The Student Room Group

Is living at home for Uni a bad idea?

I'm going to Glasgow University in September, I only live roughly half an hour away from the Uni so I didn't really see much point in moving. Plus, I'm still recovering from an operation I under went last year so I think living at home would be more sensible. But will living at home affect my social life at Uni and my ability to make friends, as well as my overrall experience in a negative way? I'm making sure to join clubs and societies when I get to Uni but is this enough?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My friend is in a similar situation to you. Provided you have good transport this shouldn't be a problem in terms of your education. You may feel like you are missing out slightly on the social side of things if you are not in halls but if you are still recovering from an operation then this may be a more sensible idea anyway.

Are you planning on staying at home the entire time or just for your first year?
Reply 2
Original post by tomj45
My friend is in a similar situation to you. Provided you have good transport this shouldn't be a problem in terms of your education. You may feel like you are missing out slightly on the social side of things if you are not in halls but if you are still recovering from an operation then this may be a more sensible idea anyway.

Are you planning on staying at home the entire time or just for your first year?

Ideally just first year and if I get the money together I'll get a flat share with someone. The transport links are great to the uni, and my recovery is important so I suppose staying at home won't be too bad.
Reply 3
Original post by Shannon~
Ideally just first year and if I get the money together I'll get a flat share with someone. The transport links are great to the uni, and my recovery is important so I suppose staying at home won't be too bad.

Sounds like you have made the right choice to me!
I'm going to Glasgow University in September, I only live roughly half an hour away from the Uni so I didn't really see much point in moving. Plus, I'm still recovering from an operation I under went last year so I think living at home would be more sensible. But will living at home affect my social life at Uni and my ability to make friends, as well as my overrall experience in a negative way? I'm making sure to join clubs and societies when I get to Uni but is this enough?

Thanks

Depends, if you use university accommodation you will obviously make a few more friends and people will see you around a lot more, therefore broadening your social life at uni.

However you'll still make friends when you are at uni, and it won't affect your education if you only live 30 minutes away.

You won't be missing out on much really.

I'd say it's best if you stay, especially considering the fact that there are good transport links and you only living 30 mins away. You'll end up saving a huge amount of money and it's not really needed unless you don't want to live with your parents/family anymore and wouldn't mind paying costly bills, food, rent etc :smile: . Seeing as you don't live too far, I don't think you'd even be missing any social life either.
Reply 6
You will meet lots more people staying at uni, there is less of a social aspect staying away.

It depends on the transport but going out in the city, you might not be able to get home from a night out easily, but it won't stop you getting involved in societies and clubs.

If it was just that you were apprehensive about living away, I would suggest that you just relax and do it, as everyone else is feeling the same. However if you need to recover from this operation it might be for the best staying at home. Don't use it as an excuse however, these are some of the best years of your life.
To be hones with you I would move I understand that you had an operation but after a year you should be on the mend. Travelling to uni can be stressful especially if you get cancelled or delayed trains so miss lectures sometimes. It's also nice to be able to go back to your flat if you have large gaps in between lectures. lectures run from 9am until about 8pm I had one at 7-8 after a 12 hour day which is hard that is with only a break at 1 for lunch so my day was 9am-8pm.

Ask your self would you rather have a short 10 15 minute walk to halls or would you farther walk to the station wait 10-15 minuets for a train then have to walk home from the station bu what would be approaching 9 O'clock also what if your working on a group project (uni's like this for some reason) people work on these often late in to the night wit their group not every night because people have clubs and things but some nights so you can expect on these often to work up until at least 11pm when the IT room closes and then would you really want to get a train then no you wouldn't.

It would also affect your social life people who live at home I know I've met some find the first few months very lonely also it would be an effort to get out for club nights and where would you sleep after woulds I know your recovery is important but it's been a year t's time to start living again.

I know it's not what you want to hear and I know I'll probably get negged a lot for this but it's the way it is.

One option of course is to defer for a year until you know you are over your operation and do some work to get some money then go to uni it's up to you of course but I would not recommend commuting it was hard enough to get home various weekends let alone every day (had some trouble finding a place in third year for a couple of weeks)
Reply 8
Original post by jonathanemptage
To be hones with you I would move I understand that you had an operation but after a year you should be on the mend. Travelling to uni can be stressful especially if you get cancelled or delayed trains so miss lectures sometimes. It's also nice to be able to go back to your flat if you have large gaps in between lectures. lectures run from 9am until about 8pm I had one at 7-8 after a 12 hour day which is hard that is with only a break at 1 for lunch so my day was 9am-8pm.

Ask your self would you rather have a short 10 15 minute walk to halls or would you farther walk to the station wait 10-15 minuets for a train then have to walk home from the station bu what would be approaching 9 O'clock also what if your working on a group project (uni's like this for some reason) people work on these often late in to the night wit their group not every night because people have clubs and things but some nights so you can expect on these often to work up until at least 11pm when the IT room closes and then would you really want to get a train then no you wouldn't.

It would also affect your social life people who live at home I know I've met some find the first few months very lonely also it would be an effort to get out for club nights and where would you sleep after woulds I know your recovery is important but it's been a year t's time to start living again.

I know it's not what you want to hear and I know I'll probably get negged a lot for this but it's the way it is.

One option of course is to defer for a year until you know you are over your operation and do some work to get some money then go to uni it's up to you of course but I would not recommend commuting it was hard enough to get home various weekends let alone every day (had some trouble finding a place in third year for a couple of weeks)

I've still got quite a way to go yet with recovering from my operation as I had to re learn how to walk, so I've still got quite a bit to go. In terms of transport and stuff because of my disability I'm able to get taxis to and from University that are paid for me so fairs and catching trains/buses wouldn't be an issue. I understand that living in halls would be easier in terms of social life but I know I'll still be able to get out there and make friends during first year despite commuting. I really think I'm going to get a flat share in second year though, I really don't want to defer my entry.

Thanks for the advice though, and I highly doubt anyone will neg you! There's nothing wrong with what you said at all :smile:
I'm gonna be staying at home too! I've felt the same as you, thinking I may be missing out on the social side but after talking to some family they said its a good decision as it's easier as in you have somewhere quiet to work, food/washing made/done for you etc and you can still go out whenever you want :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I'm gonna be staying at home too! I've felt the same as you, thinking I may be missing out on the social side but after talking to some family they said its a good decision as it's easier as in you have somewhere quiet to work, food/washing made/done for you etc and you can still go out whenever you want :smile:

Your family sound exactly the same as mine! I think they're right, starting Uni in itself would be hard never mind living on your own for the first time if you're not really ready for it. I'll definitely stay at home for first year and see if I can get a flat in second year :smile:
Your family sound exactly the same as mine! I think they're right, starting Uni in itself would be hard never mind living on your own for the first time if you're not really ready for it. I'll definitely stay at home for first year and see if I can get a flat in second year :smile:

yeah it's defo gonna be scary, you're basically thrown into a new situation and you don't know anyone :eek:
I'm kinda happy that I wouldn't have to be worrying about paying rent for halls or paying for the food shopping haha
Reply 12
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
yeah it's defo gonna be scary, you're basically thrown into a new situation and you don't know anyone :eek:
I'm kinda happy that I wouldn't have to be worrying about paying rent for halls or paying for the food shopping haha

Aww I know! When you put it like that living at home is really appealing, at least until you find your feet!
No I don't see why it would be. I moved far away from home to go to uni, but most of my friends that went to uni, went to one local and stayed home meaning they didn't have to worry about bills as much and had more disposable income. On the other hand they haven't yet got to experience what it's like not only living away from home but living in another part of the UK.

Still either way is perfectly fine.
Aww I know! When you put it like that living at home is really appealing, at least until you find your feet!

yeah & you can save up :biggrin:

Thanks

1) You won't have friends from halls
2) You'll have friends on your course/societies/friends of friends etc
3) It will not effect it negatively, if you don't want it to. See it how you want to see it, and you'll enjoy yourself regardless.
4) You may feel isolated though.
oh I just thought of another option if you suddenly between now and when you start you feel hmmmm I'm missing out. put your self down on a waiting list for halls people drop out all the time s if you do change your mind you shouldn't have too many problems.

Seeing as you had to learn to walk again i see why it may be better for you to live at home for the first year though amy one else asking i would say move out check out my previous posts and other posts for why.
Reply 17
I don't think it's a bad idea, If you're close enough to uni then why not? I'm moving out because I can't be bothered with Public Transport any more.
I think staying at home would be a good idea; especially if you're still recovering from an operation. I mean, I'm sure you'd still be able to make friends and if you go on any nights out etc I don't think they'd object to your staying at theirs. I reckon you might lose out on the social side a little and it might be a little harder for you to make friends because other people get immediate "friends" in their flatmates, while you'll have to get to know people from your course etc.
Saying that, I'm sure you'd be able to and you'll save a lot of money and you'd get to live on your own second year if you wanted when you're recovered :smile: Depends how eager you are to experience independent living and make friends in halls.
I'm living 1.5 hours away from uni, as my parents absolutely forbid me from getting a student loan and won't pay for me to move out, even though money isn't an issue. Plus, I don't have financial independence so I have a feeling that this is going to suck badly :frown:

I wouldn't worry about a 30 minute journey though, it doesn't sound too bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending