The Student Room Group

Panini press for university?

Hi
I hope to be going to university in September, and if I go- I'll be sharing a kitchen in halls. My mum has recently became fixated on buying me things for my kitchen, and she has been trying to buy me a panini press every single time we go to tesco for like the last 3 weeks- I keep telling her no, which she doesn't seem to want to take as the answer.

I'm thinking should I just let her do it for a bit of peace? or is it completely not worth it?
Tell her you'll have nowhere to store it, which is probably true!

Could you divert her attention onto bedding or something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
Tell her you'll have nowhere to store it, which is probably true!

Could you divert her attention onto bedding or something like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha I wish I could, she's already brought me really feminine bedding (even though I'm a boy haha).
Reply 3
As long as you don't bring anyone back from a night out you'll be fine :wink:

Just show her a list of what's recommended for university (there's one on here) and have her buy what's left of what you need off there?
I know you don't want to hear this, but when I was at uni one of my flatmates brought a toastie maker, and I swear it was the best thing EVER! When you're a lazy student not wanting to cook, being able to have a sandwich in TOASTED form was Heaven..
Do you like Paninis? If so let her buy it, you'll make use of it as it's probably faster than going out and certainly cheaper.
If not distract her each time you're there.
Reply 6
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I know you don't want to hear this, but when I was at uni one of my flatmates brought a toastie maker, and I swear it was the best thing EVER! When you're a lazy student not wanting to cook, being able to have a sandwich in TOASTED form was Heaven..

Haha this is what I mean- everyone else will be using it and never me.
the only two pannis I eat are smoked salmon and cream cheese or parma ham and cheese.
and some how I get the feeling I won't be buying all too much smoked salmon or parma ham as a student :frown:
I had one at uni and had phases of either using it all the time, or pretty much never using it at all. Usually dependent on whether I remembered that I still had it sitting in a cupboard and therefore decided to buy panini bread.

It was brilliant though. Have you tried experimenting with different fillings a bit? There's bound to be more than just those two you like.
WASTE of time. You'll have nowhere to store it and you'll never use it anyway.

If she insists - get her to give you a Tescos giftcard 'to buy it with when I get there' and then spend it on groceries.
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
WASTE of time. You'll have nowhere to store it and you'll never use it anyway.

If she insists - get her to give you a Tescos giftcard 'to buy it with when I get there' and then spend it on groceries.

I might ask her to get me an espresso machine instead- at least I'll actually use that haha
You probably won't have space for a panini maker, but toasted sandwiches are a godsend! You can get these reusable plastic pouch thingies which you make a sandwich, and then put it in the pouch and put the pouch in the toaster for a toasted sandwich - you could maybe ask her to get you those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Chocolate Mousse
You probably won't have space for a panini maker, but toasted sandwiches are a godsend! You can get these reusable plastic pouch thingies which you make a sandwich, and then put it in the pouch and put the pouch in the toaster for a toasted sandwich - you could maybe ask her to get you those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the idea- I didn't actually know that existed haha
I dunno, I don't see the point when pret a manger isn't so far away :smile:
I think food tastes so much better when someone else makes it haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Ok, I don't know what a panini press is, but I'm assuming it's similar to a toastie maker. One of my flatmates got one and it literally GAVE NEW MEANING TO OUR LIVES. They're perfect for when you're feeling lazy, or after a night out! Instead of heading to a kebab shop after the pub/club we used to go home and make cheese toasties! Lol.
Reply 13
Original post by rageagainstessays

You don't think you'll be able to afford some smoked salmon or parma ham from the supermarket but Pret is totally within your budget...?!

Edit: PS Sainsbury's at least has a Basics pack of smoked salmon 'bits' that presumably fell or got cut off the bigger sheets of salmon in the manufacturing process. They would work just fine in a panini.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Ronove
You don't think you'll be able to afford some smoked salmon or parma ham from the supermarket but Pret is totally within your budget...?!

Edit: PS Sainsbury's at least has a Basics pack of smoked salmon 'bits' that presumably fell or got cut off the bigger sheets of salmon in the manufacturing process. They would work just fine in a panini.

Yeah because I like Pret haha
Plus at least that way I don't have to work out what to do with 3/4 of a pack of smoked salmon and 5 slices of parma ham after I've had my panini :smile:
Yeah because I like Pret haha
Plus at least that way I don't have to work out what to do with 3/4 of a pack of smoked salmon and 5 slices of parma ham after I've had my panini :smile:

Make more paninis.
Hi
I hope to be going to university in September, and if I go- I'll be sharing a kitchen in halls. My mum has recently became fixated on buying me things for my kitchen, and she has been trying to buy me a panini press every single time we go to tesco for like the last 3 weeks- I keep telling her no, which she doesn't seem to want to take as the answer.

I'm thinking should I just let her do it for a bit of peace? or is it completely not worth it?
Get a sandwich maker (i.e. with flat plates), not a panini press, more versatile piece of kit. Also keep it in your room, it will be destroyed if you put it in a communal kitchen.
(edited 10 years ago)

True, but Pret is pretty expensive!
Original post by Chocolate Mousse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Argh those are a PAIN to wash up :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending