The Student Room Group

Personal Trainer Hassling Me

I've recently joined the gym with my friend. I wouldn't say that I'm fat or chubby I am quite slim (uk 10) I joined the gym to help support my friend who is a bit chubby to lose weight. We are going on a holiday next month so I used this opportunity to keep fit for that.

So anyway I usually go gym around 8:30pm after I finish uni and some uni work, me and my friend live together in apartment near our uni. The gym is relatively close to my apartment so me and my friend walk it to the gym and walk it back. So far it's only been 4 weeks since we joined and made a promise to my friend I will always go with her to help her lose weight (so far she's lost almost a stone because our regular visits to the gym, which is really good)

Obviously when you go to the gym there are personal trainers available to help you and the personal trainers in my gym are very helpful and polite but there's just this one. He came over last week and asked me and my friend who we require any help, we both said no. But he started talking to me more directly after asking me what I am doing in the gym. I never said I am here to support my friend all I said was I wish to tone up. He stated how he could help me, but I politely said no thank you.

Me and my friend go to the gym 5 days a week Mon - Fri. And everyday that personal trainer comes up to me (only me! Not my friend!! Just me!!) he'll always ask if I want his personal training, and very personal questions which make me feel rather uncomfortable and awkward. Questions such as; so you seeing anybody? Why do you need to come gym you look fit anyway? What religion are you? How old are you? I always see him checking me out, he makes me nervous (and not in a good way)

i always refuse to tell him my information so he must of looked me up on the system and found out all my details and started questioning me about it like my age, my occupation etc.....

he will come to me every day and talk to only me for about a good 30 - 40 minutes. Only 2 days ago I was running on the treadmill and he tried to touch my hand when I was increasing my speed. I don't know what to do! I want to stop coming gym but my friend needs me. If I stop going, she'll stop going and then she won't lose any weight and continue to get picked on for being heavy.

i did warn him off after he touched well tried to touch my hand. I told him to stop coming to me, and to stop talking to me and if he ever tries to do anything like he just did ever again I'll get him fired. Then I left! But as scared as I was he never approached me yesterday he kept his distance and didn't ever say hello (I LIKE IT!!!) but I can always feel him giving me dirty looks and I feel he's bad mouthing me to other clients (i could just be paranoid but I don't know)

ever since I told him to back off I've been getting late night withheld calls on my phone. This withheld number will phone me like 7-8 times a day. I'm not sure if its him or just someone pranking me :s-smilie:

any advice? :frown:
Reply 1
Could you not go to the gym with your friend at a different time when he's not working? Definitely tell a manager or some one in charge, tell them everything. Don't feel guilty if you get him fired, he sounds like a ****.
I would put in a complaint guy sounds like a ****ing creep.
Original post by Anonymous

And everyday that personal trainer comes up to me (only me! Not my friend!! Just me!!) he'll always ask if I want his personal training, and very personal questions which make me feel rather uncomfortable and awkward.

he will come to me every day and talk to only me for about a good 30 - 40 minutes. Only 2 days ago I was running on the treadmill and he tried to touch my hand when I was increasing my speed.

You should make a complaint to the gym staff and if they attempt to brush it off ask to speak to a manager. I'm sure most people get bothered occasionally at the gym by under-employed personal trainers trying to find work but this guy has gone way beyond that into harassment.
You're paying to use the facilities and you shouldn't have to deal with that sort of behaviour from an employee. The management need to know about this so that they can put a stop to it. It's inappropriate, and you need to speak up about it. I'm sure the management of the gym will be very bothered about it, but if not, take your custom elsewhere and get a refund of your membership.
Reply 5
Wow, sounds like a breach of the rules, you should seek some freebies as a form of compensation, tell the guy to get lost, politely or not, your choice. And if it continues then go to the top, he will get warned.

If someone I didn't particularly like bugged me for more than five mins while I was trying to work out they would get told to go away, or feel the icy chill of my shoulder.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just tell him straight next time you're there that you have no interest in him so he needs to leave you alone. If he carries on being a c*** then complain to a manager or something.
Reply 7
Original post by Charlotte49
You're paying to use the facilities and you shouldn't have to deal with that sort of behaviour from an employee. The management need to know about this so that they can put a stop to it. It's inappropriate, and you need to speak up about it. I'm sure the management of the gym will be very bothered about it, but if not, take your custom elsewhere and get a refund of your membership.

Yes. Get complaining. You should not be bothered by personal trainers in the gym. They should advertise their services in the gym instead so they aren't forever harassing people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by datpiff
Yes. Get complaining. You should not be bothered by personal trainers in the gym. They should advertise their services in the gym instead so they aren't forever harassing people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, Pt will target women as there the main type of client however this guy sound's like he's harrassing you. Just complain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending