The Student Room Group

Missed my firm by 1 ums

Hey guys, my offer was for aab (a in physics, maths and a b in further maths). However I ended up with A* A B (with the B in physics) and after talking to ucl on the phone, they ended up declining me. However, they have told me if I can pick up 1 more ums mark in a priority remark they will change their decision. Is there anything else I can do to give myself a better chance of getting in?

*I applied for theoretical physics, I ended up getting the following grades. As you can see, the practical let me down :frown:
unit 2 physics-120 (its out of 120)
unit 5 physics - 108
unit 6x (practical)-16 (out of 60)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xrpred
Hey guys, my offer was for aab (a in physics, maths and a b in further maths). However I ended up with A* A B (with the B in physics) and after talking to ucl on the phone, they ended up declining me. However, they have told me if I can pick up 1 more ums mark in a priority remark they will change their decision. Is there anything else I can do to give myself a better chance of getting in?

*I applied for theoretical physics, I ended up getting the following grades. As you can see, the practical let me down :frown:
unit 2 physics-120 (its out of 120)
unit 5 physics - 108
unit 6x (practical)-16 (out of 60)

Get a priority remark. I'm sure you can dig up 1 ums somewhere.
Hope all goes well for you.
Reply 2
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
Get a priority remark. I'm sure you can dig up 1 ums somewhere.
Hope all goes well for you.

Would you say they're being harsh? I mean, I applied for theoretical physics for a reason! Me and practicals do not mix well :P. Also, how many exams should I get remarked :O All ive got so far is the fail of a practical remarked.
Original post by xrpred
Would you say they're being harsh? I mean, I applied for theoretical physics for a reason! Me and practicals do not mix well :P. Also, how many exams should I get remarked :O All ive got so far is the fail of a practical remarked.

I think they're being extremely harsh. I don't do Physics but i'm generally good with numbers and boundaries. Are both of the exams likely to fluctuate and can the practical go up?
Reply 4
I think they're being extremely harsh. I don't do Physics but i'm generally good with numbers and boundaries. Are both of the exams likely to fluctuate and can the practical go up?

Well, the other exams are so high im scared to mess with them, as dropping one mark in that could lose me 2-3 ums points, whereas an + or - mark in the practical would only be 1 ums point.

*what I mean by this, is that as you get closer to the cap, 1 mark is worth more ums points,
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xrpred

Unit 5 seems to be your best bet. Unit 2 obviously can't go up.
Original post by xrpred
Well, the other exams are so high im scared to mess with them, as dropping one mark in that could lose me 2-3 ums points, whereas an + or - mark in the practical would only be 1 ums point.

Well, it can only drop to a lower B, so I don't think you have anything to lose. If UCL have made it clear that that single ums will get you your place, I think it's worth the risk.

Do you have a good memory? Would you be able to match up the raw mark to your ums and see if you thought you performed better in the exam? That's generally what I do when I go for a remark.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Well, it can only drop to a lower B, so I don't think you have anything to lose. If UCL have made it clear that that singly ums will get you your place, I think it's worth the risk.

Do you have a good memory? Would you be able to match up the raw mark to your ums and see if you thought you performed better in the exam? That's generally what I do when I go for a remark.

As far as predictions go, i'd say my two main exams (ones out of 120) are pretty damn accurate really. I mean, I misread an entire question in unit 5, pretty amazed its so high actually. How long do these priority remarks take?
Original post by xrpred

*what I mean by this, is that as you get closer to the cap, 1 mark is worth more ums points,

I'm aware of that. But if your mark in unit 5 were to go down, you'd need to lose around 2/3 raw marks to possibly miss out on your B. I don't think they can be that harsh. I'm guessing physics involves numerical calculations and some theory based questions.
In my honest opinion, I feel the risk is justified. The earlier you send off that remark, the better.
Original post by xrpred
As far as predictions go, i'd say my two main exams (ones out of 120) are pretty damn accurate really. I mean, I misread an entire question in unit 5, pretty amazed its so high actually. How long do these priority remarks take?

I'm not sure, it's available on the respective exam board's website. But, it's obviously faster than a normal remark. I had a normal remark last year and it took 4 days.
You could get the remark status the next day. I suggest you pay for that remark and get your school to submit it as soon as possible.

Fingers crossed for you, I hope you get in! :smile:
Reply 10
I'm not sure, it's available on the respective exam board's website. But, it's obviously faster than a normal remark. I had a normal remark last year and it took 4 days.
You could get the remark status the next day. I suggest you pay for that remark and get your school to submit it as soon as possible.

Fingers crossed for you, I hope you get in! :smile:

Already paid for the remark in unit 6x :smile: just deciding what next step to take, I reckon ill wait until I get the mark back, as I dont wanna end up with a +1 -1 thing going on. I'd never forgive myself! haha
Reply 11
sorry if im not making much sense! Its sooo late (early..) and im just starting to sober up from my 2 bottles of wine....oh results day I love you
Original post by xrpred
sorry if im not making much sense! Its sooo late (early..) and im just starting to sober up from my 2 bottles of wine....oh results day I love you

That's fine. I slept after I got back so i'm fairly alert.

With regards to your previous post, i'd wait for your practical remark and if there's no luck. I'd remark the unit 5 paper.

Let me know how you get on.
Reply 13
That's fine. I slept after I got back so i'm fairly alert.

With regards to your previous post, i'd wait for your practical remark and if there's no luck. I'd remark the unit 5 paper.

Let me know how you get on.

Thank you for the help at this ungodly hour :smile: I shall update this as soon as I know. If I dont get in, I will stand outside UCL for a good few days dressed as a giant 1 :<
Original post by xrpred
Thank you for the help at this ungodly hour :smile: I shall update this as soon as I know. If I dont get in, I will stand outside UCL for a good few days dressed as a giant 1 :<

AHA. :tongue:

I look forward to it.
Reply 15
Got the remark back on my birthday :smile: Got an A! Going to UCL :biggrin:!
Original post by xrpred

Congrats!! UCL you be meanies!
Reply 17
Original post by xrpred

Sorry to butt in, but as this thread has a situation similar to my current situation, just wanted to say congratulations :biggrin: My firm rejected me 'cos I missed my offer by 3 ums, waiting for a remark to try and get 2 raw marks...you must be so elated :') Happy birthday too, btw! Must've made a great present.
Reply 18
Original post by Sannn
Sorry to butt in, but as this thread has a situation similar to my current situation, just wanted to say congratulations :biggrin: My firm rejected me 'cos I missed my offer by 3 ums, waiting for a remark to try and get 2 raw marks...you must be so elated :') Happy birthday too, btw! Must've made a great present.

Goodluck with whats going on with you, if it doesnt come back try to think of any it went wrong and try to get our school to file for special consideration. it was a great present, im still drunk.......aka, I got it yesterday!
Reply 19
Original post by xrpred
Goodluck with whats going on with you, if it doesnt come back try to think of any it went wrong and try to get our school to file for special consideration. it was a great present, im still drunk.......aka, I got it yesterday!

Ah okay...well, 'grats anyway - hope I can report back with just as positive news...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending