The Student Room Group

Receiving a place?

What happens when you hear back from the American colleges you have applied to? In America they are notified ~1st April, but would that be the same for the UK?

More importantly, if you are given a place, is it binding or can the university withdraw the offer based on A level grades?

Thank you!
You will be notified at the same time as US students. You then have until May 1st (normally) to accept or decline. The one you accept will then send you a form for your visa application. Get your visa asap. Book your flights. Fill in any accommodation forms etc that the uni sends you (again asap - the faster you get them back the more likely you are to get a good room!). That's it!

US uni offers are not conditional like they are in the UK - they aren't based on your A Level results. But they will want to see that you continue to perform at least reasonably well at school, especially if your admission was competitive. I believe offers can be withdrawn in extreme circumstances - but don't worry, this won't happen if your grades are one less than predicted. Plus, it benefits you to do as well as possible on A Levels because good results sometimes allow you to get automatic credit towards your degree, allowing you to skip some annoying prerequisite courses once you get to uni.
Reply 2
Original post by John Wallis
You will be notified at the same time as US students. You then have until May 1st (normally) to accept or decline. The one you accept will then send you a form for your visa application. Get your visa asap. Book your flights. Fill in any accommodation forms etc that the uni sends you (again asap - the faster you get them back the more likely you are to get a good room!). That's it!

US uni offers are not conditional like they are in the UK - they aren't based on your A Level results. But they will want to see that you continue to perform at least reasonably well at school, especially if your admission was competitive. I believe offers can be withdrawn in extreme circumstances - but don't worry, this won't happen if your grades are one less than predicted. Plus, it benefits you to do as well as possible on A Levels because good results sometimes allow you to get automatic credit towards your degree, allowing you to skip some annoying prerequisite courses once you get to uni.

Thank you, but how do I actually find out if I got it? Is it an e-mail, a letter, do I have to log onto a certain site, the common app?
You know, I'm not sure. I expect it's different at each uni. You certainly will receive something in the mail at some point if you're accepted, as they have to send you a whole bunch of forms and stuff, but the initial note of acceptance may be online, especially for international students (saves time/money). You definitely don't have to log on to the common app or any other site, like you do with UCAS in the UK - they'll send you the message personally, either by mail or email. If it's a big deal for you, you can always call them up and check how it's done, just to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending