Turn on thread page Beta

Looks or Intelligence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,
    Looks or smartness - which one would you choose to have in life and why?

ReputationRep:
    That's assuming one is not already intellectually and physically gifted

ReputationRep:
    They aren't mutually exclusive!

But I'd probably pick intelligence, it can get you further in life tbh. But saying that, I don't know if I could handle looking like a foot, even with an IQ of 2738281 :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirb)
    They aren't mutually exclusive!

But I'd probably pick intelligence, it can get you further in life tbh. But saying that, I don't know if I could handle looking like a foot, even with an IQ of 2738281 :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Assuming that in giving up 'looks', you'll just look pretty average. I would say intelligence on the basis that an intelligent person would be capable of improving their looks without surgery, whereas a pretty person can't really become that much more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Beauty fades, dumb is forever - Judge Judy

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence, so I can use it to make lots of money which I could use to afford cosmetic surgeries.

ReputationRep:
    if she still has a great personality, then looks. a good relationship needs chemistry (though i would worry about whether this reciprocated regarding my end :holmes:) i.e. physical attraction

not sure about everyone, but i would say it is a little pompous that you need intelligence for a relationship to work... as if their mouth overflows with intellectual statements every second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by defeatedmac)
    Assuming that in giving up 'looks', you'll just look pretty average.
    technically youre giving a handicap to the intellectual then, i think it would have been safe to assume that the op meant opposites i.e. hot+dumb as hell, or intellectual+ugly as hell... if we started doing this handicap thing then it would only be fair to also assume the looker is somewhat intellectual also

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence, however as someone said, they aren't mutually exclusive. Frankly, I wouldn't date someone who only had one or the other. I need someone who I find physically attractive as well as someone with whom I can have an intelligent conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence. If you make money, people will still be following regardless of your looks.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence. Not so that I can make money and get plastic surgeries, why should we strive to look "beautiful"? I think intelligence should be used with the intention of making this world a better, cleaner place.

But then again, isn't it the intelligent people who modernized (hence polluted) the world? :confused:

Looks.

ReputationRep:
    i would rather have a longer attention-span.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence!
    Its not my problem if people don't find me "hot" or "sexy". Make up can be wiped off with tissue anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence, a good body and nice face can only get you so far if your conversation is anywhere along the lines of "fifa?" "yuh" "k"

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence and a nice personality

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence.

I think having a beautiful personality can make you seem more attractive physically than you might otherwise appear on first meeting because someone's personality kinda changes how you view them whereas you either have intelligence or you don't and no amount of getting to know someone will change how clever they are.

Also, there's not much someone can do about their looks but intelligence can be worked on so it's a better thing to judge someone on.

ReputationRep:
    Looks.
    You don't need to be intelligent to be successful in life.. look at Rihanna.

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    Looks.
    You don't need to be intelligent to be successful in life.. look at Rihanna.
    Lol Lol Lol Lol

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.