The Student Room Group

Birkbeck Legal Studies Cert HE?

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has completed the Cert HE in Legal Studies at Birkbeck and how challenging the work is. I ask because my Access was very intense, some say more intense than a degree but it wasn't difficult. The pace of the Cert HE seems much better than an Access but as you need on average 80-85% or ideally more to be considered by the top Unis, how difficult is the assessment? Its a level 4, so its presumably more difficult than A levels!

Thanks
Original post by crystal1330
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has completed the Cert HE in Legal Studies at Birkbeck and how challenging the work is. I ask because my Access was very intense, some say more intense than a degree but it wasn't difficult. The pace of the Cert HE seems much better than an Access but as you need on average 80-85% or ideally more to be considered by the top Unis, how difficult is the assessment? Its a level 4, so its presumably more difficult than A levels!

Thanks

Someone I know studied that, and went on to Oxford University.

It is about the same intensity as Access, as it is the equivalent to year 1 of a degree.

If you have completed an Access Course, why are you going on to the Cert HE anyway? You can get in to the top Universities with Access to HE...

I'm going to be doing the part time LLB at Birkbeck as of this September, and I completed an Access course previously.
Reply 2
Original post by Knalchemist
Someone I know studied that, and went on to Oxford University.

It is about the same intensity as Access, as it is the equivalent to year 1 of a degree.

If you have completed an Access Course, why are you going on to the Cert HE anyway? You can get in to the top Universities with Access to HE...

I'm going to be doing the part time LLB at Birkbeck as of this September, and I completed an Access course previously.

Hi,

Unfortunately ive missed the boat for studying this year, otherwise I would have applied for the part-time LLB. I am unable to get into Top London Unis with my type of Access as its not Law, so I could only apply to BPP or Birkbeck. I would have been happy to start at Birkbeck this year but I completely mucked up my UCAS application! Good luck in September :-)
Hi,

Unfortunately ive missed the boat for studying this year, otherwise I would have applied for the part-time LLB. I am unable to get into Top London Unis with my type of Access as its not Law, so I could only apply to BPP or Birkbeck. I would have been happy to start at Birkbeck this year but I completely mucked up my UCAS application! Good luck in September :-)

You should be able to get into a top university without access to law provided you took strong academic options like History / Literature/ Politics. There is no preference for prior study of Law for alevel students and the same applies for access students.

The Birkbeck course is not as intensive as access, you only average at around 2 essays/term on the legal methods whereas some access courses require essays every week or fortnight. If you've done well on your access then you should find it a breeze esp in terms of workload.
Reply 4
Original post by Cardiff Kook
You should be able to get into a top university without access to law provided you took strong academic options like History / Literature/ Politics. There is no preference for prior study of Law for alevel students and the same applies for access students.

The Birkbeck course is not as intensive as access, you only average at around 2 essays/term on the legal methods whereas some access courses require essays every week or fortnight. If you've done well on your access then you should find it a breeze esp in terms of workload.

Thanks for your response. I have put my application in for the cert to HE today :-).

I figured that since I can only apply for 2014 addmisons anyway, why not gain more experiance and strengthen my application with a Cert to HE in my "spare year". I think it would be good preperation for me before the LLB and LNAT!

My main reason for not applying this year was that for one I mucked up my UCAS but in all honesty I havent got the time for a FT degree yet and I really do not think Kingd, UCL or LSE would have looked at me. I know very few Access students that get accepted to these Unis. At least with a level 4 in Law (Legal Methods) it shows my capability to study at university level. It will also give me a chance to put more on my PS for the LLB as I plan to get involved in all that Birkbeck offer in terme of EC :-)
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi,

You don't need access to law to get in to the top universities.

You can still apply for the part time LLB at Birkbeck, as you don't apply through UCAS.

The cert he won't prepare you for the LNAT. It has nothing to do with law. It's about your reasoning skills and the ability to structure an argument. The cert he is also one year full time.

If you want to go on to a top university, you'll nee work experience as well as good Ec's and top grades.
Reply 6
Original post by Knalchemist
You don't need access to law to get in to the top universities.

You can still apply for the part time LLB at Birkbeck, as you don't apply through UCAS.

The cert he won't prepare you for the LNAT. It has nothing to do with law. It's about your reasoning skills and the ability to structure an argument. The cert he is also one year full time.

If you want to go on to a top university, you'll nee work experience as well as good Ec's and top grades.

Hi,

Thanks for your pointers.

I just do not think Top London Universities will look at Access students for Law, they certainly do not want my type of Access. I actually called Kings at the begining of this year and was told they would only consider Access to Law, that is what they said! Ok so they may take one or two students from Access but this is a huge gamble for me!

I know very few people that even make it to interview with an Access that is in Law or the humanities, not when you are young because it is still a disadvantage because they think you should have been capable to stay on and complete your A levels. I am aware what the LNAT is and have been practicing it for some time but I personally believe that level 4 study will only help towards my LNAT practice because it will force me to practice such skills such as structuring an argument and so on. Put it this way, as I cannot apply to Uni this year, I would rather put the extra year to good use with the Cert to HE.

I know some people say you cannot really prepare for the LNAT but by using skills the LNAT tests, I hope to stand a better chance of a decent score.

And yes I did realise after my comment that I could do the part-time LLB at Birkbeck but Birkbeck isn't really where I want to do my degree. It takes the same amount of time to study the part-time LLB at Birkbeck as doing the Cert to HE and then a 3 year degree elsewhere so its a no-brainer for me really. The cert to HE is only one evening per week, with my other evenings being dedicated to personal study, I will aim to give 15-20 hours per week to this.

If im honest I do think that as much as people say Law is open to anyone, as a younger person Universities will want to see that I have more than just an Access. I really want to apply to the likes of Kings, UCL and Cardiff when the time comes and the Cert to HE will give me a better chance than an Access. I have work experience and good shadowing experience to Crown Courts, the Old Bailey I am currently lining up some more work experience with a Barrister and due to shadow in a rape trial etc. This year also gives me the opportunity to rank up as much W/E and E/C as I possibly can. The past two years I haven't done as much as I have been very busy with my business although I do not think that will look too bad as during this time I did complete an Access and have been involved in my local community debating group, so I can show I have been proactive. But yes, to apply to the Top I need to be more than just a bit proactive.
Hi ! anyone starting Higher education introductory studies this year (2013) ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending