The Student Room Group

Should the monarchy become elective?

I think unless the monarchy changes at some point it faces extinction. The ultimate flaw of our constitutional monarchy is the fact that it is still based on hereditary principles, which is fundamentally wrong. I am not necessarily against having a monarchy, but why not elect the person who is the monarch? Rather than having a royal family based on blood, the position should in principle be open to any citizen of the United Kingdom. Of course the ‘king’ or ‘queen’ would have to be a respected person of society, possibly an elder statesman or someone of high academic or personal achievement, maybe in fields like science, arts or law, or someone who has been highly successful in economics or business. Once elected the ‘monarch’ would do exactly as the queen does; act as kind of representative of Britain at home and abroad, but they would have earned the right to do that, not gotten there based on class, blood, but by being chosen by the people of Britain to be that representative.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't decide which is worse...

Reply 2
King David Beckham would be awesome.

The monarchy should **** off though.
Reply 3
Our monarchy is just a way of keeping tradition alive and attracting tourists in.
It doesn't really have any real affect on our politics -- and if it did interfere then it would be going against the whole point of having parliament.

For the sake of the profit their image brings in, why not keep them?
Reply 4
No, they are our last defence against a potentially tyrannical organisation.
Reply 5
Seeing as most countries deliberately do not elect their Head of State for the express purpose of preventing them for being tempted to become involved in day-to-day politics, I think the monarchy is just fine as it is and won't go anywhere yet.

There's nothing inherently wrong with hereditary succession, no more than any other mode of appointment, it just needs to be placed in a position where it works best. The Head of State is the optimal place.
No it shouldn't.
Reply 7
There is this general aurora of republicanism on this forum. In the real world, almost no-one supports the disestablishment of our Monarchy. It is not "facing extinction" as you say ordinary people do not care about it, so nothing will happen. There are more pressing issues at hand. Besides, the Queen has done a great job.
I think an elected monarchy would be a terrible idea. However, I think that the succession should be chosen by the monarch from the royal line rather then the next in-line, so that we don't constantly have OAPs for monarchs as the health care available means that by the time the monarch is dead, the next in-line could already be a pensioner.
Original post by engrishdegree
I think unless the monarchy changes at some point it faces extinction. The ultimate flaw of our constitutional monarchy is the fact that it is still based on hereditary principles, which is fundamentally wrong. I am not necessarily against having a monarchy, but why not elect the person who is the monarch? Rather than having a royal family based on blood, the position should in principle be open to any citizen of the United Kingdom. Of course the ‘king’ or ‘queen’ would have to be a respected person of society, possibly an elder statesman or someone of high academic or personal achievement, maybe in fields like science, arts or law, or someone who has been highly successful in economics or business. Once elected the ‘monarch’ would do exactly as the queen does; act as kind of representative of Britain at home and abroad, but they would have earned the right to do that, not gotten there based on class, blood, but by being chosen by the people of Britain to be that representative.

Someone like Tulisa Constavolos would probably end up getting it...
Reply 10
No, that wouldn't make sense.
To be fair, the monarchy will change eventually, kings and queens die you know.
No, because then it wouldn't be a proper monarchy anymore :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Then you're clinging on to a term that doesn't really match it.
Countries like France and Germany have both had monarchies in the past but have gotten rid. It would make little difference as the monarch does very little and despite being a historical tradition, France and Germany haven't suffered from having Presidents/Chancellors. There's more important things to deal with and it's hard to draw a line on when the monarchy would end as there's no urgent need for change.
Reply 15
Either have a hereditary constitutional monarchy or a full parliamentary republic. An "elective monarchy" would be so awkward and even more tiresome.
If you're gonna change it, get rid of it all together, have an elected president with much the same responsibility but no real power.
Reply 17
Original post by RtGOAT
King David Beckham would be awesome.

The monarchy should **** off though.

or you could?
Dont be a ... to a family you know nothing of.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Elected Monarchy - No. An Elected Head of State in general is just no.

"Head of State" is such an old fashioned idea and should just be combined with Head of Government imo. Make the PM both of them.

In an ideal world the Monarchy would be abolished but their isn't enough support for that from the public. It makes me sick seeing people going to food banks because they are struggling and then the Monarchy being chauffeur driven from palace to palace.

For sure the political powers of the Monarch (Royal Assent) etc should be scrapped. The idea that the courts and parliament get a mandate from the crown should be scrapped. The Crown should at least be taken out of political life altogether if the public insist on keeping this terrible, old fashioned system of governance.
Reply 19
How about we take the church out of our political system first?

...Just an idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending