The Student Room Group

Gap year loneliness

I'm taking a gap year to apply to do teaching as I didn't get the grades at AS to apply then. I'm worried that i'm going to be lonely and that all my friends will be away having the time of their lives and will have completely forgotten about me. I'll be filling my time with volunteering and hopefully some paid work but i'm worried that I'm going to feel really lonely for a whole year. Just wondered whether anyone had any advice on how not to feel like this?
Original post by flower124
I'm taking a gap year to apply to do teaching as I didn't get the grades at AS to apply then. I'm worried that i'm going to be lonely and that all my friends will be away having the time of their lives and will have completely forgotten about me. I'll be filling my time with volunteering and hopefully some paid work but i'm worried that I'm going to feel really lonely for a whole year. Just wondered whether anyone had any advice on how not to feel like this?

If they are good friends don't worry they will not forget about you, even if you're scared they will! It is hard to keep friends and YOU will have to put in the effort, and also get used to seeing them much less than you used to. Don't just expect them to invite you to things, you have to be proactive and do that yourself. Maybe every holiday/when they're back from uni organise a little party or a gathering. You could also get the train and stay with them for a weekend or visit them for a day? Also with Twitter/Facebook/email it is so easy to send them messages to keep in touch. You will also make new friends through volunteering and if you end up working. I know how you're feeling right now. I'm starting a new Sixth Form and leaving all my friends behind, so I will have to get used to seeing them much less. However, I'm determined to make a huge effort and make sure that we meet up during the holidays- they are amazing friends and I'm not going to lose them! Finally, even if you do end up feeling lonely, please remember that it is only going to be a year, and you are going to meet loads of new people on your teaching course. I bet the year will fly by! Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest