The Student Room Group

Joining The RAF at the age of 25, pro's and con's

Hello everyone

At the age of 25 I’m thinking of applying to join the RAF. I have not long graduated from university with a 1st class sport and exercise science degree and am looking for a new challenge. I am currently working within a local supermarket, which is nothing short of mind numbing and unfulfilling. I have done my research into the RAF and it seems to offer exactly what I am looking for in a career. I am particularly interested in the trades of mechanical and avionic engineer at the rank of airman.

With being 25 I am a little conscious on how age is seen within an application at the level of airman and how is age difference received during basic training. Does anyone have any experience of joining the RAF at a similar age? If so what were your experiences of the application process and basic training?

Thanks
I'm 23 and I start training in a couple of weeks time. The average age of people at my PRTC was actually 21 rather than 16-18. I don't think it really matters how old you are, the fact you are a graduate and may have more life experience would make me suggest you apply for an Officer/SNCO role. However if you are set on the roles you have mentioned as an airman, then go for it. I'd pop down to your local AFCO and explain you are a graduate, working in a supermarket and are interested in the roles above. You'll get an idea of each role and all the information you need to make a decision to apply.
My partner joined at the age of 25, we was both on the same prtc! The majority of them was 20+ 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get down to the careers office and ask a few questions. Keep an open mind!
Reply 4
I'm also going through the process, and I'm 27! :wink:
Reply 5
I'm waiting for my PRTC date and I'm 33 years old... never had any issue so far regarding my age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
With a degree and a few years behind you, consider applying as an officer. Have a look at what a careers office can tell you about other roles rather than aiming for the first you've seen.

The only issue you might have is being a degree-educated 26 year old SAC, and being commanded by a bunch of 22-23 year old first tourist JEngOs, or being outranked by a bunch of 18 year old Acting Pilot Officers straight from officer training. So why not take a look at officer roles?
Reply 7
First of all thank you for all of your replies. You all have definatley reasured me that age is not a factor when joining the RAF, I will also look into officer roles aswell as the ones I mentioned above. I am planning to visit my local AFCO tomorrow to get a little more info and chat about my options.

Thank you all again.
Original post by Drewski
I'm considering re-entry and I'm very nearly 28.

Age isn't the issue, it's attitude.

Or the inability to cope when there isn't a fence around you?
Original post by Lewis_C
Hello everyone

At the age of 25 I’m thinking of applying to join the RAF. I have not long graduated from university with a 1st class sport and exercise science degree and am looking for a new challenge. I am currently working within a local supermarket, which is nothing short of mind numbing and unfulfilling. I have done my research into the RAF and it seems to offer exactly what I am looking for in a career. I am particularly interested in the trades of mechanical and avionic engineer at the rank of airman.

With being 25 I am a little conscious on how age is seen within an application at the level of airman and how is age difference received during basic training. Does anyone have any experience of joining the RAF at a similar age? If so what were your experiences of the application process and basic training?

Thanks

My friend has a bachelors and masters degree and he joined the RAF as a gunner at 24 and he loves it! I'm nearly 24 and waiting for my third attempt to join, you definitely won't be the only mid-20s applicant. The average age at Sandhurst for the army is 25 (or 23, I forget exactly)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hello there!I turned 25 in January 2020 and began my process in October 2019. My medical has been put back until July. I actually think it may give you an advantage. At the interviews you will be surprised at the difference in ages. I did not feel out of place or too old at all. Noe a bit of time has passed though, I am starting to rethink my options and choices. It's a big commitment, need to make sure it's the right move to make. And not just because you find yourself in a bit of a ****ter at the moment.
Original post by JaPow
Hello there!I turned 25 in January 2020 and began my process in October 2019. My medical has been put back until July. I actually think it may give you an advantage. At the interviews you will be surprised at the difference in ages. I did not feel out of place or too old at all. Noe a bit of time has passed though, I am starting to rethink my options and choices. It's a big commitment, need to make sure it's the right move to make. And not just because you find yourself in a bit of a ****ter at the moment.

The thread is over 6 years old.

Quick Reply

Latest