The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abbseh
I love my small class! It means the teacher is always super attentive and available to help if needed in class :smile:

I wish mine was like that! It's not bad, but I'm not the worst there so I don't get helped much, but I'm not the best and don't like asking too many questions so don't get that attention either :colondollar: My own fault I guess... And it doesn't help that one of the teachers (we have two) is completely awful and won't help anyone anyway :tongue:
Reply 381
Original post by furryface12
I wish mine was like that! It's not bad, but I'm not the worst there so I don't get helped much, but I'm not the best and don't like asking too many questions so don't get that attention either :colondollar: My own fault I guess... And it doesn't help that one of the teachers (we have two) is completely awful and won't help anyone anyway :tongue:

I have two teachers too but luckily they're both very good :smile: I guess that's the good side of a large class, you can disappear easier if you don't know the answer to a question or don't want a question. It's not going to be so easy to hide when there is only three of us :frown:
Reply 382
It's okay though. I mean I have the same class experience like u.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Abbseh
I have two teachers too but luckily they're both very good :smile: I guess that's the good side of a large class, you can disappear easier if you don't know the answer to a question or don't want a question. It's not going to be so easy to hide when there is only three of us :frown:

I'm sure you'll be fine- they'll notice if you don't know it, but then they might do something about it! Could be a bit scary but probably better than the alternative :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
What kind of summer work/reading are people doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went to my sisters AS result day, same sixth form i'll be attending.

Nearly everyone who did Physics got bad grades like Ds and Cs. 1 or 2 people got an A or B.

I wanted to do it but after that I'm so afraid. Is there another maybe easier A-level then Physics.

I am not 100% sure but I may want to do Medicine.

Please help it would mean a lot.

Except of changing physics, shall I do 5 Alevels then find out whether Physics is good or not then eventually drop it ??

I need to let them know tomorrow please help.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by passionate27
I went to my sisters AS result day, same sixth form i'll be attending.

Nearly everyone who did Physics got bad grades like Ds and Cs. 1 or 2 people got an A or B.

I wanted to do it but after that I'm so afraid. Is there another maybe easier A-level then Physics.

I am not 100% sure but I may want to do Medicine.

Please help it would mean a lot.

Except of changing physics, shall I do 5 Alevels then find out whether Physics is good or not then eventually drop it ??

I need to let them know tomorrow please help.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's up to you- if you're good at physics and are prepared to work at it then go for it, but it's not one of those subjects you can just mess around in and still get a decent grade. It's not necessary to take physics for medicine if you have chemistry and biology, a lot of people do but then drop it after AS though. Taking 5 then dropping one could be a good idea- I did that at the beginning of the year and dropped biology, but my friend didn't drop any of hers and carried on with five so that's fine too if you can manage it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
It's up to you- if you're good at physics and are prepared to work at it then go for it, but it's not one of those subjects you can just mess around in and still get a decent grade. It's not necessary to take physics for medicine if you have chemistry and biology, a lot of people do but then drop it after AS though. Taking 5 then dropping one could be a good idea- I did that at the beginning of the year and dropped biology, but my friend didn't drop any of hers and carried on with five so that's fine too if you can manage it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I wilk be doing biology and chemistry too. Probably do 5 and see. I am prepared to do physics like I looked over the AS textbook. I didn't find it too bad, idk maybe the papers are really difficult.

Thanks again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, I wilk be doing biology and chemistry too. Probably do 5 and see. I am prepared to do physics like I looked over the AS textbook. I didn't find it too bad, idk maybe the papers are really difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're very different to GCSE but not too bad imo, then again I did a lot worse in the exam than in practice! And it's fine, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Durham university in a study found that it is the hardest A level there is. I also did worse in the real thing than in practice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
I will be doing

Physics
Maths
Psychology
Geography

And I have till Tuesday to change it if I like.

So what do you think about them?

I didn't any longer wanna do bio and chem

Please help, what courses could I do at Uni with these A-levels?

I am worried about Psychology, I have heard it is too much work. So any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 391
I will be doing

Physics
Maths
Psychology
Geography

And I have till Tuesday to change it if I like.

So what do you think about them?

I didn't any longer wanna do bio and chem

Please help, what courses could I do at Uni with these A-levels?

I am worried about Psychology, I have heard it is too much work. So any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Are these your AS or A2 levels? They look perfectly fine to me. Out of them I do physics and maths, both very enjoyable, physics less so for me at AS level, a lot of it we met at IGCSE, but the A2 course looks a lot better :biggrin:
You could do a huge range of courses with these A levels, it depends really what you want to get into I suppose, what are you thinking of?
Original post by Agate
What kind of summer work/reading are people doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you reading?

I'm pretty much going through the A2 syllabus. :tongue: I'm also getting a bit into Quantum Mech but I prefer the chemistry side there than the physics.
Reply 393
I've looked through the first few chapters of the A2 syllabus (AQA) and decided i may as well just do some M2/3 instead of the maths from physics A2, not looked at the electricity stuff yet ^^ I have also been reading some physics pop sci books as well as select sections from Feynman lectures I and looking at/ attempting to do the cavendish QM primer chapters 1/2, gosh it's been a fun holiday :colone: Don't get me started on my EPQ, can't wait till its over -.-
Is anyone else in the awkward position where the subject they're dropping next year is the best they achieved at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The papers are not really difficult.
Reply 395
Hey, I'm looking to apply for physics 2014 entry. I currently do maths chemistry and physics at a2 and dropped biology. I got 4A grades at as and I think I can get 3A* predicted grades. However since I don't have further maths will I be considered for top uni's like imperial or Warwick?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by v.007
Hey, I'm looking to apply for physics 2014 entry. I currently do maths chemistry and physics at a2 and dropped biology. I got 4A grades at as and I think I can get 3A* predicted grades. However since I don't have further maths will I be considered for top uni's like imperial or Warwick?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Further Maths is highly recommended for physics, which is why I'm planning to self teach it next year. However, it is not a requirement at any university, and if your school doesn't offer it, not having it shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on your chances of getting an offer. With 3A* predicted grades, I don't think you'll have any problems getting into a top university :smile:
I'm curious as to what everyone wants to do with their physics degree after they've completed it? I'm hopefully going to go on to do a PhD as I want to go into research. If that doesn't work out, or I chance my mind on doing research, my back up plan is currently to do a PGCE and go into teaching.
Reply 398
Original post by King Hotpie
Further Maths is highly recommended for physics, which is why I'm planning to self teach it next year. However, it is not a requirement at any university, and if your school doesn't offer it, not having it shouldn't have any effect whatsoever on your chances of getting an offer. With 3A* predicted grades, I don't think you'll have any problems getting into a top university :smile:

Thanks for that. It's not that my school didn't offer it. It's that it clashed with chemistry. Since I wanted to originally to medicine I needed to keep chemistry so I had to drop FM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by v.007
Thanks for that. It's not that my school didn't offer it. It's that it clashed with chemistry. Since I wanted to originally to medicine I needed to keep chemistry so I had to drop FM

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't approve of your school's scheduling. Nonetheless just Maths will suffice, the essential stuff from Further Maths will be covered in first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending