The Student Room Group

Would my gcses affect my chances of going to a top uni?

there, I was just wondering if my gcses would hinder my chances of going to a good uni, not oxford or canbridge, but a top 20 would be nice.
Gcse
Engllish lit B
English lan B
Maths B
Science core A
Science additional A
History B
Business A
French B
R.E B
Graphics B
3A 6B
Then my A levels were AAAA in Biology chemistry, Economics and polotics.
Considering I have a good PS, and relavant work experiance, would my Gcses really affect my application.
Also, I want to do either Biomedical sciences or Business and management at uni.
Thansk:smile:
Reply 1
Four As at A level make it pretty certain that nobody will care about your GCSEs
Reply 2
YOu have 4 A's at A Level, that top standard anyway, your GCSE's will not matter
no you'll be fine places like southampton most of london unis manchester etc all good all in the top 10 you'll have no trouble

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks everyone, youve reassured me, Its mailny my teachers saying your gcses arent very strong.
Reply 5
I got pretty much the same 4A 5B, not stopping me from applying to top unis shouldn't stop you either go for it :smile: your teachers sound lost lol
Original post by The HIT-MAN
Thanks everyone, youve reassured me, Its mailny my teachers saying your gcses arent very strong.

No other university looks at GCSE's. I don't even think Cambridge look at them, only Oxford really.
Your A level grades are more than enough to get you into basically any university so good job! :smile:
Reply 7
I could be wrong but I think uni's do check your maths and English grades unless you've studied these subjects at A-level. With B's you'll be fine either way though.
My GCSEs were worse, I got an offer from Exteter which I think is 10th? And 3 other Russel Group Unis. The last one I declined so will never know if I's have gotten an offer.
Original post by herothing11
No other university looks at GCSE's. I don't even think 1b]Cambridge look at them,
only Oxford really.
Your A level grades are more than enough to get you into basically any university so good job! :smile:

Cambridge will look at GCSEs I assure you.
My GCSEs were good, but distinctly average (even below average) , coming from the (private) school that I did.

I was predicted 4As, but I got rejections from top uni's, and I was told it was because of my poor GCSE's, and that they didn't believ I would get those grades.

Even when I applied post a level, I get a couple of offers (and an offer for the one i wanted thankfully!), but still got rejections on the same basis.

I honestly think it was because I came from a top 5 girls private school, and they took that into account. So I think it depends on your school, and compare these grades with your school's ability.

However, as a student ambassador for UCL we're told to tell prospective candidates that UCL only want Bs in maths and English, as well as a foreign language GCSE. But that's my experience as well.
I got in to uni with well below average grades I'm not talking C and D's here I mean were talking E's 2F's and a double C in science But I have an honors degree now so sod it in the real world GCSE's don't matter 1 iota
Original post by Miracle Day
Cambridge will look at GCSEs I assure you.

We had a talk from an admissions officer and they said they look at your UMS from your AS exams only. They want to see 95%+ and if they are happy they'll invite you to an interview, they do not base their offers on GCSE's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending