The Student Room Group

Double Degree or Double Major help?

Hello,

I am an EU student, completing my final year at a bilingual secondary school. I'd like to study in England for my BA but I can't find a university that would be suitable for me. Perhaps you guys can help me.

Preferably it should be in the London area but definitely in England. I'd like to study International Relations and/with Psychology but I cannot really find good unis that offer it.

The degree would be a Double Degree if I am right? But I'm still familiarizing myself with the uk system so I don't really now the difference between a
1.double degree
2.double major
3.Joint honours
4.Double Honours
5.Flexible Combined Honours
6.Combined Honours

Can someone please explain it? What appeares on my degree? Also what is the reputation of these degrees? I read about the flexible combined honours to be very selective but I am not sure if companies like these ones or if they prefer a single degree.

I'm sorry for so many questions but all websites I found so far explain it in a different way so maybe somebody who has some experience with it can help!

Thanks in advance!!!
Original post by 21styoungster
Hello,

I am an EU student, completing my final year at a bilingual secondary school. I'd like to study in England for my BA but I can't find a university that would be suitable for me. Perhaps you guys can help me.

Preferably it should be in the London area but definitely in England. I'd like to study International Relations and/with Psychology but I cannot really find good unis that offer it.

The degree would be a Double Degree if I am right? But I'm still familiarizing myself with the uk system so I don't really now the difference between a
1.double degree
2.double major
3.Joint honours
4.Double Honours
5.Flexible Combined Honours
6.Combined Honours

Can someone please explain it? What appeares on my degree? Also what is the reputation of these degrees? I read about the flexible combined honours to be very selective but I am not sure if companies like these ones or if they prefer a single degree.

I'm sorry for so many questions but all websites I found so far explain it in a different way so maybe somebody who has some experience with it can help!

Thanks in advance!!!

You're right - all this can be very confusing for someone who is new to the UK system.

Basically, the British system allows you to graduate with a Single or a Joint Honours. A single honours would be a BA in just one subject - English or Law or Maths or Media Studies or whatever. A Joint Honours is two (or more) subjects; so maybe French and German, or Maths and Business, etc etc.

Studying and graduating in more than one subject is becoming more and more popular, and it is my understanding that universities are responding to that by introducing more flexibility into their offers.

So now there are universities who offer "Flexible Combined Honours" or "Combined Honours". These are all different names for the same idea: that you can choose a variety of subjects to study. Each university offers a different set of combinations, so you'll have to look carefully at each prospectus or website to see exactly what those combinations are.

Hope this helps!
Original post by 21styoungster

By the way, I had a look on the UCAS site. I searched for courses, putting as the subject "psychology international relations". Only four unis came up: St Andrews, Kingston, Plymouth, and Liverpool Hope (none of which are very near London, really). So you'd probably be advised to look a little wider at your choices. For example, International Relations and Sociology brings up 10 universities: Psychology and History, 17 universities. Happy hunting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending