The Student Room Group

Why will no one hire me?!

I'm honestly at my wits' end. This summer I have applied for over 40 part-time jobs to get me through my final year of university, but I have not been accepted by any one so far. I have had one interview at WH Smith, which went well, but I didn't get the job. Most of the time I get no reply, but sometimes they send me a rejection e-mail.

I have edited my CV numerous times to make it the best it can be. I have little experience in payed employment, apart from one job when I served refreshments in a theatre. But I have over three years volunteering at various establishments and have undergone work placements as part of my degree. I have included my work experiences on my CV along with the skills I have learnt from them, which are transferrable. I honeslty don't know where I'm going wrong. I've asked people to check my CV, all of which have said it is good. :confused:

Does anyone have any advice? All I can think of is to keep applying, but I just feel like I'm getting nowhere. I usually apply for three or more jobs every day. I feel like such a failure. :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Omg I'm in the exact same situation! I've been trying to get a job in my area for over a year now and its just not happening! I'm not doing anything wrong either! I don't have a solution but I understand how frustrating this is!
Maybe they don't think they'll get their moneys worth if your only there for a year? :frown: I always lie at Interviews and claim i'll be there for ever and ever.
Reply 3
It's comforting to hear that someone is in the same situation. It annoys me that my housemate got a job as a kitchen porter at Wetherspoons with no interview. His friend worked there so he automatically got hired? And there's people like us who try our hardest and get no where. :mad:
I am in the exact same position! It's so frustrating :sigh: I've been told volunteering will put you in a more preferable position as you gain experience, but (selfishly) I'd rather want a job to earn money... volunteering could always be an option for you though.
Reply 5
I know volunteering is good. I have over three years work experience of volunteering. I have volunteered in Sue Ryder shops as well as in the library.
Original post by tulipfleur
I'm honestly at my wits' end. This summer I have applied for over 40 part-time jobs to get me through my final year of university, but I have not been accepted by any one so far. I have had one interview at WH Smith, which went well, but I didn't get the job. Most of the time I get no reply, but sometimes they send me a rejection e-mail.

I have edited my CV numerous times to make it the best it can be. I have little experience in payed employment, apart from one job when I served refreshments in a theatre. But I have over three years volunteering at various establishments and have undergone work placements as part of my degree. I have included my work experiences on my CV along with the skills I have learnt from them, which are transferrable. I honeslty don't know where I'm going wrong. I've asked people to check my CV, all of which have said it is good. :confused:

Does anyone have any advice? All I can think of is to keep applying, but I just feel like I'm getting nowhere. I usually apply for three or more jobs every day. I feel like such a failure. :frown:

Which country?
Reply 7
It's comforting to hear that someone is in the same situation. It annoys me that my housemate got a job as a kitchen porter at Wetherspoons with no interview. His friend worked there so he automatically got hired? And there's people like us who try our hardest and get no where. :mad:

I'd been trying to get a job in my local New Look for a year. Handing in CV's every month and asking nearly every week for openings. A couple of weeks ago a girl from my school got hired because she knew someone who worked in there. Still so pissed. :mad:
If you have a bit of spare cash look into getting a qualification that might make you a more employable candidate. Volunteer, or look for organisations and work experience!
Make sure your CV has recent employments/volunteering/hobbies, it can shows employers that you are putting your self out there. Even if it's something simple like photography. Create a show-real, place the link on the CV etc.
Keep messing around with your CV it might not be as good as you think. Go through connections and get your CV looked at.
Reply 9
I refuse to volunteer.

You're better off starting your own business. It's more flexible, better paid, looks better on a CV and you get to sink or swim on your own two feet.
Reply 10
economist2 I'm in the UK.

sufferin succotash, as I mentioned I have made myself employable (or so I thought) by volunteering and taking part in other work experiences. I am a trainee teacher so have worked at numerous schools and educational settings.

KRose_ I can't believe how people get jobs just by knowing someone who works there. It's not fair on other candidates who may be better in the job role but don't even get their CV looked at.
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
I refuse to volunteer.

You're better off starting your own business. It's more flexible, better paid, looks better on a CV and you get to sink or swim on your own two feet.

Not everyone can afford to start a business, and its risky.
KRose_ I can't believe how people get jobs just by knowing someone who works there.

Like 70% of them?
Original post by economist2
Not everyone can afford to start a business, and its risky.

Anybody can afford to start a business.

And it's not risky if you Form as a Limited Company.

I started my business using my overdraft - but if you can guarantee yourself an immediate profit (which you can if you're careful), it ends up effectively requiring nothing to set up.
Reply 14

I applied for well over 50 as well this summer. Luckily I was offered a job in the end, but they did take 2 months to get back to me. I would see just keep trying. The fact your WH Smith interview went well shows you do well in the interview meaning all you need is a chance to get to that point in the future to really impress.

There will probably be vacancies opening up at the moment because of people leaving for university, so maybe you could pop into shops and get lucky.

Otherwise have you considered working for an events company, lots of them advertise on E4S. They're flexible, specifically aimed at students and the pay tends to be pretty good.
Reply 15
I just think it's bad how much effort and time people put into the application process, online questionnaires, editing CVs, perfecting cover letters and it gets sent away to the manager but then someone's already told the manager there's someone who wants to work there so they get the job automatically and the other candidates don't even get a look at. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if I could get a job just by someone mentioning me to their manager, but it just doesn't seem right. What if all the people who've actually applied would be better at the job?
Reply 16
Alex360 I'll have a look on E4S, thank you. :smile:
Reply 17

KRose_ I can't believe how people get jobs just by knowing someone who works there. It's not fair on other candidates who may be better in the job role but don't even get their CV looked at.

In fairness, it's the most rational method.

If you were to open a newsagent and you wanted staff for a relatively mundane role where the only real prerequisites were to be punctual, hard-working and trustworthy - would you employ a complete stranger, or someone you had some kind of relationship with - given that it's likely that most candidates will meet your expectations?

Let's say you are looking for a baby sitter.

Stranger, or friend of a friend?

Is that fair on the strangers?
Reply 18

I'd hire you, but sadly I have no money to provide a good wage :colone:
Reply 19
I understand your point completely, and for some roles (such as babysitting) it probably is better to hire people you know and trust, but for larger companies like WH Smith, Wetherspoons, Staples, Sainsburys or something of the sort, would the case be the same? It seems a little different. These are huge business, not just the local corner shop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending