The Student Room Group

Student Finance: How is this fair??

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion, student finance does need to undergo some form of reevaluation. There needs to be a way to take into account factors such as family size and ability to provide to a child once they are at university, however I struggle to see how they can do this. I don't agree with the way in which it is simply assumed that just because my parents earn a certain amount that they don't face other financial demands or are able to provide to me. Yet until there is a feasible way for this to be incorporated into the assessment process, I can't envisage anything changing anytime soon. The system may be undesirable in its current state, but at least it attempts to operate "fairly"
Original post by manderton
with your own money, yes - which is exactly what the luxury allowance/job income will do.

However, why should there not be control & limitation on tax-payers money given to the student?

That's like saying there should be no control over MP's expenses and they should learn how to 'budget' those - well, we've seen how that worked out . . .

Student finance is paid back. MPs expenses aren't.
Original post by OU Student
Student finance is paid back. MPs expenses aren't.

I would honestly love to see some stats with regards to how much student finance is actually paid back - it wouldn't surprise me to find the majority of it isn't.

Here's an interesting quote I read in an article a few weeks back.

Martin Lewis - Head of the Independent Student Finance Taskforce

"You don’t have to pay it back that’s the point! It’s a payment based on financial success if you don’t have financial success, you don’t have to pay a penny."

Thus, I would strongly argue it is very much in the nation's interest to limit the potential black hole which will appear in 5-10 years time as the graduates from now - 10 years ago haven't paid back enough to fund the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending