The Student Room Group

Single people, how do you cope without someone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My girlfriend broke up with me about a month ago, we only lasted a month in the first place so it wasn't so bad I guess, but even to start with I was pretty down. Then I eventually figured that my time is too important to just waste pining over someone I can no longer have, and I started doing my own thing...going into starbucks, sitting down with a flat white and just reading a book for however long I wanted, or spontaneously meeting up with a friend and going to the pub for a drink with them, then taking a walk through a park... I don't know, I just figured that I have to do something I enjoy, especially since i'm now on a gap year and won't have much time to do this stuff once I go to uni next year, since i'm studying medicine.

I also joined the gym and I'm going pretty much every day.

Sorry if I seemed to ramble on, but all I'm trying to say is - it's your life, do whatever will make you happy, don't think that you have to be in a relationship to do so. This phase will most likely pass again after some time...then it'll come back, then it'll pass. Hopefully you'll find a nice girl who will make you happy and you can do the same to her.

All the best OP.

Some good advice x
Reply 101
Well it doesn't bother me really. I do believe now that I have a soulmate out there somewhere and I know roughly where she is now too. That's really exciting for me.

Until I meet her, i'll just get on with life and enjoy it.
Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7X7sZzSXYs

'lonely is a freedom that breathes easy and weightless,
and lonely is healing if you make it'

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I had a bf for about 2 years, and although it's nice to have someone to be with, it can also get kind of annoying! I found it distanced me from my friends, and I got fed up because I didn't want to be really affectionate in public or always be with him. I like having time to myself, I have more time for reading and watching things I like without being called 'antisocial'. I also found that over time, he wasn't right for me anyway, so I let that bog me down for a while too.

I'm hoping there is someone out there who is compatible, but I'm not in a rush, I'm only 19 so I enjoy having time to find my own interests and see my friends rather than feeling I have to be with someone, as society tells me.
confidence plays a large part my friend not all on looks you need to go out and fish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending