The Student Room Group

Caring for a family member while doing access course.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing an access course while caring for a family member.

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months ago, (long story short) we were told that it was small and the likelihood of it spreading to the lymph glands was negligible. But they were wrong, she had to have further surgery and starts chemotherapy next week. Luckily she's only having 6 treatments in total and she only needs to go in once every 3 weeks.

I spoke to my mum about what we would do about my course, and she said under no circumstances was I to withdraw as she wants to see me do well. (I didn't want to withdraw, as i've been excited about the course since November last year!)

I know being a mature student, most of us do have commitments and responsibilities younger students may not have. E.G Work, Children and caring for relatives. So I know that it's still possible for me to do well on the course and get into a good Uni.

I guess i'm just looking for some advice about coping with the workload and looking after my mother at the same time.

Sorry for the wall of text. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your mum, she will want to see you do well so if you can you should continue with the access course.

I work full time as a Physio Assistant in a hospital, I raise my small son alone and I fit in my access course. It is difficult at times, sometimes I don't feel like studying when Iv'e had a busy day and my son has been a pain but I know the end goal is going to be worth it.

I study distance learning so I can choose my hours and fit it around my commitments. The uni physiotherapy course I want a place on has great competition, in fact they only have 10 places I decided that I would aim for distinctions from my access course to put myself in a great place to get offered a place. So far I have had mainly distinctions with a few merits.
Basically, it can be done, no doubt it will be difficult at times but if you keep your goal in mind i'm sure you will do well on your course and get to uni.

x
Reply 2
Thanks for posting!

From seeing a lot of the posts here a lot of people are in a similar situation, juggling work/college/family life and my situation isn't as different as a lot of people. I know i'm in for a hard year as it is, but I am determined to do well on the course. I'm also planning to get as many distinctions as I can, even if the university I choose doesn't want a lot.

I've got my date for Enrolement, and i'm exempt from fees! - Another major stress dealt with there! (hurrah)
I'm not sure my input is going to be what you want to hear but...

Education while caring for someone with cancer is so difficult. I did A levels as a mature student 2 years ago. I had already done a foundation course, access to HE and a course through open uni ( I like learning! ) so was well used to studying and fitting things in a busy life with 2 children. Halfway through my AS levels a member of my family was diagnosed with cancer and along with 2 other family members I helped care for her. Long story short things were very difficult and would change from day to day with how well she was. Trying to attend college at the same time and care was near impossible. I didn't do to badly in my AS year but a2 year fell apart. I didn't even end up sitting the exams at the end of year 2 as things were to difficult ( she passed away the month before)

One thing I'm sure of is that given the time over again I would have quit college the day she was diagnosed. The hardest part was the roller-coaster ride you're on whilst caring for someone with cancer, I would be on my way to college and get a phone call to go home as this was a bad day and I was needed, or the doctor was on his way.

I wish you all the best what ever you choose. Feel free to pm me if you would like to chat more about it ( I don't want to put to much info on a public forum) I hope your mother does well and the treatment goes as easily as it possibly can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
@Studentgirlbex I'm really sorry about your family member passing away, your situation was rather worse than mine and thanks for the well wishes. :smile:

I've decided to go to college and make the best out of a bad situation. All the staff at the hospital we've spoken to have encouraged me to do the course as they've said to me she doesn't need a carer and to carry life on as normal.

It's just me and my mum at home, but we have a very large family network of support. Her prognosis is very good, she's got a 90% chance of a full cure - but she has to be given chemotherapy so that she can go onto herceptin.
I wish you all the best with your studies :-) I'm glad to hear your mothers prognosis is good. Good luck with it all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kelytha
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing an access course while caring for a family member.

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months ago, (long story short) we were told that it was small and the likelihood of it spreading to the lymph glands was negligible. But they were wrong, she had to have further surgery and starts chemotherapy next week. Luckily she's only having 6 treatments in total and she only needs to go in once every 3 weeks.

I spoke to my mum about what we would do about my course, and she said under no circumstances was I to withdraw as she wants to see me do well. (I didn't want to withdraw, as i've been excited about the course since November last year!)

I know being a mature student, most of us do have commitments and responsibilities younger students may not have. E.G Work, Children and caring for relatives. So I know that it's still possible for me to do well on the course and get into a good Uni.

I guess i'm just looking for some advice about coping with the workload and looking after my mother at the same time.

Sorry for the wall of text. :smile:

... this sounds exactly like my situation when I started my access course!

My Mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer about a month after I started my Access to HE course. I was working part time, and also have younger brother and sister, there was no father around.

My tutors were really nice and helpful, they allowed me to take the time off when I needed to and authorised it. I never went to an IT class, and was allowed to take the work-book home and completed the work at home.

I tended to do my reading and college work in the evenings / night time when everyone was in bed sleeping. An Access doesn't require LOADS of working at home anyway.

It is important to let your tutors know what is going on though, otherwise you'll be having absences and will, eventually, get kicked off the course.

My Mum has chemo every 3 weeks, for a couple of months. When it was chemo week I had the week off, as she was really ill those weeks.

'Caring' for your mum won't be too difficult. I used to cook my mums food etc, help her to the toilet and with bathing, getting her comfortable etc, but it didn't take up loads of my time during the day. Sometimes there would be up to 2 hours where she didn't need my 'help' so I was able to sit in the same room and read my books etc :smile:
Reply 7
My mum had her first of 6 chemo treatments yesterday and she has been fine. She feels quite weak and tired, she hasn't been sick and has only had a little nausea. Infact I signed her up to do an open university module to keep her busy as she's dead bored!

She's able to dress and cook for herself, I even had to take her car keys off her earlier because she wanted to go to the garden centre!

Touch-wood the chemo won't be too hard on her.

I will tell the college what is going on, i'm very determined to do well on the course even with everything going on at the moment.
Original post by Kelytha
My mum had her first of 6 chemo treatments yesterday and she has been fine. She feels quite weak and tired, she hasn't been sick and has only had a little nausea. Infact I signed her up to do an open university module to keep her busy as she's dead bored!

She's able to dress and cook for herself, I even had to take her car keys off her earlier because she wanted to go to the garden centre!

Touch-wood the chemo won't be too hard on her.

I will tell the college what is going on, i'm very determined to do well on the course even with everything going on at the moment.

Ah OK, maybe your Mum is having a different range of drugs in her chemo than my Mum had. Hers made her very tired, very weak and sick. She couldn't really get out of bed for the week of chemo. Although I do remember it took a few days to take effect. The more she has, the worse it gets :frown:

I am sure you'll be OK though :smile: Good Luck with Access.
Reply 9
She's having FEC-T + herceptin (when T starts)

She was a bit tired and sick last night, she slept for 12 hours. Today she's still tired, but she feels more weak and tired than sick.

Thanks for all the positive comments, it's calmed me down about the access course a lot!
(edited 10 years ago)
No idea what drugs my Dad had last year but like your mom it did not hit him too hard, except the last one. He was 75 then. Every individual is different. Good luck to you both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending