The Student Room Group

Prospects of a Medicine Reject

What alternatives do they have? Biomedical Science isn't much of an alternative to many: just because some of the content of the degree is similar doesn't meanit is a good option. There are thousands of Biomedical Science graduates, very clever and some former Medicine Rejects, that end up in retail, or as a "do-er" in laboratories. Doctors also have wonderful progression prospects, which is far far away from the prospects in many of the alternate career paths suggested.

In terms of applying to back-up degrees, Medicine applicants are also screwed, because they can only be ones that don't offer much in terms of high-profile careers at the end, as the personal statement either will be completely different and not accepted, or, accepted by a degree with poor prospects compared to Medicine such as Biomedical Science.

QUESTION

How can one be ambitious and aim for a high-flying career again?

PLEASE

Don't get on your high-horse about what is and isn't good motivations for Medicine. If it paid £14,000 a year and the only progression available was tiny, would you honestly apply? Also be aware you may think that you are altruistic with a desire to help people, a love of science etc. but in reality money, prestige, progression prospects and the fact that you find it easy to just memorise stuff with science and enjoy the fact that the fate of your A-Level grade is much more in your hands with the sciences than with subjective and volatile humanities is very likely to be the true reason. The brain then bullsugars itself to make you feel good. Just how many times have you heard or experienced someone completely turning things around in an argument, or maybe you where without realising :rolleyes: ?!?!

EDIT: BTW I am in Year 11 and when I am talking about rejected people I am refering to people in the year above, I am thinking about my Plan B.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm going for pharmacy, which has decent job progression and remuneration, and I guess a lot more chemistry, which is essentially what I really enjoy (more so than biology). So perhaps pharmacy is a better career for me personally than medicine? :smile:
To be honest, I don't think you are that ambitious if you can't see any high-flying careers outside medicine. With medicine, the career progression is quite clear but even still only a proportion (quite high) become consultants due to rigours college exams and availability of posts.

With degrees such as biomedical science,biology, pharmacy... the career pathway is less defined so if you are ambitious enough, you can find yourself in a very well paid job. For example, a chief scientist in a government lab that I did work experience in was on £70k pa. It took him a long time to reach that post but it can be done.

So, don't be disheartened because there is still a good chance that you can use your ambition to secure a very good job in the future.
Original post by thegodofgod
I'm going for pharmacy, which has decent job progression and remuneration, and I guess a lot more chemistry, which is essentially what I really enjoy (more so than biology). So perhaps pharmacy is a better career for me personally than medicine? :smile:

I don't think your brain is bullsugaring itself here, that is a good reason :biggrin:, they are definately very different subjects. I think Pharmacy sounds okay. I don't want to scare you or put you off, but isn't there a real problem with loads and loads of Pharmacy graduates?
If I didn't get into medicine I wanted to be a midwife :smile: So my experience would still be relevant. I understand what you're saying but generally those that put the effort in get offers, it's not such a bad system as you think.
Original post by themedicalgeek
To be honest, I don't think you are that ambitious if you can't see any high-flying careers outside medicine. With medicine, the career progression is quite clear but even still only a proportion (quite high) become consultants due to rigours college exams and availability of posts.

With degrees such as biomedical science,biology, pharmacy... the career pathway is less defined so if you are ambitious enough, you can find yourself in a very well paid job. For example, a chief scientist in a government lab that I did work experience in was on £70k pa. It took him a long time to reach that post but it can be done.

So, don't be disheartened because there is still a good chance that you can use your ambition to secure a very good job in the future.

I guess I do need to quit whining. It's just that the drop is so big, from very clear and probable progression, to very unclear, less probable and longer progression. A doctor can become a consultant at ~35 years of age, yet £70k in the related alternatives will be practically near retirement :frown:
Original post by OhMedicineOhMed
I don't think your brain is bullsugaring itself here, that is a good reason :biggrin:, they are definately very different subjects. I think Pharmacy sounds okay. I don't want to scare you or put you off, but isn't there a real problem with loads and loads of Pharmacy graduates?

Yes, there is, but I don't think I want to become a pharmacist in the 'normal' sense, i.e. your local pharmacist - I want to work in the industry and hopefully go into research :wink:
You can be bitter about failing UKCAT but you needent get rejected because of it- there are 8 medical schools that don't use it at all and I'm sure some fo the other would give you an interview based on the other stuff.
I'm not going to lie, money and career progression/career guarantee were 80% of the reasons why I applied to med.
Original post by Hippokrates
If I didn't get into medicine I wanted to be a midwife :smile: So my experience would still be relevant. I understand what you're saying but generally those that put the effort in get offers, it's not such a bad system as you think.

We're going to disagree here, so I will only reply to this once as not to open up a huge debate, but you only have to look at the studies and statistics on the UKCAT and interviews. What about HYMS admissions,where they hardly look at grades achieved which actually require motivation that has measurable outcomes, rather than assessing motivation in an interview (aka blagging skills). This HYMS example is one of many that show it is highly based on luck and I doubt it is as pleasant to stomach as the hardest working, and capable, getting the offers. Also are you in medical school by any chance,relating to my ideas of the brain bullsugaring itself? It would be flattering to believe the highlighted if so (and conversely, the opposite view is easier to stomach if one has been rejected!!! Hehe we humans are funny) I'm not trying to offend, just being philosophical.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thegodofgod
Yes, there is, but I don't think I want to become a pharmacist in the 'normal' sense, i.e. your local pharmacist - I want to work in the industry and hopefully go into research :wink:

It's true that this is the common image. I know of these other routes, hospital pharmacists as well, and wish you luck :smile: !
Original post by AspiringGenius
You can be bitter about failing UKCAT but you needent get rejected because of it- there are 8 medical schools that don't use it at all and I'm sure some fo the other would give you an interview based on the other stuff.

True dat.
It's true that this is the common image. I know of these other routes, hospital pharmacists as well, and wish you luck :smile: !

Thank you very much! I wish you the best of luck too :smile:
medicine applicants tend to have good qualifications. If they want they can go into any of the careers that are open to graduates regardless of their degree. You can, for example, do accountancy, law conversion course, become a management consultant, do medical or pharmaceutical sales. Of come up with a bright idea and make a fortune from it (wasn't facebook developed by scientists?). Best way to make a lot of money is to have your own business.
Reply 14
QUESTION

How can one be ambitious and aim for a high-flying career again?

Don't forget GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine) is an alternative route into Medicine. Most medical schools will require at least a 2.2 Hons Health Sciences based primary degree and you'll need to take an entrance exam called GAMSAT to be considered.
(edited 10 years ago)
someone once told me that those having the top jobs in the banks get loads and loads of money ...
We're going to disagree here, so I will only reply to this once as not to open up a huge debate, but you only have to look at the studies and statistics on the UKCAT and interviews. What about HYMS admissions,where they hardly look at grades achieved which actually require motivation that has measurable outcomes, rather than assessing motivation in an interview (aka blagging skills). This HYMS example is one of many that show it is highly based on luck and I doubt it is as pleasant to stomach as the hardest working, and capable, getting the offers. Also are you in medical school by any chance,relating to my ideas of the brain bullsugaring itself? It would be flattering to believe the highlighted if so (and conversely, the opposite view is easier to stomach if one has been rejected!!! Hehe we humans are funny) I'm not trying to offend, just being philosophical.

Well certainly in my college (15/45 got in) those who did the most work got in. All the people with voluntary jobs got offers, whereas those who thought their grades would sail them through (usually the BMAT applicants) got instant rejections. Yes the UKCAT doesn't predict anything but those that practice get higher scores.Did you get rejected? I know I worked hard especially when in one of my interviews the interviewer couldn't believe how much work experience I'd done. I'm not confident, I don't perform at my best under pressure and i still got four offers so interviews aren't all about blagging skills. I can understand those that got rejected wanting to hate the system, but it is what it is. If you research uni and meet the requirements then you'll get an interview simple as that.
Original post by Hippokrates
Well certainly in my college (15/45 got in) those who did the most work got in. All the people with voluntary jobs got offers, whereas those who thought their grades would sail them through (usually the BMAT applicants) got instant rejections. Yes the UKCAT doesn't predict anything but those that practice get higher scores.Did you get rejected? I know I worked hard especially when in one of my interviews the interviewer couldn't believe how much work experience I'd done. I'm not confident, I don't perform at my best under pressure and i still got four offers so interviews aren't all about blagging skills. I can understand those that got rejected wanting to hate the system, but it is what it is. If you research uni and meet the requirements then you'll get an interview simple as that.

At private school you have more tools to convert effort into an offer. At state school they are given zero help or advice or interview coaching, the school knew nothing and neither do a lot of parents. Only 3 applied in the year, and one indeed didn't have enough work experience, another spent two seconds on the personal statement. Even when applying as strategically as possible with 6 weeks of work experience and 10 months hospital volunteering etc. there are going to be some people rejected who were more deserving and more capable than some that get offers. What if you hadn't had any advice whatsoever, including with interviews. Did you organise all your work experience yourself?
Original post by AreebWithaHat
I'm not going to lie, money and career progression/career guarantee were 80% of the reasons why I applied to med.

in reality money, prestige, progression prospects and the fact that you find it easy to just memorise stuff with science and enjoy the fact that the fate of your A-Level grade is much more in your hands with the sciences than with subjective and volatile humanities is very likely to be the true reason.

I'm glad some people are prepared to admit that.

And to be honest, a lot of people apply for a back-up in something like biomed, but I know people who have got offers for Chemistry with a medicine personal statement. If you don't think that's a degree with good prospects, then perhaps your expectations are a bit high.
Just as a note for people saying career prospects are great for medicine, if graduate prospects were measured 6 months after F2 rather than 6 months after graduation then you'd be seeing figures averaging in the high 60s rather than high 90s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending