The Student Room Group

A2 Geography can it be self taught ?

:colondollar::colone:

Scroll to see replies

Most things can be self taught, academia is basically just teaching you how to teach yourself in your chosen vocation. What lines of enquiry you should follow for up to date info, how to discern good info from bad and how to test information you are unsure about etc.
Reply 2
It is just that out of my class of three people i am the only one who passed AS with a grade B and due to no one else doing A2 Geography from september and the fact that many of the uni's that i want to go as well as several apprenticeship scheme's do accept re-takes and my school is recleuant to teach A2 Geography as my teacher would olny be teaching myself this would mean i would have to teach myself.
Reply 3
I would say yes. You have a lot of reading to do though but if you choose to read in areas of interest it won't be tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luketreherne

Yes I self taught geography at A level and got an A (this was before A*) so it is perfectly possible, you just have to be motivated! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lazuliblue
Yes I self taught geography at A level and got an A (this was before A*) so it is perfectly possible, you just have to be motivated! :smile:

The option of being self-taught is because the my fellow classmates failed AS and there simply isn't the demand nor time to teach AS retake and A2 to my year at the same time. Also i want to get into hopefully an RG university or Apprenticeship , through research i know doing an resit is frowned upon and reduces my chance of getting in.
Reply 6
The option of being self-taught is because the my fellow classmates failed AS and there simply isn't the demand nor time to teach AS retake and A2 to my year at the same time. Also i want to get into hopefully an RG university or Apprenticeship , through research i know doing an resit is frowned upon and reduces my chance of getting in.

Uh. Maybe for the top, top universities yes; resitting may be frowned upon but it hasn't stopped me from getting university offers and hasn't stopped me from going - I'm going in two weeks actually. Just so you know too; I've sat certain exams three times now and only on the third attempt did I actually come out with a grade that I was happy with. Some universities will admire the fact you've not given up :yy:
(edited 10 years ago)

I self taught myself geo and got an A*! I am giving tuition and can guarantee you the same.
Reply 8
Original post by Green Bubblegum
I self taught myself geo and got an A*! I am giving tuition and can guarantee you the same.

How much time did you have to put in and when did you start doing exam papers ?
Reply 9
What about the field trips ? My daughter has been told she has to do 3 at A2 level , she is AQA exam board .
(edited 10 years ago)
How much time did you have to put in and when did you start doing exam papers ?

Not much, to be honest!:smile: I done exam papers roughly three weeks before the exam.
Original post by Deyesy
Uh. Maybe for the top, top universities yes; resitting may be frowned upon but it hasn't stopped me from getting university offers and hasn't stopped me from going - I'm going in two week actually. Just so you know too; I've sat certain exams three times now and only on the third attempt did I actually come out with a grade that I was happy with. Some universities will admire the fact you've not given up :yy:

What would retaking AS this year and then taking A2 from September 2014 and going to uni through deffered entry have on my chance's of getting into uni
Reply 12
Not much, to be honest!:smile: I done exam papers roughly three weeks before the exam.

what exam board was this ? and what online resources did you use ? thanks .
Sorry OP not hijacking thread just trying to get lots of info for my daughter .
Original post by Alix-21

I am with Edexcel for my A-level geography
Reply 14
What would retaking AS this year and then taking A2 from September 2014 and going to uni through deffered entry have on my chance's of getting into uni

Entirely depends on your subject choice and your university choice.
Original post by Alix-21

AQA Geography. I really just used the textbook.:smile:

Should i retake AS only because i would receive more support and could increase my grade , however if i wanted to receive a full Geography A-level i would need to stay behind a year (year 14) because they refuse for me to retake AS and study A2 at the same study. This is most likely due to the removal of january exam's

What would you do ?
Should i retake AS only because i would receive more support and could increase my grade , however if i wanted to receive a full Geography A-level i would need to stay behind a year (year 14) because they refuse for me to retake AS and study A2 at the same study. This is most likely due to the removal of january exam's

What would you do ?

Well, it depends on what you got in AS and what you need. You could study AS and A2 as an external candidate with another school.

I had the same problem as you as Bio was clashing with Geography but I sat A2 at another school as a private candidate.
Well, it depends on what you got in AS and what you need. You could study AS and A2 as an external candidate with another school.

I had the same problem as you as Bio was clashing with Geography but I sat A2 at another school as a private candidate.

I got a Grade B (three marks of an grade A). I wished i had chosen what i wanted to do earlier i would of chosen Biology , as i actually really enjoyed Biology at GCSE.
Reply 19
Original post by Alix-21
What about the field trips ? My daughter has been told she has to do 3 at A2 level , she is AQA exam board .

3 field trips? Bit excessive but yes on AQA you would need one, though strictly speaking you could fabricate going on one but then he'd need to talk to someone about how to convincingly do that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending