The Student Room Group

Will this prevent me from going to uni?

Hi guys,

When at School I never took my GCSE's and ended up leaving with entry level qualification's. So I ended up doing a NVQ level 2 course in Warehousing and Storage along with essential skills and got both my level 2 in maths and English.

I then enrolled in a level 2 course in IT with my essential skills, where I ended up getting a distinction* overall and decided to go onto level 3 and got 9 distinctions in my first year.

Now I'm going into my second year of level 3 come September and plan on achieving triple distinction overall but would I still be able to apply for uni even know I don't have any GCSE's, would it prevent me from going to uni?

Thanks guys
Reply 1
Not having A-Levels is more likely to prevent you from doing so, unless you go via an access course. Some also look at your GCSE's and ask for C's in English and maths.

It depends what course and which uni you're interested in. Look at the course entry requirements on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You may not be struggle into getting into top uni's but I'm sure that there are many more than decent uni's willing to take you seeing as you have level 2 in English and Maths. Although, some IT related degrees might require Maths at grade B (which may mean taking a Maths GCSE at college) but just look at the GCSE requirements on the website and if you're really worried send an email to the admissions tutors.
Reply 3
I would be planning on studying something related with computers, which most require a GCSE in mathematics at grade C as universities no longer accept Level 2 Essential / Key Skill in Application of Number as an acceptable alternative to GCSE Maths, but will accept level 2 English as an acceptable alternative to GCSE English, does that mean I'll get in with just having a GCSE in maths plus my triple distinction BTEC in computing or would I still need 5 GCSE's?

You won't need 5 GCSEs, as no university asks for this. Some may ask for a science or a MFL though. Some may ask for a B in maths and English. Your best bet is to arrange to take maths GCSE via your college, and contact universities to see if they will accept your English level 2 qualification. If they won't, then try and arrange to take English via your college as well. Universities are perfectly happy to give offers to people with "pending" GCSE grades.

It may be worth asking your referee to explain your lack of GCSE qualifications in your reference, especially if you had some kind of extenuating circumstances at the time.

For the record having a level 3 BTEC is a perfectly acceptable alternative to A levels at most universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending