4Js post I know how to do it, I just cant see it on my phone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I misread R4Js post I know how to do it, I just cant see it on my phone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just type in the PHP code with square brackets to make text bold on your phone.
You just type in the PHP code with square brackets to make text bold on your phone.

I'm aware lol

I can make it bold for others, just when viewing posts you can't see bold on my phone

Posted from TSR Mobile

*BBCode, for future reference.
Original post by tehforum
*BBCode, for future reference.

So it is. Memory fail. Derp.
Today

30 mins ish of frisbee

1 mile on treadmill, sub 8 min time, hardish but will come back quick

Facepulls
level 5 3 x 10 PB These have solved my shoulder issue pretty much along with bands :biggrin:

Tricep cable rope pushdowns
level 5 3 x 8
(edited 9 years ago)
So nobody mentioned the 3x100kg bench pb? Beast. That's awesome. You're a good 5kg ahead of me. You ever tried a 1RM?

Sent from my HTC One
Nice to see someone plays a bit of cricket here! Do you not play any other uni/club cricket?

Bulgarian split squats feel really dodgy at first. I think the key is to pick a bench/platform for your trailing leg that is fairly low, mark the position your foot should be before hand - not too close, not too far - then start at the bottom position and warm up with no weight, then pick up the dumbbells for your sets at the bottom position. Balance will improve and it will blast your quad. Your heart rate will jump up, even for a heavy set of 5 in my case! Otherwise, just stick to step ups, regular split squats, walking lunges etc.

What body fat would you estimate your on and what is your aim? I gots cutting to do. Cheating every 2 weeks but going to have to go until I go back to uni in September at least. Sucks :frown:

Shoulder rehab = stretch pec, lat, traps, get internal rotation back if it's lost, strengthen anterior core, upper back (face pulls, Ts, Ys), external rotations, overhead holds (KB turkish get ups, DB kneel-to-stand amongst others), do lots of horizontal rowing with good form (at least more than pressing in sets/reps), don't pack your shoulders (let your scapula upwardly rotate, for the technical terms), do scap push ups and overhead shrugs, ideally no straight bar benching or overhead pressing (neutral grip is safer) but gotta do what you gotta/wanna do, do push ups, include yoga push ups, prone cobras/YTWs, band pull aparts and band dislocations in warm up. I'm sure there's more to it, but just thought I'd brainstorm as you said you had a bad shoulder.

Is it from sport like cricket or just lifting/life in general?
Original post by silent ninja
So nobody mentioned the 3x100kg bench pb? Beast. That's awesome. You're a good 5kg ahead of me. You ever tried a 1RM?

Sent from my HTC One

I did before Easter, I did 105kg but failed 110. I'm a little bit stronger these days.

I think I'll go for 100 3 x 3 tomorrow :biggrin: Or 97.5 for however many.. we'll see lol

Original post by BCcfc92
Nice to see someone plays a bit of cricket here! Do you not play any other uni/club cricket?

I used to play in my teens, but I stopped due to illness when I was 16, then when I was finally well enough I couldn't play for last season as I injured my right shoulder, farming. :redface:
If my back holds up I'll try and play a bit this summer back at home.

That game was for my campus team which is being set up and was against the local village :smile:
You play cricket to a decent level if memory serves... what are you, batsmen/ bowler?

I'm a leg spinner and a bit of a tail ender tbh, when I hold my nerve I can bat decently but usually I end up playing some god awful defensive poke and dolly it to a fielder. When my nerve holds I am well known for sending balls over/ at bowlers heads :biggrin:

Bulgarian split squats feel really dodgy at first. I think the key is to pick a bench/platform for your trailing leg that is fairly low, mark the position your foot should be before hand - not too close, not too far - then start at the bottom position and warm up with no weight, then pick up the dumbbells for your sets at the bottom position. Balance will improve and it will blast your quad. Your heart rate will jump up, even for a heavy set of 5 in my case! Otherwise, just stick to step ups, regular split squats, walking lunges etc.

Yeah, they're dodgy as hell to get into, will try this next time

What body fat would you estimate your on and what is your aim? I gots cutting to do. Cheating every 2 weeks but going to have to go until I go back to uni in September at least. Sucks :frown:

Er... I'm eating maintenance I'm somewhere between 83 and 84kgs at 5'10, about 17 ish bf%? Maybe, I don't really know tbh. I'm eating maintenance atm as I don't know whats going to happen with my back in terms of treatment. MRI soon hopefully.

Shoulder rehab = stretch pec, lat, traps, get internal rotation back if it's lost, strengthen anterior core, upper back (face pulls, Ts, Ys), external rotations, overhead holds (KB turkish get ups, DB kneel-to-stand amongst others), do lots of horizontal rowing with good form (at least more than pressing in sets/reps), don't pack your shoulders (let your scapula upwardly rotate, for the technical terms), do scap push ups and overhead shrugs, ideally no straight bar benching or overhead pressing (neutral grip is safer) but gotta do what you gotta/wanna do, do push ups, include yoga push ups, prone cobras/YTWs, band pull aparts and band dislocations in warm up. I'm sure there's more to it, but just thought I'd brainstorm as you said you had a bad shoulder.

Yeah it's my other shoulder that was bad - doing band dislocates and pull aparts with lots of facepulls has revolutionised my left shoulder tbh, no longer does it make a grating noise :biggrin:

Is it from sport like cricket or just lifting/life in general?

I was lifting to supplement my sport (cycling, running, ultimate frisbee amongst others) my ideal goal is to become a cross athlete, so to be able to be decent in the powerlifting world and decent in the cardio world, kind of like Alex Viada (that man is incredible tbh)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja

Sent from my HTC One

Today

30 mins ish of frisbee

1 mile on treadmill, sub 8 min time, hardish but will come back quick

Facepulls
level 5 3 x 10 PB These have solved my shoulder issue pretty much along with bands :biggrin:

Tricep cable rope pushdowns
level 5 3 x 8

I think the facepulls PB was much more impressive tbh.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
I think the facepulls PB was much more impressive tbh.

You sarcy so and so :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest