The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you start 1st Oct you'd certainly finish on 1st Dec or thereabouts (definitely not the 19th!). 16th Jan sounds about right for the beginning of Lent term, yes.

Only think is, the term dates are usually on silly days (like, Tuesdays and Thursdays). When you actually "come up" is, most often, a weekend (for convenience only - this bit's pretty much up to you).

Yes, it's confusing. Hope that helps a bit!
Reply 2
Thanks.

Yeh i was thinking 19th dec is way too long for cambridge. it makes some sense now i suppose. :smile:
Its about right for York, who start later and finish far later. That may be where you got the idea from.
Reply 4
Six and a half weeks off...excellent!
Reply 5
You'll need it. It takes three weeks just to catch up on all the energy. It's crazy how tired I am by the end of term without realizing it.
Reply 6
Calvin
You'll need it. It takes three weeks just to catch up on all the energy. It's crazy how tired I am by the end of term without realizing it.

Hell yeah! And if you're doing an arts subject the remaining 3 weeks won't be enough time to catch up on all the stuff that you skipped during term time because you were too busy to do it at the time!
Reply 7
SirScally
Hell yeah! And if you're doing an arts subject the remaining 3 weeks won't be enough time to catch up on all the stuff that you skipped during term time because you were too busy to do it at the time!

"arts subject"...."busy"....:confused:

Are we really at the same college? :biggrin:
Probably. The biggest problem i find doing History is that it needs a lot of motivation. Its far too easy to say "I'm going to stay in bed" rather than get up and go to the library, or to say "bugger it" and lie around all afternoon doing nothing. Whereas with a science degree, you have a lot of timetabled time that fills up your days and dictates when and where you should be places.

In short, an arts subject's flexibility is its biggest curse and also biggest advantage!
Reply 9
SirScally

Please elaborate. I wasn't aware arts students had particularly busy schedules!
Reply 10
Haha! Nice one Boz!

Let me rephrase that - if you are doing Law, you will not have time to catch up on the stuff that you skimped during term time! Although our lecture timetable isn't as demanding as say, the scientists, we do have LOTS of reading to do - and I mean LOTS! :biggrin:
Reply 11
N9ne
Please elaborate. I wasn't aware arts students had particularly busy schedules!

That's just because you guys call an essay anything where you have to write more than a page. We call that jotting down a quick note before going to the library to read 200 pages
Reply 12
Calvin
That's just because you guys call an essay anything where you have to write more than a page. We call that jotting down a quick note before going to the library to read 200 pages

Too true.:frown:
Reply 13
don't you pay for like an extra week's lodgings outside of "term"?
Reply 14
Quite often the rent that you pay will be for ten weeks, so that you can stay an extra week on either side
Reply 15
well i'm not going to pay for something i'm not getting the benefit from! i'm staying as long as i'm allowed :p:
Reply 16
Just to point out a bit of an obvious point really, your period of residence that you pay for will vary according to which College you go to.

Latest

Trending

Trending