The Student Room Group

have to decide a level choices in 2 DAYS

ok. i posted a thread something like this a few days ago, but results were inconclusive. i want to do four subjects, something out of
english (A*, A*), maths (A), History (A*), biology (A*), chemistry (A*), french (A), classics (A*)
but i just dont know what. im quite scared of maths and the sciences, but i just might want to go into sciences one day, i just dont know :-( does anyone have any suggestions?
im thinking a combo of something like
bio chem maths english OR history latin english maths OR history latin english french
shrug idk

Scroll to see replies

also i know it seems kind of dumb to harass strangers on the internet for help but NOTHING ELSE IS WORKING
Reply 2
Original post by EmergencyBagels
also i know it seems kind of dumb to harass strangers on the internet for help but NOTHING ELSE IS WORKING

Do a mixture so your first option seems good that way you can branch into anything.
Reply 3
I do French and maths out of those! Languages are a very good thing to have and are highly respected at university. The sciences and maths are often considered harder, but are also highly respected and good to have, and having at least one may stop you closing off some science options at uni (though for things like medicine they often want two sciences). Maths is considerably harder at A-Level but if you're good at it then it's a good one to have. English language and history are also good, traditional subjects, and I can't say much for classics as its not something I've ever come across!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'd say Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English, because you can apply to practically any course you want at Uni with those. Without Chemistry or Biology, you begin to limit your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'd go with what I enjoy most. What did you/do you enjoy most? I'd go with history latin maths personally.
Reply 6
ok. i posted a thread something like this a few days ago, but results were inconclusive. i want to do four subjects, something out of
english (A*, A*), maths (A), History (A*), biology (A*), chemistry (A*), french (A), classics (A*)
but i just dont know what. im quite scared of maths and the sciences, but i just might want to go into sciences one day, i just dont know :-( does anyone have any suggestions?
bio chem maths english OR history latin english maths OR history latin english french
shrug idk

Hi there.
Having gone through exactly this last year I'd say definitely go for maths as the subject opens so many doors and it is a necessity for getting in to many courses, especially those science related. Regarding your other options, all seem to be very good subjects. There are no so called 'soft subjects' that universitys look down upon that you have chosen.

What are you looking to do career wise?
Original post by Willisme1
I'd say Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English, because you can apply to practically any course you want at Uni with those. Without Chemistry or Biology, you begin to limit your options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? What on earth?
thanks guys! to be honest im most worried about maths and chemistry, i dont think i have a very mathematical brain, but if i dont do them i will be limiting myself. anyways ill definitely take everything you guys have said into account
i have no idea what job i want to do, and i dont particularly like any subjects except english, this is why my decision is so hard. i think ill definitely say maths. i really enjoy classics, and was considering doing it as a 5th with bio maths chem english but i thought i would die. itd be a shame to not be able to do it :/
Last year I felt exactly like you, and in the end I picked Chemistry Maths English and French because I wanted to have the widest choice of subjects I could... If you think you want to go into science, I would say you should probably do two science subjects because the top Unis seem to prefer it.

I had no idea what I wanted to do, and I really don't remember why exactly I picked my subjects but I'm so glad I chose French because I now want to do it at uni, which wasn't really something I had considered :biggrin: ***pick French pick french*** hehehe

But good luck, I hope this helps you somehow... :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
a lot of science courses ask for at least two science subjects - obviously there are notable exceptions - however, many universities describe science subjects as maths, chemistry, biology and physics. so, as to put you in the best spot for a science career, without completely losing any other path, I'd suggest you take a least two options from the list above - don't feel pressured to necessary take three! this then leaves you with two other AS options- or three, depending if you do want to take 5 at AS -left, to choose other options which could help to leave many other degrees open. you seem passionate about english which would be great alongside science AS levels, as it shows you to be quite a well rounded student due to it's essay side.

as for maths, I share your worries as I'm taking it this september when I start college - but I'd recommend checking out this website http://www.examsolutions.net - as it shows lots of components of the A Level course, which you can practise along in the video tutorials to build your confidence/help you decide if you want to take maths!
Reply 12
shrug idk

History, English Literature, Chemistry and Maths will keep all options open for you in terms of what degree you want to do.
Reply 13
shrug idk

I like your first combination. This will keep your options open for many science courses, if you decide to go that route.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Chemistry, Biology and French!
I'm in the exact same situation! I'm signed up for Eng Lit, History, Classics, and Bio, but don't know whether I should swap a humanity for Chemistry to keep doors open should I suddenly want to go down the science route... :frown: :frown: :frown:
3 days to decide...I'm too young to decide my future! :confused:
Original post by cucaracha
I'm in the exact same situation! I'm signed up for Eng Lit, History, Classics, and Bio, but don't know whether I should swap a humanity for Chemistry to keep doors open should I suddenly want to go down the science route... :frown: :frown: :frown:
3 days to decide...I'm too young to decide my future! :confused:

No. Don't swap, don't ever swap a subject you enjoy doing just because you want a more viable selection, everyone I've known who has done that has ended up with ****ty results. Believe me.

You have a very good selection of subjects, and I suggest you keep them. If you haven't already thought about going down the 'science route' then you probably shouldn't - I mean, you DID do the sciences at GCSE, right? Why would you change your mind a year into A Level?

Think of it this way - A Levels actually train you in your subject. After doing Biology you WILL know a pretty impressive amount about... Biology. You will become proficient in knowledge. So it's a bit like...University, isn't it?

Think of your subject choices as mini-university choices. Would you go to Uni for all of your subjects? Would you really go to Uni for a science you aren't even sure about?

But it's always up to you, in the end. I'm just giving advice from my perspective. :P
Maths, bio, chem and history/english is the best combination
Reply 18
Original post by DenchKing1832
What? What on earth?

If you look at some top science related courses at University, they often ask for one of those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hehe omg thanks you guys, i actually didnt go with any sciences which seems so dumb and illogical and against all youre advice but i still really appreciated it all and i just thought that if i was going into science i would be more certain of it. i dont know if my choices were right, but im enjoying them so far (english maths classics history)

Quick Reply

Latest