The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Bloody idiot. Suck it up and pay whatever fine you're handed and be grateful. You should have known you couldn't possibly have a child fare - you are not a child. That's fairly elementary.

Then why did the inspector offer?

If someone offers you a deal somewhere (a shop, restaurant etc), do you interrogate them to see if you're actually entitled to it?

You obviously don't, since you'd waste time asking hundreds of questions every day. If an employee offers me a deal somewhere, I assume I'm entitled to it - if I wasn't, they obviously wouldn't ask.
Original post by nic-nac
Ditto here. Mention that in the letter.

What's the point when ignorance isn't a defence? And that's not true everywhere either.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Then why did the inspector offer?

If someone offers you a deal somewhere (a shop, restaurant etc), do you interrogate them to see if you're actually entitled to it?

You obviously don't, since you'd waste time asking hundreds of questions every day. If an employee offers me a deal somewhere, I assume I'm entitled to it - if I wasn't, they obviously wouldn't ask.

I highly doubt that even happened. And if it did, he should take some of the responsibility, I grant you. But under no part of the law is an eighteen year old a child, so he should have known that he was not therefore entitled to a child ticket.
I highly doubt that even happened. And if it did, he should take some of the responsibility, I grant you. But under no part of the law is an eighteen year old a child, so he should have known that he was not therefore entitled to a child ticket.

True, but then OP mentioned some bus services allow anyone in fulltime education to get a "child's ticket" (if I remember his post correctly, can't be bothered checking). So if he can find proof of that, that could strengthen his case.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
True, but then OP mentioned some bus services allow anyone in fulltime education to get a "child's ticket" (if I remember his post correctly, can't be bothered checking). So if he can find proof of that, that could strengthen his case.

He said some tickets can be less than a child's fare, not a child ticket.

My dad is a revenue protection officer for transpennine express. This is literally his job - catching fare evaders and taking them to court. There's no way an eighteen year old student is entitled to a child ticket - if the guard said that, he's wrong too and should be reprimanded/ pay some of the fine.
Reply 25

On my local buses (with first group who operate all over the country), a 18 year old can get a child fare, this even includes 19 year olds aswell. think it was mainly because we had explore cards when we were at school, to allow us cheaper travel. I had one and the expirery date was the day before my 20th birthday. But when they got rid of these, a child was anyone over 15. A year or two later, they came up with a compromise, anyone under 20 can have a young person fare, which is the same price as an old style child ticket/what we paid if we used an explore card.

Original post by OU Student
What's the point when ignorance isn't a defence? And that's not true everywhere either.

But OP said it was true for their area. True, ignorance isn't an excuse, but it might be worth mentioning or might not help at all.
Original post by nic-nac
On my local buses (with first group who operate all over the country), a 18 year old can get a child fare, this even includes 19 year olds aswell. think it was mainly because we had explore cards when we were at school, to allow us cheaper travel. I had one and the expirery date was the day before my 20th birthday. But when they got rid of these, a child was anyone over 15. A year or two later, they came up with a compromise, anyone under 20 can have a young person fare, which is the same price as an old style child ticket/what we paid if we used an explore card.

But OP said it was true for their area. True, ignorance isn't an excuse, but it might be worth mentioning or might not help at all.

Surley it would make sense to check beforehand. Its like OAPs trying to use a bus pass on the train.

Although train and bus companies are run by the same people stagecoach, national express, First (hull trains and fgw) and Arriva. I couldn't go and judge peoples exact age though and mistakes are easily made. The fact you had a child ticket is worse than 'I thought I could get it on the train' as it shows the intent to avoid part of the fare.

I'd just pay up, they wouldn't go to court unless your a repeat offender and don't do it again.
I don't find that price too steep for train tickets… that's pretty much how much a lot of train fares are… and it's rising. Just pay the full price like everyone else. It's not fair to complain.

It was your job to take the adult ticket, not children's ones because you are adults.
Wow, everyone is looking at this all wrong. You were mis-sold a ticket that was not fit for purpose, by the company itself.

A few questions to their prosecutions department and they'd drop it like a hot potato. Particularly when they realised you'd prepared two affidavits, each made on penalty of perjury. And, were considering taking a legal view as regards a countersuit over their failure of duty of care, failure to honour an offer, mis-selling tickers not fit for purpose ... and the resulting embarrassment, distress, costs, undue threats and months of needless anxiety.

After they dropped it... I'd then demand a refund on the child fares paid, and get that too.

Latest