The Student Room Group

What do you do if your card stops working in a shop?

Today I went to a shop to buy a few things. A sandwich and a packet of crisps to be precise. I was going to pay by debit card and didn't have cash on me. My card didn't work when I went to pay. The shopkeeper tried several times and eventually told me I couldn't have the items. Luckily there was a cash machine nearby so I went to that, went back to the shop and bought the items.

I'm scared this will happen when I do a big shopping trip and I get to the front of the queue for paying, the checkout assistant swipes all the items, I pack all my bags and suddenly my card doesn't work. What do I do if my card doesn't work at a time like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bassetts
Today I went to a shop to buy a few things. A sandwich and a packet of crisps to be precise. I was going to pay by debit card and didn't have cash on me. My card didn't work when I went to pay. The shopkeeper tried several times and eventually told me I couldn't have the items. Luckily there was a cash machine nearby so I went to that, went back to the shop and bought the items.

I'm scared this will happen when I do a big shopping trip and I get to the front of the queue for paying, the checkout assistant swipes all the items, I pack all my bags and suddenly my card doesn't work. What do I do if my card doesn't work at a time like this?

Maybe bring some backup cash?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Just ask them to keep the items behind the desk, say you'll go and get cash, get cash then return to buy the items.
Reply 3
Flap about a bit going "oh gosh I'm so sorry I swear there's money in that account WHAAAT?"

This is a massive trigger of anxiety for me. I make a point of withdrawing cash and paying by that in any shop I enter (even for weekly supermarket hauls) out of fear.

Otherwise just make sure you know where the nearest cash machine is and ask them to keep your shopping behind the till as you did.
(edited 10 years ago)
used to happen to customers often when i was working. the check out person will be able to keep a hold of your stuff whilst you go to a cash machine.
Reply 5
It doesn't really matter does it. Just say "Oh my card isn't working, i'll put the items back and return later".
Do you think anyone in the supermarket actually cares about your life?
Go away with a shame:doh:
I want to know what happens when your card is declined while paying for petrol...
Reply 8
Well I'd get a different card out, I'd normally use my M2M Antares Visa Infinite which shouldn't be declined, if it is, I'll use my Standard Chartered Priority Debit card. If you're always worried about not being able to pay for anything with card, take cash with you to pay instead :smile:
Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
I want to know what happens when your card is declined while paying for petrol...

A big crane comes along and takes your car away...speaking from experience, of course. :colondollar:
Simple solution is to have a credit card. If your debit card gets refused then use the credit card instead (highly unlikely that both are refused) and then just make a payment to the card when you get a chance. This way you don't need to carry wads of cash around or look for a cash machine when you come into difficulty.
Original post by Bassetts

It might be worth going into your bank and just checking that there wasnt an underlying reason for it that can be sorted.
Also like others have said, keep some cash on you as backup.
Reply 12

You'd probably have to wait for a manager, show some form of id, leave a deposit worth the value of the fuel, then go of to get the money.
This happened to me in KFC. I forgot I had like 10 pounds of cash in me, so I said I would go to the nearest ATM and get some cash out. Then I couldn't be asked to walk all of the way back so I went to subway instead, where I found my cash and felt incredibly stupid..

but afterwards, I went to the ATM anyway to check if my card was working and it was! I don't know the problem was...
Reply 14
Original post by tehFrance
Well I'd get a different card out, I'd normally use my M2M Antares Visa Infinite which shouldn't be declined, if it is, I'll use my Standard Chartered Priority Debit card. If you're always worried about not being able to pay for anything with card, take cash with you to pay instead :smile:

Oooh, fancy:biggrin:

Happened to my dad once, he had to fill out a form and come back with payment. They had his reg number etc.
Original post by Mindbodyspirit
Simple solution is to have a credit card. If your debit card gets refused then use the credit card instead (highly unlikely that both are refused) and then just make a payment to the card when you get a chance. This way you don't need to carry wads of cash around or look for a cash machine when you come into difficulty.
Yes, it's a good idea to have a credit card as a backup. BUT do remember that if you use it, you will incur interest if you don't pay off in full by the due date. And if you don't even make the minimum payment, you will be hit with charges (usually £12 or so). Best thing to do is to set up a direct debit from your main bank account to pay it off in full each month. And keep it for emergencies only -it's very easy to run up horrible bills...
Cry.
Reply 18
I have two cards. One account is my main account now that it's a student account with most of my money in it. It didn't work in a tescos one time. Luckily the things were only cheap and my other card with a couple of hundred on it worked so it was all ok.
Reply 19
You were buying few and cheap items, maybe they have a minimum you have to spend?

If it happened to be me I'd be worried about the card and run to the nearest bank panicking...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending