The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Terms

Hi all,

First post on the board so fingers crossed it's not ridiculous.

I seriously considering open university to study in my spare time but one question I have that I can't seem to find the answer to is; does OU have terms?

My course would start in October and I will start with one module to break my self in gently, however come the summer can I continue to pick up modules or do I need to wait until October again.

In short, is OU open to me all year round?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Most modules run from Sept/Oct to June, or Jan/Feb to Oct. Some have start dates for both periods, some will only run for one of those timings. So depending on which modules you choose, the OU can be a year-round thing. I'm in my fourth and final year of my degree and only had one gap as far as I can remember, which was from Oct 2012 to Feb 2013, when I started my last 2 modules. Other than that my modules have been running continuously.

(some modules also start in April or June I believe but I don't think there are many with that start date)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Just to expand a bit on what Kate said, the OU seem to be moving towards primarily starting things in October - so, moving forwards, there may be fewer opportunities to study all year round than there have been in the past...
Reply 3
Thanks for the replays. I was thinking if I did part time I could use the summer to speed things up. It's possible I'm trying to run before I can walk with this.
Reply 4
Original post by RobboJnr
Thanks for the replays. I was thinking if I did part time I could use the summer to speed things up. It's possible I'm trying to run before I can walk with this.

Has anyone got anything to add to this, any help would be appreciated.
Original post by RobboJnr
Has anyone got anything to add to this, any help would be appreciated.

Well, the big 60 point courses tend to either run from October to June, or January to October. The smaller courses (10-15 points) can start in October/November, and then there's quite a few that start anywhere from Janurary to May.
Reply 6
Original post by Lazuliblue
The smaller courses (10-15 points) can start in October/November, and then there's quite a few that start anywhere from Janurary to May.

Yeah, but they're in the process of ditching most (all?) of the 10-credit Level 1 stuff, and the (15-credit) Openings modules run for the last time this year (they seem to be bringing in Access modules next year: 30 credits, Feb or Oct start, and they look pretty ghastly if you ask me - they seem to be an exercise in wodging the largest possible number of subjects into the smallest possible space. "Arts and languages"? "People, work and society"? Yeesh.)

I guess if there carry on being enough February start modules as well as October ones, and depending on the modules you do and whether you mind doubling up sometimes, you could possibly keep going year round. But I do think it'll be harder to do that in the future than it used to be, because everything seems to be moving towards bigger modules running less often.
Original post by Persipan
Yeah, but they're in the process of ditching most (all?) of the 10-credit Level 1 stuff, and the (15-credit) Openings modules run for the last time this year (they seem to be bringing in Access modules next year: 30 credits, Feb or Oct start, and they look pretty ghastly if you ask me - they seem to be an exercise in wodging the largest possible number of subjects into the smallest possible space. "Arts and languages"? "People, work and society"? Yeesh.)

I guess if there carry on being enough February start modules as well as October ones, and depending on the modules you do and whether you mind doubling up sometimes, you could possibly keep going year round. But I do think it'll be harder to do that in the future than it used to be, because everything seems to be moving towards bigger modules running less often.

Oh wow, I didn't know they were getting rid of the 10 pointers. They really are changing everything aren't they....not sure if it's going to be very beneficial for the students in the end.
Reply 8
Thanks guys, I have registered and applied for funding. Going for Computing & IT - Networking.

First module is TU100 - My Digital Life

I'm excited to start!

Quick Reply

Latest