The Student Room Group

Would you judge somebody who did a charity head shave?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by edithwashere
I have tattoos that I regret, and I'm stuck with them til I can afford the hundreds it'll take to remove/cover them up. Those are really permanent, but they don't bother me so much. Hair grows back, and given how fast mine grows I'd guess it wouldn't stay shaven for long.

I've had short hair before, pixie cuts and the like, and loved it - my hair is only its current length because I've been too lazy/poor to go to a hairdresser in the past 3 or so years. I also get the feeling that to raise the optimum i.e. the most amount of money for charity, I need to do something that has a shock factor - shaving your head from longer hair is a much bigger deal than shaving a pixie cut, it's making a statement I guess.

Frankly, I really really want to shave my head, and have wanted to for ages. Doing it for charity just means I can do some good along with it - I would do it now if I could, but I'd rather wait a bit and help a good cause in the process.

I'm not trying to jump on a bandwagon, I know Jessie J just shaved her hair off for comic relief (think it really suits her actually, more than the butt-ugly black bob and fringe combo) but I've wanted to do this for a good few years now, I've just not really got around to it.

I know I'll get bad comments and judgements, but surely that'll just show me who my real friends are - I don't see how it can offend some people so much, they seem to take it personally when really it's just my hair, maybe it's just that I'm doing something unconventional that they don't like it? :confused:

Oh and to the poster further above who said I'd look like a butch lesbian, I wear Doc Martens and I'm a feminist, so I get called a butch lesbian as an insult fairly frequently anyway, doesn't bother me - I like lesbians :biggrin:

I wouldn't judge. In fact, if it was socially acceptable for females to have a shaven head, I would do it for a while. Must feel so liberating... Anyway, you're doing it for a good cause, and as you've said, it's just hair... It'll grow back. DO IT!
Reply 21
Original post by edithwashere
Hi everybody,

I've been planning for almost a year now to do a sponsored head shave, to raise money for a couple of local charities. I currently have mid length, boring mousy hair, that is absolutely nothing special - if anything because I'm lazy, I just scrape it back in a ponytail most days and don't make any special effort unless it's a really nice occasion. I've wanted to shave my head for ages just because I like the way it feels (all fuzzy and soft!) and I figured doing so and raising money for charity would be a really good and selfless thing to do.

However, I've got a fair bit of backlash from friends and older family members for suggesting the idea. I don't know if it's because I'm female, and traditionally women don't cut their hair that short, or just because they don't like the idea. I understand that some people will never understand (my grandparents are just too conservative to get it) but would you judge a woman for shaving her hair off for charity?

I don't know if it's just gender stereotypes (nobody bats an eyelid if a man shaves his head) but some friends have called it "attention seeking" and said things like "you'll just look like a butch lesbian". I'd get it if I was doing it to seek attention, but really I'm fed up of having long hair and having to take an extra 20 minutes to dry it after a shower, and I figured if I cut it short it'll always just grow back, and raising money for charity can't be a bad thing, no?

I'd like to hear your opinions :smile:

Edit: not sure why I've been negged, perhaps somebody doesn't like bald ladies...

I think it's cool! Apart from the obvious good cause thing, it is brave.

I honestly believe that parents see long hair in girls as a sign of innocence, so always find it hard for a girl to have her long her cut. But you are an adult, it is your decision. Not everyone suits really short hair, but girls with naturally sweet faces and delicate features can look lovely with it. It actually takes a very feminine woman to pull off the look! You'll probably get some haters, but many others will think you look cool. Also you'll get called Sinead O'Connor a lot, heh.
Reply 22
If anybody is interested in sponsoring me btw, the link is in my sig! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending