The Student Room Group

Are 17 year olds allowed in pubs?

Hello! I'm planning to go to a pub and was wondering if 17 year olds are allowed inside! I'm going to be 18, but some of my friends won't be. We're going there for a meal and maybe drinks and obviously your not allowed to drink under 18! The pub allows children in there because they do meals and stuff, but will they tell us to leave if there are people that are 17?
Reply 1
After 9 they may, depends how strict they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sort of depends on the pub and how strict they are. Not sure what the legal standpoint is but it's fairly irrelevant. I'm 17 and I manage to go out to pubs regularly without issue. It's just about knowing the right places. Don't admit to being underage because they'll either kick you out or watch you like a hawk all night to make sure that you're behaving. I'd imagine that you'll be fine if you're eating whilst you're in there.
Reply 3
i think by law its allowed but it's up to the pub owner i think. They might let you in the restaurant area, usually theres a bit cornered off for people eating dinner so they can have their kids there.

why not just go to a restaurant? probably easier.
I used to go to the pub with my friends all the time when I was 17, but I guess it depends on the pub. If they do kids meals and have a restaurant bit I think they'll let you in there.
Reply 5
I know that at some Wetherspoons (maybe just the lloyd no1 bars in larger cities) dont allow under 18's in after 10pm. You also have to be 18 to order at the bar even if its a soft drink.
I used to work for Wetherspoons
I think the law states you're allowed one pint aslong as you have a meal with it, at 16/17
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends on the pub. I would suggest ringing up and asking what their policy is.
Unless you're looking really dodgy they're not going to know. I've been getting into pubs since I was 14, but I look older. If you're being decent and not blatantly acting underage or causing a scene, they won't care too much. The only time I've ever been asked to leave a pub is when I was with some idiots who thought it would be a brill idea to drink their own beer in full sight. :facepalm:
Oh and don't act like you're underage. Go in with the mentality that you're adults and can buy a drink if you damn well want to. It's people's lack of confidence that screams "I'm not 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending