The Student Room Group

Mid-Range Universities.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at universities, planning which open days to go on etc. I'm having trouble finding universities that have entry grades that aren't below AAB/ABB or above CCC if you know what I mean? Those unis are obviously hard to get into and I was wondering if people could point me to some decent universities that don't require such high grades!
Original post by mddub39
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at universities, planning which open days to go on etc. I'm having trouble finding universities that have entry grades that aren't below AAB/ABB or above CCC if you know what I mean? Those unis are obviously hard to get into and I was wondering if people could point me to some decent universities that don't require such high grades!

You need to tell us what course you are looking at.
Reply 2
It depends a lot on the course. But an excellent resource that you should try to track down is Brian Heap's book University Degree Course offers 2014. It sets out, in order of difficulty, the likely offer for every course from every UCAS university.

It's pricey to buy, but my local library has a reference copy.

That should help you to identify universities that have entry grades in the BBB-BCC range that you're looking for.
Original post by Crumpet1
It depends a lot on the course. But an excellent resource that you should try to track down is Brian Heap's book University Degree Course offers 2014. It sets out, in order of difficulty, the likely offer for every course from every UCAS university.

It's pricey to buy, but my local library has a reference copy.

That should help you to identify universities that have entry grades in the BBB-BCC range that you're looking for.

The Heap book is indeed excellent. No need to buy it. Most schools with a sixth form will have a copy. Make sure it's the most recent edition. It's also now online, but requires a school password to use it.
I'm visiting some open days this month in mid range universities aswell - I put together this sheet that I'll be bringing with me and I was thinking of sharing it to people, but can someone give me some feedback on it first?
The link is near the bottom of the post

http://allthingsanita.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/university-open-days-free-download.html
Reply 5
International Relations is what I'd like to study.
Reply 6
Original post by mddub39

higher entry requirements don't necessarily mean that its difficult to get an offer for IR (I know from experience) although of course you still need to get the grades. And yes there are fewer and fewer universities asking for B's now. More and more want at least one A, especially Russell Group and 1994 Group unis.

Some suggestions though:
Oxford Brookes: BBC
Nottingham Trent: 260 points from 3 A-Levels (BCC)
Loughborough- ABB-BBB
Reply 7
Original post by jelly1000
higher entry requirements don't necessarily mean that its difficult to get an offer for IR (I know from experience) although of course you still need to get the grades. And yes there are fewer and fewer universities asking for B's now. More and more want at least one A, especially Russell Group and 1994 Group unis.

Some suggestions though:
Oxford Brookes: BBC
Nottingham Trent: 260 points from 3 A-Levels (BCC)
Loughborough- ABB-BBB

Thank you! I had a meeting with the head of sixth form and was told AAB/ABB was realistic for me but I'm look at Plymouth, Brighton and Portsmouth for 'back up' options as A-Levels are pretty tough.
Reply 8
Original post by mddub39

I applied for Politics this year with ACC (so I was looking at universities asking for BBC really). I applied to:

1. Swansea (asking for BBC) - firmed after negotiating!
2. Nottingham Trent (260 UCAS points)
3. Westminster (BBC if I recall correctly)
4. Plymouth (240/260+ UCAS points if I recall correctly)
5. Salford (but I think the 2013 intake will be their last)

You shouldn't necessarily judge by league tables but Swansea have risen quite a lot in the rankings, both overall and for politics (which will probably cover IR too). They're ranked in the top 50 now, both overall and for politics.

I've heard that Nottingham Trent is a good university too. I've heard Plymouth's politics department is pretty decent, as is Portmouth's although I am not sure what they will be asking for (think it might have been BBB). I've also heard good things about Oxford Brookes. A guy from my Politics class at college studies Politics & IR there.

Feel free to message me if you need any more advice!
Original post by mddub39

You should really look at Aberystwyth. It has a phenomenal reputation in the field. However, it only requires 300 points with a B in an A level subject. The course is called international politics (joint honours are also available). It is the oldest school in the world and the Woodrow Wilson Professorship is the grandaddy of all chairs in the field.
Original post by mddub39
Thank you! I had a meeting with the head of sixth form and was told AAB/ABB was realistic for me but I'm look at Plymouth, Brighton and Portsmouth for 'back up' options as A-Levels are pretty tough.

Ah thats good, means you can widen your options. Have a look at more 1994/RG unis (if you dont know which they are have a look on their websites). Pretty much all of them apart from Nottingham, Durham, Bristol and Edinburgh (and Oxbridge obviously) should be within reach then. And yes always good to have a back up. Dont think Brighton does IR, at least it didn't when I looked on the website two years ago. Any reason why just unis on the South Coast? Uni is a great time to move somewhere new.
Reply 11
Original post by JA1994
I applied for Politics this year with ACC (so I was looking at universities asking for BBC really). I applied to:

1. Swansea (asking for BBC) - firmed after negotiating!
2. Nottingham Trent (260 UCAS points)
3. Westminster (BBC if I recall correctly)
4. Plymouth (240/260+ UCAS points if I recall correctly)
5. Salford (but I think the 2013 intake will be their last)

You shouldn't necessarily judge by league tables but Swansea have risen quite a lot in the rankings, both overall and for politics (which will probably cover IR too). They're ranked in the top 50 now, both overall and for politics.

I've heard that Nottingham Trent is a good university too. I've heard Plymouth's politics department is pretty decent, as is Portmouth's although I am not sure what they will be asking for (think it might have been BBB). I've also heard good things about Oxford Brookes. A guy from my Politics class at college studies Politics & IR there.

Feel free to message me if you need any more advice!

Thank you, really appreciate the help. I am considering Nottingham Trent too, I was told the same things you have said. May I ask what open days you went to? Swansea is a fair distance from Bournemouth so I'd have to be extremely interested to visit it!

Original post by nulli tertius
You should really look at Aberystwyth. It has a phenomenal reputation in the field. However, it only requires 300 points with a B in an A level subject. The course is called international politics (joint honours are also available). It is the oldest school in the world and the Woodrow Wilson Professorship is the grandaddy of all chairs in the field.

Original post by jelly1000
Ah thats good, means you can widen your options. Have a look at more 1994/RG unis (if you dont know which they are have a look on their websites). Pretty much all of them apart from Nottingham, Durham, Bristol and Edinburgh (and Oxbridge obviously) should be within reach then. And yes always good to have a back up. Dont think Brighton does IR, at least it didn't when I looked on the website two years ago. Any reason why just unis on the South Coast? Uni is a great time to move somewhere new.

I guess I'll answer both of yours together. Firstly I really appreciate the help, it's great to hear what other people who know more have to say. I am from and live in Bournemouth, but lived in Toronto from 2008-2012. I don't really want to live more than 3-4 hours away (at most) because I want to stay close to home, and unless a university far away has the perfect course for me, I'd rather be closer.

Obviously, if some of the unis I have mentioned don't appeal I will definitely expand the geographical distance of my search! Non football fans won't understand but I have to be able to get back for some AFC Bournemouth home matches, I just can't miss too many :biggrin:

Brighton does Globalisation and a War, Conflict and Modernity course which is somewhat similar but really appeals to me. I'm not 100% set on only doing IR, but it's definitely the type of course I want to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mddub39
Thank you, really appreciate the help. I am considering Nottingham Trent too, I was told the same things you have said. May I ask what open days you went to? Swansea is a fair distance from Bournemouth so I'd have to be extremely interested to visit it!

I guess I'll answer both of yours together. Firstly I really appreciate the help, it's great to hear what other people who know more have to say. I am from and live in Bournemouth, but lived in Toronto from 2008-2012. I don't really want to live more than 3-4 hours away (at most) because I want to stay close to home, and unless a university far away has the perfect course for me, I'd rather be closer.

Obviously, if some of the unis I have mentioned don't appeal I will definitely expand the geographical distance of my search! Non football fans won't understand but I have to be able to get back for some AFC Bournemouth home matches, I just can't miss too many :biggrin:

Brighton does Globalisation and a War, Conflict and Modernity course which is somewhat similar but really appeals to me. I'm not 100% set on only doing IR, but it's definitely the type of course I want to do.

I had to look Swansea up on a map in case I'd drastically got my geography wrong but it's not far from Bournemouth at all!!

Also, as a non football fan I probably don't undersatnd at all but uni holidays are pretty long and you can be home for all of them so you'd have a chance to go to matches then surely?
Reply 13
Swansea isn't too far from Bournemouth. It's probably closer to Bournemouth than where I live.

Swansea is a campus university just outside the city located in parkland right on the cost by a beach. Search it on Google images, its in a beautiful location.
Reply 14
Original post by JA1994
Swansea isn't too far from Bournemouth. It's probably closer to Bournemouth than where I live.

Swansea is a campus university just outside the city located in parkland right on the cost by a beach. Search it on Google images, its in a beautiful location.

What's Swansea like as a city?
Reply 15
Original post by mddub39
What's Swansea like as a city?

Its nice. It has a marina, it has a lot of culture/attractions (museums/parks/gardens/cinema/places to eat out/nightlife etc).

I think one year the surrounding coastal area was voted 'Britain's Best View' and has been described as 'the British supermodel of beaches'.

But obviously its not massive, especially compared to London or Manchester. But it is Wales' second-city. It's similar in size as Portsmouth, Plymouth, Southampton, and Derby so it's not small either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending