The Student Room Group

Physics 2014 Entry Hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by cadence
(I'm being naughty: I'm a current physics student, but this caught my eye.) There are a wide range of careers you can go into after studying physics. Some people choose to go into research, and go on to do a PhD and go down that route. For those who don't, there are careers in industry: you could go into research and development for a company, for example. As you've said, you can become a teacher. In a physics degree, you're fairly likely to learn some computer programming, and some people find they enjoy that and go into computer programming. A physics degree demonstrates that you are numerate, and so people who choose not to stay in physics after their degree might consider accounting/other things of that type. As someone else said, other jobs which don't require a specific degree are open to you as well. Personally, I want to become a medical physicist in the NHS, essentially making sure that radiation is used safely and appropriately in hospitals. I certainly wouldn't have known I wanted to do that when I applied for my degree! If physics interests you, don't worry too much about the fact that you don't know what you would like to do with it yet: there are plenty of careers opportunities in physics, and you would probably hear about a lot as an undergraduate.

Also don't worry about the fact that you don't know what area of physics you would like to go into: you would try a lot of things at university before you had to make any definite decisions. The fact that physics covers everything from the sub-atomic to the cosmos means that there are a lot of different areas of it, many of which you have probably never heard of. You do need a good physical aptitude, but especially at good universities, maths is much more important: one major difference between A levels and undergraduate level is how mathematical everything is.

I hope that's helped?

thank you very very much- that really did help :smile:
Original post by Tit
Alright guys. Imperial physics with theoretical physics (A*A*A) or warwick maths+physics (A*AA)?

I have an offer for physics at Warwick (which I was thinking of switching to maths and physics if I were to go), but I'm choosing Imperial over it. I'd prefer to try out living in London than on a campus, but you might be completely different. Think that's a big factor in choosing between the two :smile:
Original post by IlariaM
I'm going to firm Imperial but I can't decide between Manchester and Bristol for my insurance.
I think they're quite similar in terms of teaching quality and, being an EU student, one of the most important factors for me it's their international reputation.
Which one would you personally choose? :smile:

I'm firming Imperial and most likely insuring Bristol too :smile: I visited both and ended up not applying to Manchester. I prefered Bristol as a place... but I'm probably biased as it's closer to where I live :P
Reply 1823
I'm also probably firming Imperial and insuring Bristol!

Finally got my last offers through last week (all for straight Physics, four years):
Imperial A*A*A
Warwick A*AA
Nottingham A*AA
Bristol ABB
(Cambridge rejected me after interview)

The only thing that terrifies me is, what if I miss the offer by one A* and Imperial turn me away? I'd be gutted if that happens as I still would've made Warwick's offer. But I do like Bristol too so I'm pretty happy :smile:
Durham vs St Andrews for Physics?
Original post by naomirebecca1

Durham any, and every, day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1826

Durham.

Durham. And that's not just cos I got an offer from them whilst St Andrews rejected me :angry:
Reply 1828
Original post by saddle098
I have an offer for physics at Warwick (which I was thinking of switching to maths and physics if I were to go), but I'm choosing Imperial over it. I'd prefer to try out living in London than on a campus, but you might be completely different. Think that's a big factor in choosing between the two :smile:

Are they equivalent in all other aspects though? I hear people talking about imperial's prestige but a) is it true?, b) is it a big deal?, c) does it really blow Warwick's out of the water? I thought Warwick's maths department was one of the best!
Original post by Tit
Are they equivalent in all other aspects though? I hear people talking about imperial's prestige but a) is it true?, b) is it a big deal?, c) does it really blow Warwick's out of the water? I thought Warwick's maths department was one of the best!

I think the maths departments are held in similar regard, but Imperial's physics department is seen to be slightly better?... this just comes from league tables though.

I don't really think it would make a huge difference in the long run. From both you'll still end up with a good degree :smile:
Original post by sessess
I'm also probably firming Imperial and insuring Bristol
The only thing that terrifies me is, what if I miss the offer by one A* and Imperial turn me away? I'd be gutted if that happens as I still would've made Warwick's offer. But I do like Bristol too so I'm pretty happy :smile:

Ahh I have the same concerns. I couldn't help but feel a little overqualified for Bristol's offer if I just missed by one. It's hard to remember that the severity of the offer isn't proportional to how good the university is :P
Reply 1831
Original post by saddle098
Ahh I have the same concerns. I couldn't help but feel a little overqualified for Bristol's offer if I just missed by one. It's hard to remember that the severity of the offer isn't proportional to how good the university is :P

Exactly! But I'm pretty sure the average entry grades for Bristol are higher than their offers and they have an excellent reputation so I'm trying to focus on that to take the pressure off.
I'm visiting Edinburgh next Wednesday, anyone here also attending?

Also I'm so stuck deciding between Edinburgh and Bristol, i'm hoping this visit will help me to arrive at a decision, but otherwise it is just so difficult
Original post by alow
They're really not. So many schools cheat that the become pointless and the boundaries are inflated :s-smilie:

I would prefer to have two 150UMS exams and no ISAs tbh.

Yeh exactly I think they should just scrap it cus there's no way they could monitor it to ensure no schools are cheating- my physics teachers tell us nothing which is fine (of course) but its pretty frustrating when in many other schools they're just told what to put when I have to work for it agh :/
Yup so would I, if they want to test us in analysing an experiment they could just put in a q there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1834
Original post by LucyW456
Yeh exactly I think they should just scrap it cus there's no way they could monitor it to ensure no schools are cheating- my physics teachers tell us nothing which is fine (of course) but its pretty frustrating when in many other schools they're just told what to put when I have to work for it agh :/
Yup so would I, if they want to test us in analysing an experiment they could just put in a q there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is frustrating.

You're right! It would be brilliant if they could just have a question where you're given data from an experiment and have to do it like an ISA, but teachers couldn't tell you what to write.
Original post by LucyW456

Posted from TSR Mobile

My physics teachers have always been really strict on this. (Although, there was a huge scandal in the biology ISA last year, leading to them all doing EMPAS this year). It just means that this year, now regulations have been tightened up, we're all still prepared!
Reply 1836
Original post by ExcitinglyMundane
My physics teachers have always been really strict on this. (Although, there was a huge scandal in the biology ISA last year, leading to them all doing EMPAS this year). It just means that this year, now regulations have been tightened up, we're all still prepared!

Aqa empa last year was horrendous, if i miss the A* it will be purely due to the practical

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1837
Original post by MayGenevieve
Ooh, which halls did you apply for (accommodation wise)?

What's your insurance?

I think I went for Tennis Courts... It was a long time ago when I applied for accommodation though!
My insurance is Sheffield, again for BSc. I wanted to go far away from the south coast, boring down here.

What about you?
Reply 1838
Random question, but.. how do you picture physics?! Like what do you think of in your head when someone says physics ?!
Reply 1839
Original post by luucyy
Random question, but.. how do you picture physics?! Like what do you think of in your head when someone says physics ?!

Maths with meaning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending