The Student Room Group

Break or clutch controling

So im new here and just learn learn how to drive recently, so my question if your in a crowdy area with many people, what should I do? Use the clutch to control the car? or off the clutch then just half brake continuously then just clutch down if im going to stop(but might be hard)? Will i just use the bite point or the riding the clutch but everyone said it ruin your clutch? So any advice here?.
Thanks advance.
Reply 1
I've been driving for 2 years and I still don't know if my slow moving traffic abilities are 100% correct. As long as you press the clutch fully down and don't accelerate then it will not effect your clutch. If you have the clutch down while still putting some revs on then it will start to wear down your clutch.

I just put my clutch down and brake and then when I want to slowly move off again I put the slightest of revs on and bring the clutch up to the bite just enough to get me moving. Then if I need to stop again I just put the clutch down again and brake and keep repeating. It's very up and down'y and it can be frustrating if you're not very good at getting very slight revs. I don't have a rev-meter in my car so I can't tell you exactly what I aim to go for but in my eyes you should be pressing the accelerate pedal without being able to hear the engine at all. Just enough to engage the bite point and not to stall. This is in a 13 year old car so if I can do it, you can do it. If it helps, turn all music off in the car and concentrate on the engine noise until you get used to it. You don't want to be rev'ing too hard and jerking forward and then having to slam on again, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by freezcool
So im new here and just learn learn how to drive recently, so my question if your in a crowdy area with many people, what should I do? Use the clutch to control the car? or off the clutch then just half brake continuously then just clutch down if im going to stop(but might be hard)? Will i just use the bite point or the riding the clutch but everyone said it ruin your clutch? So any advice here?.
Thanks advance.

You shouldn't use the brake at the same time as using the clutch at biting point in the situation you just described, it's bad for the car. Just edge along as has already been described by clutch control :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I use clutch control only on hills and usually if I know I can go In the next 10 seconds.... Otherwise it's brake and clutch, then handbrake and clutch.... Then when I want to go its a bit of power and bring up the clutch slightly then handbrake release.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Grimezy
I've been driving for 2 years and I still don't know if my slow moving traffic abilities are 100% correct. As long as you press the clutch fully down and don't accelerate then it will not effect your clutch. If you have the clutch down while still putting some revs on then it will start to wear down your clutch.

I just put my clutch down and brake and then when I want to slowly move off again I put the slightest of revs on and bring the clutch up to the bite just enough to get me moving. Then if I need to stop again I just put the clutch down again and brake and keep repeating. It's very up and down'y and it can be frustrating if you're not very good at getting very slight revs. I don't have a rev-meter in my car so I can't tell you exactly what I aim to go for but in my eyes you should be pressing the accelerate pedal without being able to hear the engine at all. Just enough to engage the bite point and not to stall. This is in a 13 year old car so if I can do it, you can do it. If it helps, turn all music off in the car and concentrate on the engine noise until you get used to it. You don't want to be rev'ing too hard and jerking forward and then having to slam on again, etc.

Let say there's a heavy traffic and keep on moving and stopping and so on. if i stuck on the biting point, will it wear my clutch? cause im stepping for so long?
Reply 5
Original post by Stevo F
You shouldn't use the brake at the same time as using the clutch at biting point in the situation you just described, it's bad for the car. Just edge along as has already been described by clutch control :smile:

So using clutch to control the car is the right thing to do. But everyone told me that its bad to keep stepping on the clutch?
Reply 6
By the way everyone, when i starting a car, i always give a little gas 1st before clutching u, is that make gas wasted or bad or what?
Reply 7
So using clutch to control the car is the right thing to do. But everyone told me that its bad to keep stepping on the clutch?

It's the only thing you can do to keep with the car in front, other than that you can wait for them to move a lot further ahead before you go so you can stay fully in first gear for a while but the cars behind won't thank you for doing that :lol:
By the way everyone, when i starting a car, i always give a little gas 1st before clutching u, is that make gas wasted or bad or what?

You don't need it on a downhill start, a little is useful on the level and you need quite a bit on an uphill start :smile: (also depends how quickly you want to move off)
Reply 8
Let say there's a heavy traffic and keep on moving and stopping and so on. if i stuck on the biting point, will it wear my clutch? cause im stepping for so long?

You only need to be on the bite to start moving, as you move forward you should be slowly bringing your foot off the clutch but keeping it on the accelerator. If the traffic stops again then put the clutch fully back down and you'll start to slow, if you need the brake then you can use the break. You should only need tiny amounts of gas to get the car moving forward and then you should either be driving as normal if the traffic is moving quickly or slowing back down by putting the clutch down and taking your foot off the accelerator. Don't keep on the bite point with the engine screaming along in traffic.

It's really difficult to explain, it's just something you have to practice. Try going to a quiet road or car park and practising moving off without using many revs. And then slowing down as if you were in traffic. You'll soon pick it up.
Reply 9
Original post by Stevo F
It's the only thing you can do to keep with the car in front, other than that you can wait for them to move a lot further ahead before you go so you can stay fully in first gear for a while but the cars behind won't thank you for doing that :lol:

Yeah i have done that last time when i wait the front to go further but my back keeps on horning and i got stall because of confuse what to do.
So basically, im stuck at biting point. Clutch down-bite point-clutch down-bite point is that it? will it break my clutch?

You don't need it on a downhill start, a little is useful on the level and you need quite a bit on an uphill start :smile: (also depends how quickly you want to move off)

Im just curious it will have some side effect if i go gas first then clutch.
Reply 10
Yeah i have done that last time when i wait the front to go further but my back keeps on horning and i got stall because of confuse what to do.
So basically, im stuck at biting point. Clutch down-bite point-clutch down-bite point is that it? will it break my clutch?

Im just curious it will have some side effect if i go gas first then clutch.

Tbh it's better to follow the car in front (as long as you leave a decent amount of room) by using clutch control
It won't break your clutch, it would take a lot of use for it to break and it's inevitably going to break anyway...

There's no side effect except it may make it harder to hear/feel biting point and you're using a bit of extra fuel...
Reply 11
Original post by Grimezy
You only need to be on the bite to start moving, as you move forward you should be slowly bringing your foot off the clutch but keeping it on the accelerator. If the traffic stops again then put the clutch fully back down and you'll start to slow, if you need the brake then you can use the break. You should only need tiny amounts of gas to get the car moving forward and then you should either be driving as normal if the traffic is moving quickly or slowing back down by putting the clutch down and taking your foot off the accelerator. Don't keep on the bite point with the engine screaming along in traffic.

It's really difficult to explain, it's just something you have to practice. Try going to a quiet road or car park and practising moving off without using many revs. And then slowing down as if you were in traffic. You'll soon pick it up.

I mean if it sudden move and sudden stop and sudden move and stop again. So i cant release my clutch fully?
Reply 12
Original post by Stevo F
Tbh it's better to follow the car in front (as long as you leave a decent amount of room) by using clutch control
It won't break your clutch, it would take a lot of use for it to break and it's inevitably going to break anyway...

There's no side effect except it may make it harder to hear/feel biting point and you're using a bit of extra fuel...

To make me clear,its okay using clutch down-bite point-clutch down-bite point what im doing when slowing down and stopping and it will not break my clutch.

Thanks
Reply 13
I mean if it sudden move and sudden stop and sudden move and stop again. So i cant release my clutch fully?

In that situation just use your bite enough to start moving forward and then take your foot off the gas and put your foot down on the clutch again. Your revs will cut out and the car will slowly roll forward, if it doesn't slow down enough then you can use your brake to help. The key is not accelerating too quickly so that you're having to slam on your brakes, you just want to roll slow enough to keep the car moving at a sensible distance behind the car infront but so that if they slow down you can adjust your speed accordingly. And if you get close to them and they move forward again then just bring the clutch slowly up and apply gas again. Tis easy :smile:

It will feel very up and down'y on the clutch but cars are built to handle that. It's not healthy for a car to sit in traffic as they can overheat, etc especially if it's an older car but I'm afraid you just have to try your best to be as gentle as possible with it. If you're queueing for miles back on the motorway then there's no point in jolting forward and having to slam on every 5 seconds. You'd be much better off at a gentle roll trying to be as gentle on the accelerator as possible.

Like I said, practice will make perfect. I always turn off my music in a traffic jam so that I can be as gentle as possible without stalling.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Grimezy
In that situation just use your bite enough to start moving forward and then take your foot off the gas and put your foot down on the clutch again. Your revs will cut out and the car will slowly roll forward, if it doesn't slow down enough then you can use your brake to help. The key is not accelerating too quickly so that you're having to slam on your brakes, you just want to roll slow enough to keep the car moving at a sensible distance behind the car infront but so that if they slow down you can adjust your speed accordingly. And if you get close to them and they move forward again then just bring the clutch slowly up and apply gas again. Tis easy :smile:

It will feel very up and down'y on the clutch but cars are built to handle that. It's not healthy for a car to sit in traffic as they can overheat, etc especially if it's an older car but I'm afraid you just have to try your best to be as gentle as possible with it. If you're queueing for miles back on the motorway then there's no point in jolting forward and having to slam on every 5 seconds. You'd be much better off at a gentle roll trying to be as gentle on the accelerator as possible.

Like I said, practice will make perfect. I always turn off my music in a traffic jam so that I can be as gentle as possible without stalling.

Thanks for the advice, maybe im just too worried about my clutch being worn out cause being use simultaneous.
Reply 15
Thanks for the advice, maybe im just too worried about my clutch being worn out cause being use simultaneous.

As long as you are not over-accelerating while pressing the clutch down then you will be fine.

You obviously need to use the accelerator to move forward but as long as you are gentle it will be fine. Also every car is different so will react differently to slow moving traffic.
Having your clutch at the biting point always means you're wearing it down a bit. But it's just something that's unavoidable if you want to drive properly. If you just need to creep along at a few mph on flat ground, then go ahead and hold it on the biting point.
This may or may not work on your car as some cars will stall, but even some old 1L petrol engines are okay with it; If you raise the clutch all the way up without gas very slowly, you might be able to get it all the way up and save on clutch wear. You should probably take about 8-10 seconds to bring it up though so all depends on if you have to stop again beforehand. Obviously though you'll pick up speed the higher you bring the clutch up, so might not be useful if traffic is crawling really slowly.

Adding gas when you're on the biting point will wear it more, but again it's often a necessity and everyone has to do it. You should add gas before raising to the biting point to move off more quickly, the more gas applied the quicker you'll move off, and you can bring the clutch up quicker with higher revs if you want to move off even quicker.
if im in slow moving traffic, i use clutch and brake, but thats just me
I have to drive in rush hour traffic each day, this is what I do:

If i'm on a downwards slope, I put it in neutral with the clutch up and just let it roll down slowly, whilst resting on the brake ready to slow down. Much easier than having to keep moving my feet.

If it's a flat and the traffic is moving very slow, I just bring the clutch up slowly to move the car forward, without any gas. Sometimes when i've done that and i'm moving slowly, I change into 2nd and bring the clutch up with no gas again and I go a bit faster, then into third for a bit more speed. Depends how long i've been in the traffic.

If it starts moving faster then I add some gas to the above technique and keep it on the biting point. If i'm stopped and the traffic starts moving fast, I just do the biting point bit to move off.

If it starts moving fast I bring the clutch right up and go along in first or second, keeping a lot of space in front so I can stop easily (If you are going slowly in first and you're too close to the car in front and they brake you need to react fast and you'll end up with an uncomfortable ride.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference. I do whichever is easiest and requires the least foot movement on my behalf :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending