The Student Room Group

Pros/Cons of Chemical Engineering Institutes

Hi, I'm a new member so I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section!

I'm a Chemical Engineering 2014 applicant and so I'll be sending my application off in October, however I'm still quite lost as to where I'd like to apply!

I was just wondering whether any current students have any useful information on the Chemical Engineering departments at any university i.e. pros/cons :smile:

I'm considering applying to Bath, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham but I've not yet visited them all, and I don't want to make a decision I will regret. I'm still open to applying to any other universities :smile:

I'd appreciate any advice/ information you may have -thank you! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by Helmet Diver

I'm a Chemical Engineering 2014 applicant and so I'll be sending my application off in October, however I'm still quite lost as to where I'd like to apply!

I was just wondering whether any current students have any useful information on the Chemical Engineering departments at any university i.e. pros/cons :smile:

I'm considering applying to Bath, Manchester, Sheffield and Birmingham but I've not yet visited them all, and I don't want to make a decision I will regret. I'm still open to applying to any other universities :smile:

Out of those I applied to Manchester and Sheffield, Manchester has great facilities and the city is great. I also really liked Sheffield, I was told sheffield have a chemical lab that once your in second year can use at your on leisure which seems pretty cool (may have misheard so can't guarantee that's the complete truth)
Reply 3
Original post by Helmet Diver

Also Manchester offer a 4 year Meng course with industrial experience so you can take a year out at a work placement while still completing the Meng in the same amount of time but you also leave with a valuable years work experience.
Original post by Tomupcraft
Also Manchester offer a 4 year Meng course with industrial experience so you can take a year out at a work placement while still completing the Meng in the same amount of time but you also leave with a valuable years work experience.

How does the Meng course work then? It's usually 3 years batchelors then an extra year for the masters so where does the extra year go? :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Davelittle
How does the Meng course work then? It's usually 3 years batchelors then an extra year for the masters so where does the extra year go? :redface:

You do some distance learning modules in your year in industry.
You do some distance learning modules in your year in industry.

Oh that's a good way to do it!

Are you at Manchester now btw?
Reply 7
Oh that's a good way to do it!

Are you at Manchester now btw?

No, they were my insurance for this year.
No, they were my insurance for this year.

So where are you at then? :smile:

Also if you don't mind me asking, what extra reading did you have for your PS and what were your results like?
Reply 9
So where are you at then? :smile:

Also if you don't mind me asking, what extra reading did you have for your PS and what were your results like?

Imperial, I honestly did no extra reading except from reading the new scientist and I never put that in my personal statement. A*A*AA
Imperial, I honestly did no extra reading except from reading the new scientist and I never put that in my personal statement. A*A*AA

Gratz! When do you start? Why imperial as well? :redface:)
Gratz! When do you start? Why imperial as well? :redface:)

28th september, I just loved Imperial, a university just full of scientists and engineers, in London with fantastic facilities, too me it cant get much better.
28th september, I just loved Imperial, a university just full of scientists and engineers, in London with fantastic facilities, too me it cant get much better.

I want to apply but I've never been to see it and I live just outside of Carlisle (very far North). Only Imperial and Cambridge are the real "prestigious" unis for Chem Eng so it kinda limits choice :/

What was your offer? I hear they're tough
I want to apply but I've never been to see it and I live just outside of Carlisle (very far North). Only Imperial and Cambridge are the real "prestigious" unis for Chem Eng so it kinda limits choice :/

What was your offer? I hear they're tough

A*AAA
A*AAA

Ah so you kept 4 to A2, maths, FM, physics and chemistry?
Ah so you kept 4 to A2, maths, FM, physics and chemistry?

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.

Ah that's encouraging because I don't have FM and am considering doing it next year!

Are you the only one from your school going to study Chem Eng?
Ah that's encouraging because I don't have FM and am considering doing it next year!

Are you the only one from your school going to study Chem Eng?

I knew of one other person that applied to study it, but I think since she has changed her course to Chemistry.
I knew of one other person that applied to study it, but I think since she has changed her course to Chemistry.

Ah ok, we'll good luck in September! Keep us all posted on how it's going. :smile:
Ah ok, we'll good luck in September! Keep us all posted on how it's going. :smile:

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest