The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bestofyou
Which it has been proven they were not.

20:20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sure a multi million pound investigation into Iraq and Afghanistan will show that I did something wrong, but at the time with my face in the dirt praying to survive, I did what I thought was best.

True, and this was covered in the inquiry so it is a moot point in this context. Regardless, as I previously said, people were shot holding white flags and with hands in the air. If all those shot had guns as you seem suspicious of, then surely at least one would have been found with a gun, it is unlikely that all the guns could have been recovered and I am some what certain we would have heard a little more from the military side of it complaining that most of those killed were armed but had the weapons taken away.

People get shot. Whether they get shot in unaimed crossfire, or aimed fire is difficult to prove or disprove.

Well with your last comment it seems you have a funny way of showing that, no offence.

The Para's are good for when you need Violence and a job done. Police action type activity they aren't good at

Because they are retarded, why the hell else?

To also defend their criminal activities and in armed struggle, some people benefit when violence is happening. It allows them to carry on with their criminal activity as the police are otherwise engaged elsewhere.

You also have a younger generation who aspire to be players as they feel it makes them a big man.

So basically, we can say in armed conflict bad things happen. But as the British Army is an arm of the democratically elected British Government, then it's not a terrorist organisation.
Reply 62
Original post by MatureStudent36
..To also defend their criminal activities and in armed struggle, some people benefit when violence is happening. It allows them to carry on with their criminal activity as the police are otherwise engaged elsewhere.

You also have a younger generation who aspire to be players as they feel it makes them a big man.

Yeah, but all that comes under the sub-category of being an idiotic greedy bigot.

Other than the latter point, when then changes to idiotic bigots who are literally stuck in a stone age style era throwing rocks and other projectiles at other homo-sapiens for reasons they do not actually know (this covers both sides, not just furture 'republicans'.)
Reply 63
First of all I do not condone terrorism nor do I have particularly strong feelings of dislike towards Britain or the military. I happen to believe I am of a new generation who can think for myself and won't have my opinion plagued by the infectious sectarianism that is rife in this part of Ireland.

Don't kid yourself. Your post shows an obvious bias. I am international and have no real knowledge about what the issue is.

Original post by Obiejess
*cough* Bloody Sunday- Brit Army bastard murderers *cough*

Posted from TSR Mobile

To both of you. A standing army of any democratic nation is funded by every bodies taxes and run by a government elected by the people.

When a group of people for whatever cause even if it is a right cause takes up arms and use "terror tactics" even placing a bomb somewhere and giving a warning is a terror tactic. It's a way of saying "I can kill if I want. Not doing it right now but give us what we want or maybe next time we won't give a warning" They are then terrorists. How ever justifiable you may think the cause is, it is still terrorism.

Now when a terrorist group comes up the standing army of the government elected by the majority of the nation tries to stop this. They will make all attempts to not harm civilians. Sometimes an army person may randomly kill civilians. That was not the wish of the govt. This person may not get the punishment that would normally be given for murder. Sometimes civilians could get killed in the crossfire. Sometimes by mistaken identity. (the boy who got killed on a train soon after the train bombings in London comes to mind) And so on. The terrorists then start harping on these. After a period of time interestingly you will find that people are supporting these terrorists on account of the atrocities committed by the army. So you will even find situations where the army is set up by the terrorist so that civilians get killed. It helps their cause.

Conclusion. All these a"atrocities" happened not because the Army randomly decided to go about killing civilians or terrorising them it happened because a group of misguided fools decided to take up arms for a cause. So they must bear the guilt for these.

So without knowing the cause fought for by the IRA and how valid is your number of 151 "civilians" killed by the british army I'd have to say IRA can be defined as a terrorist group as they took up arms illegally for a cause and used terror tactics. The army cannot be defined as terrorists as they did what they were put there by the majority to do. That is protect the nation.

The blacks in USA comes to mind. They didn't take up terror tactics but have a black president. Some more to go but getting there.

Hey the indians kicked the British out without having to take up arms. The irish should have been able to too if the majority of the irish wanted to.
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Its all about which perspective you look at it from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Huto
If you willingly decided to join the army (which is currently taking part in huge war crimes), you're all of those things. No offence bro. Th good people in the army left as soon as the illegal wars began.

Rubbish and ridiculous.
There were armed IRA members present on that day.

Those killed have been proven not to have been armed. I was saying supporting this argument after it was hinted they might have been armed, which is why I referred to the state of the IRA in terms of volunteer numbers and weapons in early 1972. At which point you burst onto the scene, uninvited and misinformed, taking my quote out of context and come out with 'Martin McGuinness' as if that is supposed to mean anything in relation to what I had just said.

I know full well that those who were shot happened to be unarmed. I won't comment as to whether or not they were IRA members or not as this can't possibly be ascertained either way.

McGuinness was there and even though it hasn't been proven conclusively that he was armed, you accept the fact that he almost certainly was, and that he was a leading member of the IRA at the time. It is too much to accept that he just happened to be there and armed at a civil rights protest against the British Army as a coincidence of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thus it is reasonable to draw the conclusions that the IRA was heavily involved in the protest, if not orchestrating it.

There happened to be at least one IRA member there with at least one illegal weapon, they just didn't end up getting shot dead - if they had been killed along with the rest and his Thompson recovered, it wouldn't have changed the reality of the protest (as in those other people would still have ended up being dead), but it would almost certainly have changed the outcome of the Bloody Sunday enquiry, if there was one at all.

In any case, I will reply to any post I choose to, you don't own this forum or dictate to who I will reply to or in what manner I do so.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by NinjasInPyjamas
One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Its all about which perspective you look at it from

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the classic argument of a terrorist. If the country is governed by a democratically elected govt. (I obviously do not refer to an election like the one Mugabe wins) then there is no way one can use that argument.
Reply 68
Original post by HPAG
Don't kid yourself. Your post shows an obvious bias. I am international and have no real knowledge about what the issue is.

I have an opinion on the matter and therefore it, like every opinion is biased. However if you are suggesting I support terrorism you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Conclusion. All these a"atrocities" happened not because the Army randomly decided to go about killing civilians or terrorising them it happened because a group of misguided fools decided to take up arms for a cause. So they must bear the guilt for these.

So without knowing the cause fought for by the IRA and how valid is your number of 151 "civilians" killed by the british army I'd have to say IRA can be defined as a terrorist group as they took up arms illegally for a cause and used terror tactics. The army cannot be defined as terrorists as they did what they were put there by the majority to do. That is protect the nation.

The blacks in USA comes to mind. They didn't take up terror tactics but have a black president. Some more to go but getting there.

Hey the indians kicked the British out without having to take up arms. The irish should have been able to too if the majority of the irish wanted to.

There was a movement in the late 1960s and was based on the civil rights movement in the USA the decade before. The Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association (NICRA) was a non-sectarian organisation that was made up of Catholics and Protestants marching for civil rights (even the working class protestants had a very poor standard of living at the time). However the media twisted the movement and portrayed it as a nationalist movement, this was helped by the fact that the RUC would beat them back into the nationalist areas where subsequent rioting would often break out. Eventually things go so bad the movement was being coined as a front for the IRA, it alienated protestants and by the end it essentially was marching for catholic rights, but only because the unionist government went out of their way to ensure that no catholic and protestant unified force would succeed. United we stand divided we fall is probably on Stormont's walls somewhere, just under several coats of paint by now.

It is for this reason that there are so many nationalist and unionist areas in the likes of Belfast as opposed on mixed areas. The unionist government wouldn't allow them to mix as this would mess up their voting system that was gerrymandered. Anyway, the once the civil rights movement was given a 'catholic rights' paint job by the government, tensions rose and the British army was deployed on the brink of a civil war between the two Irish communities.

You should also remember that the majority of the Irish did want to, but Northern Ireland is under UK jurisdiction and the unionists were a manifested majority in a gerrymandered country called Northern Ireland. Also, perhaps you should look up the Black Panthers or the ANC. Peaceful means is not always possible I'm afraid.
Reply 69
Original post by marcusfox

In any case, I will reply to any post I choose to, you don't own this forum or dictate to who I will reply to or in what manner I do so.

Don't say that. He may find where you live. Put a bomb in your house and inform the police to evacuate the property. As he is not a terrorist he keeps the police informed about bombs he places.
Reply 70
Original post by HPAG

Er, Black Panthers? Perhaps not terror tactics, but definitely not friendly...
Original post by HPAG
That's the classic argument of a terrorist. If the country is governed by a democratically elected govt. (I obviously do not refer to an election like the one Mugabe wins) then there is no way one can use that argument.

Im sure the Iraqis would call the Americans terrorist and themselves freedom fighters, just as the Americans would call the Iraqis terrorists and classify themselves as those fighting for justice. Im not trying to say one sides right and one sides wrong (although most of them time at least one side is in wrong) its just that both sides will view themselves as being correct, and therefore will label the opposing side as the terrorist.

In response to the OP, the British media aren't gonna label their own country as terrorists are they regardless of what they do, cos well what are they going to benefit from that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
I have an opinion on the matter and therefore it, like every opinion is biased. However if you are suggesting I support terrorism you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

There was a movement in the late 1960s and was based on the civil rights movement in the USA the decade before. The Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association (NICRA) was a non-sectarian organisation that was made up of Catholics and Protestants marching for civil rights (even the working class protestants had a very poor standard of living at the time). However the media twisted the movement and portrayed it as a nationalist movement, this was helped by the fact that the RUC would beat them back into the nationalist areas where subsequent rioting would often break out. Eventually things go so bad the movement was being coined as a front for the IRA, it alienated protestants and by the end it essentially was marching for catholic rights, but only because the unionist government went out of their way to ensure that no catholic and protestant unified force would succeed. United we stand divided we fall is probably on Stormont's walls somewhere, just under several coats of paint by now.

It is for this reason that there are so many nationalist and unionist areas in the likes of Belfast as opposed on mixed areas. The unionist government wouldn't allow them to mix as this would mess up their voting system that was gerrymandered. Anyway, the once the civil rights movement was given a 'catholic rights' paint job by the government, tensions rose and the British army was deployed on the brink of a civil war between the two Irish communities.

You should also remember that the majority of the Irish did want to, but Northern Ireland is under UK jurisdiction and the unionists were a manifested majority in a gerrymandered country called Northern Ireland. Also, perhaps you should look up the Black Panthers or the ANC. Peaceful means is not always possible I'm afraid.

Not condemning terrorists as terrorists is supporting them. That "I am not asking if the IRA are terrorists only why the army is not called terrorist" is effectively supporting the terrorists. Like I said I am international and do not know the history of this issue. Just reading the bit you posted makes it obvious to me this is a classic case that I was talking about. The IRA has made the anti - Army thing the cause as the real cause could not rally the majority. Look the Scots are having another referendum to split. Quebec in Canada have had a few. If their really is a majority first get rid of the IRA and all those who were part of it. (I find it hard to believe that that IRA leader Jerry Adams was not arrested and thrown into jail for life) then have a referendum . And when your cause doesn't win don't give the excuses you give in your last post about how the govt put Irish against Irish.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 73
Original post by marcusfox
I know full well that those who were shot happened to be unarmed. I won't comment as to whether or not they were IRA members or not as this can't possibly be ascertained either way.

McGuinness was there and even though it hasn't been proven conclusively that he was armed, you accept the fact that he almost certainly was, and that he was a leading member of the IRA at the time. It is too much to accept that he just happened to be there and armed at a civil rights protest against the British Army as a coincidence of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Thus it is reasonable to draw the conclusions that the IRA was heavily involved in the protest, if not orchestrating it.

There happened to be at least one IRA member there with at least one illegal weapon, they just didn't end up getting shot dead - if they had been killed along with the rest and his Thompson recovered, it wouldn't have changed the reality of the protest (as in those other people would still have ended up being dead), but it would almost certainly have changed the outcome of the Bloody Sunday enquiry, if there was one at all.

lol

what a badly misinformed post. I am glad to see you finally removed the Irish flag from your profile Marcus because you clearly know nothing about the island or its history. I said McGuiness was in the Bogside, he lived there after all. I said nothing about him being anywhere near the protest. It was a NICRA march and the NICRA leaders knew exactly who's who in the IRA in the area, there is no way in hell they would have let them anywhere near the protest let alone be heavily involved or...wait for it...ORCHESTRATED it lol. Honestly, I've heard some silly things, but to hear that the IRA were the leaders of the civil rights movement is quite amusing.
Reply 74
Also, perhaps you should look up the Black Panthers or the ANC. Peaceful means is not always possible I'm afraid.

Please Nelson Mandela spent most of his life in jail not carrying a gun for his cause. And you started by saying

Peacefull means is ALWAYS possible ask Mahatma Ghandhi. He called of the first real nation wide independence movement in India when some of his supporters attacked a British police station india. He said the cause does NOT justify the means.
Reply 75
Original post by HPAG
Not condemning terrorists as terrorists is supporting them. That "I am not asking if the IRA are terrorists only why the army is not called terrorist" is effectively supporting the terrorists. Like I said I am international and do not know the history of this issue. Just reading the bit you posted makes it obvious to me this is a classic case that I was talking about. The IRA has made the anti - Army thing the cause as the real cause could not rally the majority. Look the Scots are having another referendum to split. Quebec in Canada have had a few. If their really is a majority first get rid of the IRA and all those who were part of it. (I find it hard to believe that that IRA leader Jerry Adams was not arrested and thrown into jail for life) then have a referendum . And when your cause doesn't win don't give the excuses you give in your last post about how the govt put Irish against Irish.

The IRA wasn't as clear cut as 'we want British rule out of Ireland and we will start an armed campaign of violence to achieve that'. As you said, you don't really know anything about it, and this shows in you post that has serious gaps. You are also comparing different countries at different times to the situation back then, this is not a good idea.

I should add, the people of Ireland voted democratically for Home Rule in the early 1900s. They were refused democracy and now we have the mess we are in today, so do not provide examples of peaceful achievements in other countries because the Irish tried at every chance to get what they needed through democracy, only to have it refused by the British. I'll just ignore the Gerry Adams comment entirely, not worth correcting.

If you want to learn about the conflict in the easiest way then watch the series of documentaries by Peter Taylor, they are probably the most informative and to the point means of learning the history as you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmbWuaTJvE
Reply 76
The IRA wasn't as clear cut as 'we want British rule out of Ireland and we will start an armed campaign of violence to achieve that'. As you said, you don't really know anything about it, and this shows in you post that has serious gaps. You are also comparing different countries at different times to the situation back then, this is not a good idea.

I should add, the people of Ireland voted democratically for Home Rule in the early 1900s. They were refused democracy and now we have the mess we are in today, so do not provide examples of peaceful achievements in other countries because the Irish tried at every chance to get what they needed through democracy, only to have it refused by the British. I'll just ignore the Gerry Adams comment entirely, not worth correcting.

If you want to learn about the conflict in the easiest way then watch the series of documentaries by Peter Taylor, they are probably the most informative and to the point means of learning the history as you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqmbWuaTJvE

The Scots don't have an IRA equivalent. They will probably get seperated from england long before the Irish. Not knowing the history of thing I won't try to get into the right or wrong of the cause. But I repeat the ends do not justify the means. And I think I answered reasonably well in my post above, your original question, as to why the army is not a terrorist group and the IRA is. So let's leave it there. Cheers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Drewski
Er, Black Panthers? Perhaps not terror tactics, but definitely not friendly...

It was not they who managed to get the rights that blacks have managed to get in the US. I was not trying to say there were/are no groups like the Black Panthers. I am pointing out that it was not by them or their methods that Blacks have got what they have got.
Reply 78
Original post by HPAG
The Scots don't have an IRA equivalent. They will probably get seperated from england long before the Irish. Not knowing the history of thing I won't try to get into the right or wrong of the cause. But I repeat the ends do not justify the means. And I think I answered reasonably well in my post above your original question as to why the army is not a terrorist group and the IRA is. So let's leave it there. Cheers.

You only need to know the history to understand why there is no Scottish version of the IRA.

Original post by HPAG
Please Nelson Mandela spent most of his life in jail not carrying a gun for his cause. And you started by saying

This is Umkhonto we Sizwe, co-founded by Mandela. It was the armed wing of the ANC.

Spoiler

and here are the Black Panthers

Spoiler

Peacefull means is ALWAYS possible ask Mahatma Ghandhi. He called of the first real nation wide independence movement in India when some of his supporters attacked a British police station india. He said the cause does NOT justify the means.

Yeah, peaceful protest worked just great in the across Arab world in 2011 didn't it?
I said McGuiness was in the Bogside, he lived there after all. I said nothing about him being anywhere near the protest. It was a NICRA march and the NICRA leaders knew exactly who's who in the IRA in the area, there is no way in hell they would have let them anywhere near the protest let alone be heavily involved or...wait for it...ORCHESTRATED it lol. Honestly, I've heard some silly things, but to hear that the IRA were the leaders of the civil rights movement is quite amusing.

The Bogside is a hotbed of Republicanism and it is inconceivable that there wouldn't be IRA members there or involved in the protest.

You seem pretty confident that the NICRA would not have let members of the IRA near the protest, which has no value whatsoever as that is just supposition based on your own personal view.

It seems strange to me that you think that the NICRA would be so concerned with or even able to keep IRA members away from the protest when one of those who was shot had nail bombs on his person. What happened there - slipped through did he?

That man, while not a member of the IRA was a member of the IRA's youth wing, the Fianna. So immediately it becomes a semantic argument, if you are arguing that those who were shot were not in the IRA.

Nothing I have written in this thread justifies the British Army opening fire however.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending