The Student Room Group

Living alone at uni?

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread this is the first time posting on here :smile: I am currently in my second year of university and was planning on moving in with my boyfriend of 2 years for my final. I thought about it long and hard but things were going great between us so gave up my current room in my lovely house of friends and we starting house hunting.
I know everyone warns against it but I just didn't see him breaking up with me :frown: and I always thought (perhaps naively) that if he did I would be fine and find somewhere else to move into! It was out of nowhere over a row, and he has said how much he is sorry since, but I'm now a bit stuck about what to do.
I've been looking at houses with spare rooms but I just feel so low. I feel like I've lost all my confidence and the last thing I feel like doing is getting to know a whole new group of people.. it sounds bad but I have lots of uni friends already (that unfortunately have all sorted out houses) I just don't have the energy to start over with new people.
I'm getting so anxious about it I've even considered transferring to a uni closer to home so I can live with my family.
I used to love Uni so much but I can't think of anything worse right now then trying to make an effort to live with strangers.. is living alone right now the worse thing to do? I'm quite happy in my own company with my own space, but does it get lonely?

Any advice would be really appreciated :smile:
Original post by Rom201
Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread this is the first time posting on here :smile: I am currently in my second year of university and was planning on moving in with my boyfriend of 2 years for my final. I thought about it long and hard but things were going great between us so gave up my current room in my lovely house of friends and we starting house hunting.
I know everyone warns against it but I just didn't see him breaking up with me :frown: and I always thought (perhaps naively) that if he did I would be fine and find somewhere else to move into! It was out of nowhere over a row, and he has said how much he is sorry since, but I'm now a bit stuck about what to do.
I've been looking at houses with spare rooms but I just feel so low. I feel like I've lost all my confidence and the last thing I feel like doing is getting to know a whole new group of people.. it sounds bad but I have lots of uni friends already (that unfortunately have all sorted out houses) I just don't have the energy to start over with new people.
I'm getting so anxious about it I've even considered transferring to a uni closer to home so I can live with my family.
I used to love Uni so much but I can't think of anything worse right now then trying to make an effort to live with strangers.. is living alone right now the worse thing to do? I'm quite happy in my own company with my own space, but does it get lonely?

Any advice would be really appreciated :smile:

I'm living alone right now, after my boyfriend and I broke up too.

I now go round to my friends houses at the weekends a lot more than what I did previously.
It's nice having the place to myself, being able to have it the way I like it, eat what I want when I want, having quiet to study etc.

It's not so bad.
Reply 2
Thanks so much for you reply :smile: its really nice to hear that someone has been in the same situation and decided to live alone. The idea is definitely growing on me..
Reply 3
My sister lives by herself in a flat 4hrs drive from home, she says it gets lonely but when it gets too much she just calls home and we talk or she invites someone over, but she's always too occupied with uni and other things to worry, plus for her she feels it's better to live by herself than with someone she doesn't get along with -she did that for the first half of second year and it didn't end well-
Living alone in you final year might be better because you can work without distractions and stuff, and as someone else has said if you get lonely you could always go round to someones house or have friends round to yours.
Reply 5
you say you have lots of friends at uni, they just happen to have things sorted, so if I was in that position and it was financial viable for me I would live alone. I would rather live alone than with people I don't know and might not like you would just have to make sure you make effort to see your friends enough to not feel so lonely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending