The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Degree By Examination - Is this a scam?

I've been reading about a method of gaining a degree by paying to sit your exams at a redbrick uni and transferring the credit into a degree with an online uni like the OU. People are saying that this is a cheaper and much faster way of gaining a degree. One person claims to have gained a degree in a year by this method.

Is this really possible or is this just a scam? Does anyone have any experience?
Reply 1
Original post by Tigris_Panthera
I've been reading about a method of gaining a degree by paying to sit your exams at a redbrick uni and transferring the credit into a degree with an online uni like the OU. People are saying that this is a cheaper and much faster way of gaining a degree. One person claims to have gained a degree in a year by this method.

Is this really possible or is this just a scam? Does anyone have any experience?

What do you mean by 'paying to sit your exams at a red brick'?' Every student is paying to sit exams after periods of study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Instead of taking classes you find the material you want to study online. You don't attend a uni, you study in your own time. You don't pay for classes, you source your own learning material. Then you pay to sit an exam at the same time as a universities' students are sitting it. The unversity grade your exam and you gain credits. Then, when you have enough credits you apply for an open degree and ask to transfer the credit over.

What i like about this idea is it seems less expensive than full time study and since you are dictating your own learning schedule then there is a chance of gaining a degree faster. I think it does sound like a lot of work though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
sounds like self-study gcse or alevel, never heard it done with degrees.
Reply 4
Yes, University of London International Programmes operate like this for most of their degrees. I think they are very respected, but I suspect not a lot of IP students get good grades.
Reply 5
Original post by llys
Yes, University of London International Programmes operate like this for most of their degrees. I think they are very respected, but I suspect not a lot of IP students get good grades.

from what he says you aren't associated with any uni when taking exams but afterwards 'transfer' credits to the OU, not UoL at all as you pay for the degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Tigris_Panthera

Although it's possible to transfer credit from other institutions into an OU degree, you can't get credit transfer at Level 3 - so it's definitely not possible to do anything like this without actually doing at least 120 credits at Level 3 with the OU.
Original post by Persipan
Although it's possible to transfer credit from other institutions into an OU degree, you can't get credit transfer at Level 3 - so it's definitely not possible to do anything like this without actually doing at least 120 credits at Level 3 with the OU.

Huge help, thanks! So getting the whole degree this way would not be possible.

I'm not sure how i'll fare, for one thing i still need to investigate what subjects i could study that base their credits on end of module exams only, but i think i would like to give this a try. If nothing else i think it would be good to get back into study. I agree that it will be challenging to get decent grades, and it will be difficult not to let real life get in the way of studying, especially when there are no deadlines and no-one pushing you. Still, i'm looking for a way of getting back into formal education and this may be a good thing to try.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dg2009
from what he says you aren't associated with any uni when taking exams but afterwards 'transfer' credits to the OU, not UoL at all as you pay for the degree.

Ah OK I see. TBH I have never seen an example of that (bold in particular).
Reply 9
I have never heard of this and I don't see how it would work - for many modules at brick universities, the final module result would be split between coursework/assignments and an exam, so if you're only doing the exam then you still wouldn't have enough to pass most modules...

Quick Reply

Latest