The Student Room Group

Will I get funding if I transfer?

I was wondering if I get funding from student finance if I transfer?

However, I have a slightly unique situation.

I have completed one year of study and dropped out as I didn't like it.

I am currently getting funding for a four year course, but it has a foundation year and thats what makes it a 4yr course as opposed to a masters (MEng for example).

So I was wondering if I transferred onto first year of a three year course, would I get funding? After all I am meant to get funding for a 4 year degree and by transferring I'll still be studying for the same length of time, but at a different university.

Nutshell:

Will I get funding if I transfer from a 4yr integrated foundation year degree onto year 1 of a 3year degree, keeping the total number of years at 4. (Keep in mind I have already finished one year of a course and dropped out).

Also,

If the foundation year goes well then I'll not need to transfer universities. However, if I get the grades etc that I need, I'll still need to internally transfer onto another degree programme post-year0. I'm worried that despite the fact that I will be transferring internally and staying at the same university, because the course title changes I will still be seen as a student who has switched my degree as opposed to a student who has progressed from the foundation year. The course title will be changing and I imagine it will change from a BEng Engineering Foundation 4yrs to a BEng Civil Engineering 3yrs. Because there is no course called BEng Civil Engineering 4yrs. I had to apply for a generic engineering foundation.
your best bet is to ring SF and ask them yourself
Reply 2
I'm in the same boat.

Initially I was in a creative course and since I had no natural talent in art or creative-based studies I didn't see myself doing too well in the next 3 years so I changed course.

Like you I finished the first year, some could say it was time wasted (didn't go to exams and barely did the coursework), but I would say I know what to expect from it this time round.

My student finance still stands, but since I took a year already, it might mean that I wouldn't be able to take the placement year to get work experience.

I'll wait and see what reply you got which might prove me wrong in the end.
Reply 3
Original post by nmr1991
I'm in the same boat.
Initially I was in a creative course and since I had no natural talent in art or creative-based studies I didn't see myself doing too well in the next 3 years so I changed course.
Like you I finished the first year, some could say it was time wasted (didn't go to exams and barely did the coursework), but I would say I know what to expect from it this time round.
My student finance still stands, but since I took a year already, it might mean that I wouldn't be able to take the placement year to get work experience.

I've heard of people switching from BEng/BSc degrees to MEng/MSc undergraduate degrees before, as far as I know it is a real pain to get it sorted with student finance but is possible, however that may be for those without the extra year which unfortunately excludes us.

Isn't the fees for placement quite low? I know it will still be hard to pay like £2000 out of your own pocket, but I think you can pay it off each month maybe? Not really 100% sure though. If so you could do that if the placement is paid. If not I guess you could just settle for summer and winter work experience where you can get it, not the same, but still better than nothing I guess.

I'll email my uni tomorrow and ring SF also and see what they have to say and I'll update if I haven't heard back on this from the SF person.
Reply 4
Original post by nmr1991
I'm in the same boat.

So I said I'd let you know what they say, I rang them twice and got the same answer both times, though the second time the girl said I would have to pay for the year after the foundation year (if I transferred as opposed to staying on the BSc foundation route) out of my own pocket. However when I told her that the previous girl said otherwise, she went and checked and she gave me the same answer as the first girl.

In my case, which is slightly different to yours, in the event that I do transfer onto a BSc 3yr programme, I need to get the university to write to SF next year and tell them that the BSc degree I transferred onto following the foundation year is part of a linked progression route and that the university would not have allowed me to enter the first year of that BSc without doing the year 0 BSc foundation first.

In a nutshell I have to get my uni to tell SF that the degree I transfer to is an integral part of the 4yr foundation even though I will technically be starting from first year in a 3yr BSc.

In your case, it will be hard to explain a placement year as an integral part of the degree. In other words you can't say you need the placement to progress onto the next year or anything like that. However SF may treat placements differently, I know that they don't cost as much for a start. You'll be better ringing them and asking, maybe ring a couple of times and speak to different people to make sure the answer you get matches.

You still get the maintenance loan for years you don't get SF tuition/grant funding, plus I think you'll get a greater loan as you don't get the grant that year, so you can always pay for the tuition fees for the placement year out of the maintenance loan and hope you get a paid placement I guess.

In any case, ring and ask them, because my situation is slightly different to yours. Good luck and hopefully it works out, I know the feeling of wondering where your tuition fees are going to coming from, and it is not a nice feeling...
Reply 5
I don't mind if I can't get the placement year for financial reasons, for my course it's completely optional and i'd make my own choice by year 2 whether or not that I'd really want the placement year. Only reason I wanted it is because I don't have any experience, and completing the degree without any experience will make it harder to find a job out of it, even if I do manage to get a first class degree.
Reply 6
Original post by nmr1991
I don't mind if I can't get the placement year for financial reasons, for my course it's completely optional and i'd make my own choice by year 2 whether or not that I'd really want the placement year. Only reason I wanted it is because I don't have any experience, and completing the degree without any experience will make it harder to find a job out of it, even if I do manage to get a first class degree.

what degree are you doing?
Reply 7
software engineering / computer science
Reply 8
Original post by nmr1991
software engineering / computer science

Is that a joint degree or have you just not made up your mind as to which you want to do?

I know quite a few people doing computing related courses and most don't seem to find it particularly hard to get jobs provided they didn't mess around the entire time they were at uni.

Work experience isn't exactly the most important thing asides the degree itself. What you do in your spare time can be just important.

Check the societies that your university has, anything along the lines of computing, electronics or if there is any business enterprise related competitions you can get a group together and enter (you can design like an app or something electronic) things like these can help demonstrate who you are motivated, reliable and competent in what you do, it also shows you have an interest in what you are doing if you do it outside of study, this is actually something that work experience doesn't show employers.

Maybe the computer science/engineering department has a school competition or enters students for regional or national competitions.

Even if there is a limited choice of what I mentioned above, you can simply get an authoritative role in one of the non-computing related societies or sports teams and design a website for the club or an app, something like that.

There are loads of things you can do to make up for a lack of experience. Plus, you can always look for temporary placement during the summer break.

What uni are you going to?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I found out a few interesting things about funding transfers and repeating years.

(Repeating a year) Quoted from NUS website:

What am I entitled to?

The funding you can get if you need to repeat a year depends on where you get your funding:

England, Wales and Northern Ireland: if you get your funding from Student Finance England, Wales or NI, you usually get support for the length of your course plus one extra year (or the part-time equivalent) should you need it. So if you need to repeat a year of your course (or part of a year) you get support as normal for that time. However, if you need to repeat any further years, you only get support if you can prove to your funding provider (eg Student Finance England) that compelling personal reasons, such as illness or caring responsibilities, caused you to repeat. If you can’t do this, you should still be entitled to a loan for living costs for the repeat year, plus any relevant supplementary grants.

And one for transferring:

What am I entitled to?

Once you’ve started a course you may decide to transfer to a different one because of personal or educational reasons. When you do this you should still be entitled to funding when you change to the new course, but it depends on who provides your funding. If you get your funding from:

Student Finance England, you should still be entitled to funding (eg for full-time students, a loan for tuition fees and a grant for living costs), but the amounts you get may be reassessed. However, your maintenance loan (if you get one) isn’t affected. The university or college you’re transferring to must consent to your transfer by notifying Student Finance England.
Original post by bestofyou
I was wondering if I get funding from student finance if I transfer?

However, I have a slightly unique situation.

I have completed one year of study and dropped out as I didn't like it.

I am currently getting funding for a four year course, but it has a foundation year and thats what makes it a 4yr course as opposed to a masters (MEng for example).

So I was wondering if I transferred onto first year of a three year course, would I get funding? After all I am meant to get funding for a 4 year degree and by transferring I'll still be studying for the same length of time, but at a different university.

Nutshell:

Will I get funding if I transfer from a 4yr integrated foundation year degree onto year 1 of a 3year degree, keeping the total number of years at 4. (Keep in mind I have already finished one year of a course and dropped out).

Also,

If the foundation year goes well then I'll not need to transfer universities. However, if I get the grades etc that I need, I'll still need to internally transfer onto another degree programme post-year0. I'm worried that despite the fact that I will be transferring internally and staying at the same university, because the course title changes I will still be seen as a student who has switched my degree as opposed to a student who has progressed from the foundation year. The course title will be changing and I imagine it will change from a BEng Engineering Foundation 4yrs to a BEng Civil Engineering 3yrs. Because there is no course called BEng Civil Engineering 4yrs. I had to apply for a generic engineering foundation.

The rule is length of course + 1 - previous study...

You studied 1 year but didn't like it so left.

The rest isn't clear in your OP so I will give figures for what I can see...

You completed 1 year elsewhere but didn't like it so dropped out. You are going to start your new 4 year course in Sept with integrated foundation year, and then transfer to year 1 of a 3 year degree this would be

NEW COURSE 3 YEARS + 1 GIFT YEAR - 1 PREVIOUS YEAR YOU DROPPED OUT - FOUNDATION YEAR = 2 YEARS FUNDING LEFT.

You would receive maintenance loan only for year 1.
Reply 11
Original post by Knalchemist
The rule is length of course + 1 - previous study...
You studied 1 year but didn't like it so left.
The rest isn't clear in your OP so I will give figures for what I can see...
You completed 1 year elsewhere but didn't like it so dropped out. You are going to start your new 4 year course in Sept with integrated foundation year, and then transfer to year 1 of a 3 year degree this would be
NEW COURSE 3 YEARS + 1 GIFT YEAR - 1 PREVIOUS YEAR YOU DROPPED OUT - FOUNDATION YEAR = 2 YEARS FUNDING LEFT.
You would receive maintenance loan only for year 1.

I contacted student finance and they told me the same, that I'd have to pay for the first year of the 3yr course myself. However, the person then went and double checked, they said that as long as the university writes to SF and explains that I would not have been admitted entry to the 3yr course without the foundation before hand, that the foundation was an integral part of the whole degree making a total for 4years altogether then I will get the funding for all four years.

Though I might get them to tell me that in writing.
From what am aware as long as it's EXACTLY the same course in terms of title you will get funding if you transfer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending