The Student Room Group

Problems with new Uni Friends

OK, Please could somebody advise me on this as im VERY CONFUSED as what to think?

I started uni few weeks ago, 1st year and all and generally, the way we all are is confusing. Hard for me to explain, but obviously I have got to know people from my course and some I have spoken to and got to know a bit better than others, but so far, I only have two people from uni on facebook who I talk to outside of uni and generally there the only ones I have really got to know from the course so far.

Thing i am confused about is that last week and even earlier this week we started going over each others and watching films, playing games etc and spending breaks between lectures and all with each other but end of the week it started to change.

Key thing is that nobody is 'waiting' for each other after lectures and seminars anymore and were not sitting together either. Like I arrived early for a lecture, one of them came in and sat right at the end of the row with somebody else, so where was a VERY AWKWARD 8 seat gap between me and them and I really have started to think why didnt they come sit closer, looking at there body language at the time, he was walking towards me but since the other person sat at the end they just sat there too.

I also just casually tried to speak to them on FB today but all I see is a "seen" message where the other one does still speak to me.

I keep thinking have I done something wrong, but realistically, I cant speak to them casually across 8 seats, like I looked at em and they looked at me as I was speaking to the lecturer at the time when they walked in and really I cant chase them and rush out the lecture theatre.

Just dont know, is this normal of Uni or what? I have tried to see it from 'there side' and I really havnt done nothing to them bad, I know I can be a little bit quiet at times but thats just me still trying to get used the uni life and now I Just feel a bit isolated that I spent huge gaps between lectures in the library alone for no reason and if this continues or I dont get speaking to other people from my course this will be like it for 3 years.

I also know people want space but we used to say like if one of us was going back we would say etc and I always say in a jokey way just kick me out when you want to.

Just worried, feel left out and alone now. Really does depress you spending 4 hours not talking to nobody.

Did think about asking one of them to say go to the gym for a bit, just as a social thing as we get free access and I know one of them have gone in the past few weeks once but not sure, im also worried might end up putting on them too much?

Would love the advice on what to do next like speaking to them, even being a bit more outgoing and social would be nice as I think that time is pressing to make the friends which u will know after leaving uni.

:confused:

Thanks.
Reply 1
What course u doing? I know the feeling - I started 2 weeks ago and despite promising myself I wouldn't I drunk and made a bit of an idiot of myself. DW. About fb its a networking site, use it to network and forget the tit and tat. Concentrate on your subject.forget how close people sit to you and their body language. Even experts are clueless on how body language works. Personal experience dictates that you get out of life what you put in so keep an open mind and let things unfold. Work hard, and read random stuff play sports when you can. And don't worry about 4 friends you will make more over time.
Reply 2
Original post by dazzo_123
OK, Please could somebody advise me on this as im VERY CONFUSED as what to think?

I started uni few weeks ago, 1st year and all and generally, the way we all are is confusing. Hard for me to explain, but obviously I have got to know people from my course and some I have spoken to and got to know a bit better than others, but so far, I only have two people from uni on facebook who I talk to outside of uni and generally there the only ones I have really got to know from the course so far.

Thing i am confused about is that last week and even earlier this week we started going over each others and watching films, playing games etc and spending breaks between lectures and all with each other but end of the week it started to change.

Key thing is that nobody is 'waiting' for each other after lectures and seminars anymore and were not sitting together either. Like I arrived early for a lecture, one of them came in and sat right at the end of the row with somebody else, so where was a VERY AWKWARD 8 seat gap between me and them and I really have started to think why didnt they come sit closer, looking at there body language at the time, he was walking towards me but since the other person sat at the end they just sat there too.

I also just casually tried to speak to them on FB today but all I see is a "seen" message where the other one does still speak to me.

I keep thinking have I done something wrong, but realistically, I cant speak to them casually across 8 seats, like I looked at em and they looked at me as I was speaking to the lecturer at the time when they walked in and really I cant chase them and rush out the lecture theatre.

Just dont know, is this normal of Uni or what? I have tried to see it from 'there side' and I really havnt done nothing to them bad, I know I can be a little bit quiet at times but thats just me still trying to get used the uni life and now I Just feel a bit isolated that I spent huge gaps between lectures in the library alone for no reason and if this continues or I dont get speaking to other people from my course this will be like it for 3 years.

I also know people want space but we used to say like if one of us was going back we would say etc and I always say in a jokey way just kick me out when you want to.

Just worried, feel left out and alone now. Really does depress you spending 4 hours not talking to nobody.

Did think about asking one of them to say go to the gym for a bit, just as a social thing as we get free access and I know one of them have gone in the past few weeks once but not sure, im also worried might end up putting on them too much?

Would love the advice on what to do next like speaking to them, even being a bit more outgoing and social would be nice as I think that time is pressing to make the friends which u will know after leaving uni.

:confused:

Thanks.
I think there's two things here that are worth mentioning:
Firstly, you need to establish whether the group as a whole has broken down or if certain people in the group have decided to go to lectures without you. If the group has broken down it may just be worth confronting each person individually on how they feel about it and going from there, if you're not included anymore then either try and get back in with them (the girl sitting 8 seats down may have just felt awkward about shouting for you to sit next to her in a lecture theatre and decided to leave it as she's got company already so she's fine) or try and find some new people near your accommodation to go to lectures with - I'll say that I went to lectures with two people on my floor from week 1 to week 8 I think by which point I'd had enough of them (I was third wheeling so hard), and had basically been waiting to go with someone else, I met someone on a course social who happened to live 2 floors below me and more or less forced him to go to lectures with me and he's now my best friend at uni :biggrin:

Secondly, it takes most people about 6-8 weeks to settle in to their new life at uni as it is a big change, and you won't know anyone that well really until well into second half of the year so my advice for you is to be very patient as you still don't know who will be your better friends yet. Go to socials to meet coursemates and get to know people in your building who are on your course, as long as you do your best and put yourself out there things will fall into place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending