The Student Room Group

Serious question, do I stand a chance of rejection with 4 As?

I'm applying to top unis like Oxford and Imperial, and I can't help but think almost everyone applying has grades just like mine, meaning I stand a high chance of rejection as I don't think my PS is outstanding.
Reply 1
Depends on the course. If it's engineering or something then it's so competitive and you do stand more a chance of rejection than offer.
It's all on the interview anyway
Reply 3
Original post by TSR561
I'm applying to top unis like Oxford and Imperial, and I can't help but think almost everyone applying has grades just like mine, meaning I stand a high chance of rejection as I don't think my PS is outstanding.

Everyone stands a chance at rejection at those top universities. There will always be people with better grades applying, but there will always be worse people :biggrin:
You are in with a good shot, and if you show true dedication and passion for your course your chances increase again. If you're worried about your PS, do your best to fix it up before the deadline, and look at example personal statements on this site.
Basically- what makes you stand out? What makes you better than the next guy with AAAA? What have you done that's gone beyond other people?
Your grades give you a good shot, but grades alone won't get you in.

What course are you going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR561

There's no avoiding the painful truth: UK university applications are highly competitive, at every level. Even if you have fantastic grades: if you are applying for the universities that have the highest entry requirements, then you are indeed "up against" a lot of other young people, whose grades are all equally fantastic, or better.

That is why all the TSR advice is always to spread your 5 options amongst universities with differing entry requirements: 2 "tip-top hard-to-get-into" choices, 2 "I-really-should-be-able-to-manage-it" choices, and 1 "it-all-goes-horribly-wrong-but-I-still-liked-this-uni" choice.

Applying to only the very very very highest level is a gamble.
All of the advice from BerlinFF is spot on as usual.

You just have to remember that the vast majority of applicants to Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE etc either wont get an Offer at all and of those tha do, many wont get the grades required in August.

Yes, its fine to have that as a dream, but for most people it will be unobtainable, and you should ever regard this eventuality as 'a failure' - you'll have a solid University education at another Uni and probably a wonderfully happy and fulfilled life. Keep this all firmly in perspective, and have dreams about some other Unis too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending