The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyT92
The Politics Department is one of the best in the country, so I'd day definitely apply! I would say that the best way to get a feel for a place though is to look around it? There's an open day in September as well just before Term starts, and it's usually quite sunny then!
Just try & persuade your parents, at the end of the day it's your decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I get the predicted grades, then there is a possibility that they'll be persuaded (since it's only an hour away from where I live). But these are the parents who think that a degree from one place is exactly the same as one from another, which is simply not true.
I tell them this multiple times, yet they still feel that it doesn't matter where I go, because to them all universities are the same. I don't mind Manchester to be honest, but if there's a university with a better course and I do get better grades, then I am going to try and get the best offer possible. Not stick to one university to simply keep parents with next to no knowledge on how universities work happy.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
Haha no I didn't mean ring on a Sunday! Did you have any luck?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really lol. However my friend and myself will go on the 9th, self visit if we can lol.
Original post by Fool In The Rain
If I get the predicted grades, then there is a possibility that they'll be persuaded (since it's only an hour away from where I live). But these are the parents who think that a degree from one place is exactly the same as one from another, which is simply not true.
I tell them this multiple times, yet they still feel that it doesn't matter where I go, because to them all universities are the same. I don't mind Manchester to be honest, but if there's a university with a better course and I do get better grades, then I am going to try and get the best offer possible. Not stick to one university to simply keep parents with next to no knowledge on how universities work happy.

Maybe you should get some support from teachers etc to show your parents. Try to persuade them that they should let you sort it out as they have no idea what their on about.

Do they want you to go to Manchester because it's closest? At least you live near a good uni!
Original post by Tpx
Maybe you should get some support from teachers etc to show your parents. Try to persuade them that they should let you sort it out as they have no idea what their on about.

Do they want you to go to Manchester because it's closest? At least you live near a good uni!

Yes, that's why. They don't want me to live away from home. :frown: But the thought of having to do university work in the house I live in sounds horrifying. Plus, I would be missing out on a lot of the student life and the thought of 30 minute metro journeys almost every day, plus a possible 20 minute walk doesn't sound too appealing, when, if I lived in the halls or went to another university, at least it will (hopefully) be closer.
Reply 44
Original post by Fool In The Rain
Yes, that's why. They don't want me to live away from home. :frown: But the thought of having to do university work in the house I live in sounds horrifying. Plus, I would be missing out on a lot of the student life and the thought of 30 minute metro journeys almost every day, plus a possible 20 minute walk doesn't sound too appealing, when, if I lived in the halls or went to another university, at least it will (hopefully) be closer.

I feel you're pain, my parents want me to stay in London. They're not forcing me or anything, but they prefer me to.

They're going to be annoyed when they realise that I won't be applying to any unis in London :biggrin: cheeky.
The Politics Department is one of the best in the country, so I'd day definitely apply! I would say that the best way to get a feel for a place though is to look around it? There's an open day in September as well just before Term starts, and it's usually quite sunny then!
Just try & persuade your parents, at the end of the day it's your decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha sheffield is sunny! You must be joking! :wink: (although today has been pretty warm!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Reply 47
Oooh, I didn't know this existed - hi all! Will be applying for geography (haven't decided on BA or BSc yet, eek :s)
Went to the open day on Saturday and really liked the town and campus. Only slight downside was that the accommodation down at Ranmoor and Endcliffe was a bit of a trek, but I'm sure if I went to Sheffield I'd get used to it (I guess I'd have to...!)
Reply 48
Original post by Paramore<3
Endcliffe was a bit of a trek, but I'm sure if I went to Sheffield I'd get used to it (I guess I'd have to...!)

Yeh I've heard that too, but you could always get a bike, or a skateboard or whatever you know.
You can probably get a bus for 70p :smile:
Original post by lauraaaaa
You can probably get a bus for 70p :smile:

80p for uni students :frown: (they were both 50p last year weren't they?)

But yeah, you can get the bus and it'll take 5-10 minutes.
Reply 51
Original post by Tpx

It used to be 70p in London, now it's like £2.10, thank God I'm still a student lol.
Original post by Tpx

Oh yeah I forgot its 80p unless you're at school/sixth form! I know it was 50p for me two years ago and 60p last year :smile:
Reply 53
ah:frown: i cant go to any open days. How was it? was the campus and city nice? is the accommodation nice?
Reply 54
Im applying for economics but I think I might only get ABB, would i still have a chance of getting an offer if I had a good PS

I'll add myself to it now, we are so keen :biggrin:
Reply 56
I was hoping to attend the open day in July to check about the Korean Studies and the accommodation etc... See around the area whether it's the place that I would like to be to studying for the 3 years :smile:
Looking forward to seeing what the university is like, this is probably the only university I got in my mind which I want to go to... lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi :smile:
I was just wondering if anyone is planning to go to the open day on the 10th of July...
as it's a Wednesday i feel like not as many people will be there haha :biggrin:
BTW guys there is a brilliant Sheffield Tour on YouTube taking you through everything...check it out

it can be personalised to show what you want and skip what you dont want tooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFM2fiOrqqQ
Reply 59
I actually probably won't go :/ as the price to take the public transport is expensive and just to go for a few talks...? I'm not too sure lol.

I'm like 4 hours away from Sheff
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending