The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by maskofsanity
Do they? Where are your sources for this other than anecdotal evidence?

Do they what? Experience pressure at a younger age or want to lose weight?

Either way, the answer is yes - and yes, there have been a number of studies on this. I am by no means an expert on the subject but in the past I have trawled through a fair amount of work on the subject, at first because of sociology assignments and later just because it's something I find really interesting (albeit disturbing), especially because I have two young nieces and I can already, sadly, see the effects of the media on them. Hearing a six year old express a desire to be "prettier" and like the "perfect" girl in their favourite TV show is just horrible.

The age of girls being admitted into clinics to treat anorexia / bulimia / other eating disorders has fallen in the last few years - the youngest patients to be treated for anorexia were 8 year olds (I think these stats were taken from 2011), but others were admitted for other disorders aged 6. SIX. Yes - boys suffer from anorexia too (and it is increasing), but girls are affected from a younger age and in greater numbers. Flick to any TV show aimed at girls, pick up any doll aimed at girls and the messages they are sending across are just plain disturbing. Girls who have been brought up with Barbies (and Bratz / similar toys / TV shows) are more likely to be admitted for eating disorders - is it any wonder when you look at them? Boys just do not have that kind of message growing up.
Reply 81
We did a study in biology once on how the male and female minds work towards things such as body figures.
It's been proven that women will look at models etc. (and I don't mean stick thin models... It will be whatever shape your mind will subconsciously be jealous of) and instantly put themselves down (subconsciously), whereas the male mind wont even care.
Consciously women then pick out the flaws in others, as a way to either make themselves feel better about their own figure, or to try and make other people believe that the model is wrong and therefore look at the other woman as how a figure should be... If anyone is following me here?
Hard to explain, but yeah...
Original post by emilie18
Do they what? Experience pressure at a younger age or want to lose weight?

Either way, the answer is yes - and yes, there have been a number of studies on this. I am by no means an expert on the subject but in the past I have trawled through a fair amount of work on the subject, at first because of sociology assignments and later just because it's something I find really interesting (albeit disturbing), especially because I have two young nieces and I can already, sadly, see the effects of the media on them. Hearing a six year old express a desire to be "prettier" and like the "perfect" girl in their favourite TV show is just horrible.

The age of girls being admitted into clinics to treat anorexia / bulimia / other eating disorders has fallen in the last few years - the youngest patients to be treated for anorexia were 8 year olds (I think these stats were taken from 2011), but others were admitted for other disorders aged 6. SIX. Yes - boys suffer from anorexia too (and it is increasing), but girls are affected from a younger age and in greater numbers. Flick to any TV show aimed at girls, pick up any doll aimed at girls and the messages they are sending across are just plain disturbing. Girls who have been brought up with Barbies (and Bratz / similar toys / TV shows) are more likely to be admitted for eating disorders - is it any wonder when you look at them? Boys just do not have that kind of message growing up.

I'm not arguing that girls are not more affected, I'm arguing that girls are not more pressured. All of the arguments you have used about pressure are the same for guys. Go look at an Action Man; go look at the TV shows for boys - they revolve around the idea of an Alpha Male - big, strong, tall, handsome. Boys do have that message, you're just too biased to see it.
Thing is...I wouldn't really want a boyf who was the gym all the time , and for all the guys I know who are into the gym, or lifting, it is something of a religion. I mean, more power to them, but not only do I not particularly go for e aesthetic, I would just get bored of the constant gym.
Original post by Jimbo1234

Oh hey, look at this! Apparently all degrees are equal, all jobs are the same, and we live on a cloud made from candy and communism! Oh wait...
Just find the figures on how few women do sciences at uni and then come back and apologise for being misinformed.

When depression is self inflicted rather than due to bad circumstances, I will fairly stigmatise the person. Mummy and daddy are well paid professionals who support their child all the way through uni. buy them a car, etc etc, not methed up crack whores and gun toting idiots.
The "men kill themselves more" is just distorted figures by feminists. Women actually attempt suicide more, guys are just more successful.

Oh I have no problem, they are the ones who are hostile, fearful, aggressive, inadequate etc. How many times have you had guys utterly freak out when they have to talk to you and just look like a deer in headlights or would rather sit in silence than make polite conversation because god forbid, you talk to a guy without trying to hit on them :rolleyes: This is why I love foreign women. They understand this thing called conversation. They say something interesting, you reply, and you go from there. Hell, I've had the best conversations with foreign women and English is not even their first or second language! But again, always the guys fault, never the womans.

:rofl:

Your entire post is so full of generalisations, I'm going to pick on the most ridiculous points because I've got to be up early for a lab tomorrow. Wait, what?! But I'm a girl!!! And I'm doing science?! WHAT IS THIS FANTASY? Pharmacy's a science and actually the make-up of my course is predominantly female, I can't definitely say if that's the case for all universities but it certainly is at mine. Certain science-based subjects such as engineering and physics do admittedly have fewer girls than boys, however, to generalise over the vast scope of sciences and say hardly any girls do them is ridiculous.

Depression isn't self-inflicted. How much your family earns has nothing to do with it, seeing as it's due to a deficiency of dopamine and serotonin in the brain. I don't think anyone decides "Hey, I want to be miserable, I'll just not bother producing any dopamine today!" It doesn't work like that. That's like saying "Hey, I want cancer, cells, you just go and divide like crazy, it'll be a right laugh" So don't take a serious condition lightly. You are right with the suicide figures though. Although men are also statistically less likely to seek help for depression.

I wasn't aware that I was hitting on every boy I spoke to. If I'm discussing the Smiths with someone, it's not because I'm hitting on them, it's because, shock horror, I actually like the Smiths. Mentioning Shakespeare is not a "Come to bed" signal, it's just something I happen to be interested in. Conversation, not such a forgotten skill as you evidently believe. I actually like talking to people, just because a girl's acting in a way you might perceive as "flirty", doesn't mean she's hitting on you, that's just how some people are, men included. One of my friends appears quite flirty but she's not, she really is just being friendly.

Latest

Trending

Trending