The Student Room Group

'A' Levels [20 and moving to UK soon]

Gosh this is such a great site. Much thanks to Emma for introducing me to it.

Hello everybody. Im Maura 20 and heading to UK soon [no thanks to my dad's job posting] :unimpressed:

He's gonna be there for about two years and I'm contemplating doing the 'A' Levels once I get there. Its kind of daunting having to understand what AS levels are and how it adds up to an 'A' level. :confused:. Frankly the information on the British Council site wasn't all that helpful.

I've heard about the reputation of Cambridge's 'A' levels. I'm keen on sitting for its exams. Can I take the required 3 subjects in one year? I reckon I'll be home tutored by my mom.

Can anyone help me? Is there anyone else [International students] deciding or have decided to sit for the CIE's 'A' Levels next year?

Where are you from and how did you apply for the exams?
What papers will you be sitting for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do A levels currently. I'm English so can't give you an international perspective, but I can tell you lots about A levels.

I'm in my second year (A2), and did my first year (AS) last year. They require lots of work, but if you are willing to work hard, they are respected greatly by uni's.

You can do them in a year, but I would highly advice two years unless you are extremely clever or don't have a social life :tongue:

I'm doing Biology, Psychology and English Language. I did Chemistry at AS level but dropped it last year. Because we are encouraged to take 4 A levels and drop one after first year.

What subjects are you thinking of doing?
Reply 2
So basically an A level is made up of qualifications AS and A2.

First year most students will take between 3 and 5 AS subjects (usually 4) and then will see how they are doing when they get their results and will decide what they want to focus on and will generally choose 3 and do they A2 for those subjects... Basically you can do 3 but its always good to an extra one just in case!

As for home schooling I'm not too sure exactly how it works I'm sure there are some here that have a greater knowledge. i did have a friend who did it and she had to pay for her exams and so on but its possible. Also we had a 9 year old kid who came to our college to take his math tests with us... So I'm guessing you would go to the nearest testing centre just like everyone else (:
Reply 3
Original post by saraw26
I do A levels currently. I'm English so can't give you an international perspective, but I can tell you lots about A levels.

I'm in my second year (A2), and did my first year (AS) last year. They require lots of work, but if you are willing to work hard, they are respected greatly by uni's.

You can do them in a year, but I would highly advice two years unless you are extremely clever or don't have a social life :tongue:

I'm doing Biology, Psychology and English Language. I did Chemistry at AS level but dropped it last year. Because we are encouraged to take 4 A levels and drop one after first year.

What subjects are you thinking of doing?

thank you so much for your reply. I'm thinking of taking history, sociology and English. Is the english exam the same as in 'English Language' or 'General Paper'? It is indeed confusing.

I recently spoke to some of my teachers and they all told me separately that AQA and Exedel papers pales in comparison to the papers set by Cambridge. This is in terms of academic recognition.

I then went onto the CIE website but they don't really offer concrete information for students like me who're not within the school curriculum in the UK but want to take the papers on their own [international students].
Reply 4
Original post by CUfan
So basically an A level is made up of qualifications AS and A2.

First year most students will take between 3 and 5 AS subjects (usually 4) and then will see how they are doing when they get their results and will decide what they want to focus on and will generally choose 3 and do they A2 for those subjects... Basically you can do 3 but its always good to an extra one just in case!

As for home schooling I'm not too sure exactly how it works I'm sure there are some here that have a greater knowledge. i did have a friend who did it and she had to pay for her exams and so on but its possible. Also we had a 9 year old kid who came to our college to take his math tests with us... So I'm guessing you would go to the nearest testing centre just like everyone else (:

Thank you very much for your post. I was thinking, you should have written the content for the Cambridge International Exams website :colondollar:

The information you shared was so missing on the site :angry:

For argument sake, can I simply take the 'A' level papers instead of having to do the 'AS' papers first? or do I have to take the 'AS' and then the 'A's?
Reply 5
Original post by Maura Kat
Thank you very much for your post. I was thinking, you should have written the content for the Cambridge International Exams website :colondollar:

The information you shared was so missing on the site :angry:

For argument sake, can I simply take the 'A' level papers instead of having to do the 'AS' papers first? or do I have to take the 'AS' and then the 'A's?

Why thank you! (:

Well unfortunately you cannot because its 2 parts. You'll generally have 4 tests to take. 1 in January 1st year, 1 in June 1st year (for AS) and same again for the second year (for A2 to complete A level)... If you take something like math there's a little more and I'm pretty sure things like photography have less than 4 with a coursework piece...

My advice is choose what you want to do... See how many tests you have to take and if its the average 4 (2 AS and 2 A2) what you can do is take the AS tests in January and the A2 in June... Typically what happens is people mess up say in January so they re-take the same level test in June that year so each time they have a test... It would be tough but its possible
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CUfan
Well unfortunately you cannot because its 2 parts. You'll generally have 4 tests to take. 1 in January 1st year, 1 in June 1st year (for AS) and same again for the second year (for A2 to complete A level)...

I just went onto the site.
http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/qualification/

Under 'Assessment Options', the third points says
3. Take all papers of the Cambridge International A Level course in the same examination session, usually at the end of the course.

I guess I'm going to have to send an email to CIE and find out more.

I have a Scottish teacher here and out of the 5 other teachers that I asked, all said that I should go with CIE. This despite the Cambridge papers being harder but the rewards would be aplenty later on.

If that is the case, why do people take AQA and Exedel papers?
To score ten distinctions simply because the papers are easier?
:s-smilie:

Reply 7
thank you so much for your reply. I'm thinking of taking history, sociology and English. Is the english exam the same as in 'English Language' or 'General Paper'? It is indeed confusing.

With that subject mix, it is entirely possible to consider doing then over 1 year, if you have commitment. Whether you will do well or not, will depend on previous studies. What and where have you been studying for before? If you are coming from overseas, it may be possible to continue that mode of study in the UK.

With regards to CIE, bear in mind that AS/A2 exams are subject to change, they are moving from being taken in two exam sittings over a two year period to all the exams being taken in one exam sitting at the end. In both cases you need to pass all to be awarded and A level. I am using English Language A level syllabus 9093 as the example, other exams may different number of exams or assessments.

So for example old model:
Year 1 - take AS exams, usually 2 papers, exam sittings available in November and June
Year 2 - take A2 exams, usually 2 papers, exam sittings available in November and June
Your A level grade is based on the combinations of AS and A2 exam results. If you were not happy, you could retake a paper. The ability to retake will be restricted in the future. People who wished to achieve an A level in one year, typically started studying in September and took all exams in the June exam sitting. If you are adequately prepared you could take AS exams in Nov and June A2 exams.

New model which is most likely to apply to the OP. This new model comes in for exams in June 2015/2016. Exams in 2014 seem to be a messy hybrid. But for simplicity assume you have to do all 4 exams in one sitting.

Study Year 1, you can optionally take AS exams but they are standalone and won't count towards your overall A level grade, Universities like them though, so it might enhance your university application.

Study Year 2, you take all 4 papers, your A level grade is based on the result of those 4 papers taken in one sitting. In theory if you did the AS exams, papers 1 and 2 will be at the same standard.

You do not have to study over a 2 year period. But you will have take all exams in one sitting if you did not complete the AS level by November 2013 sitting.

Have a look at the international forum on this website, you will probably find many more people who have experience of the CIE exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

I recently spoke to some of my teachers and they all told me separately that AQA and Exedel papers pales in comparison to the papers set by Cambridge. This is in terms of academic recognition.

I then went onto the CIE website but they don't really offer concrete information for students like me who're not within the school curriculum in the UK but want to take the papers on their own [international students].

What is a 'General paper'?

Well for example, English Language at AS included 'catergorsing texts' (using linguistic methods), Language and Gender, Language and Technology and Language and Power. This is on the "English Language AQA B" syllabus - it may be different on different exam boards.

There are so many, it confuses me too :tongue: I'm not that sure of the Cambridge one and how well it is respected by uni's - but I would recommend AQA B :smile:

Hope your studies go really well :smile:
Reply 9
I just went onto the site.
http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-advanced/cambridge-international-as-and-a-levels/qualification/

Under 'Assessment Options', the third points says
3. Take all papers of the Cambridge International A Level course in the same examination session, usually at the end of the course.

I guess I'm going to have to send an email to CIE and find out more.

I have a Scottish teacher here and out of the 5 other teachers that I asked, all said that I should go with CIE. This despite the Cambridge papers being harder but the rewards would be aplenty later on.

If that is the case, why do people take AQA and Exedel papers?
To score ten distinctions simply because the papers are easier?
:s-smilie:

Interesting... I don't know too much about CIE unfortunately. Most public schools will do AQA, Edexcel, OCR etc... For home school I'm sure it is different though.

It looks like that would be fine to do all courses in one session then if that's what you want to do and they give you that option.

The way that I can see it is that say you got an A with CIE it would look more impressive than an A with AQA. However, if someone has an A* because they took AQA it would be more points and worth more even though you got an A and was probably just as difficult. So I guess it depends what you want to do after your A levels... Did you go to any college while in the States?
Reply 10
Original post by edjunkie
Have a look at the international forum on this website, you will probably find many more people who have experience of the CIE exams.

You too, along with saraw26 and CUfan have been most helpful. There were like about 100++ views on this thread but only the three of you bothered to reply me. Thanks a million :wink:

Original post by saraw26
Hope your studies go really well

I wish only the same for you and nothing short of success.
:smile:

Original post by CUfan
Interesting...I don't know too much about CIE unfortunately

My dad was posted to Dubai for 4 years prior to this year and I studied in an international school there. As I was much younger, I did not know much about the quality and recognition level of the various examining bodies. Instead my dad chose for me, the American system and I went along with it anyway. But I can tell this much though, I've never heard of OCR, Exedel or AQA during my time in Dubai.

My mother was a HR director [she recruits people for a chemical petroleum company]and she told me yesterday that OCR, Exedel and AQA carries no weight whatsoever outside of the UK. So does this mean that if a British student who has such qualifications were to apply for a job outside of UK, would he/she be overlooked in favour of someone who instead possesses CIE/Cambridge qualifications?

Well of course ultimately the degree that the individual possesses is what matters most in a job interview setting but for argument sake, lets just say that the recruiter places additional emphasis on where the 'A' level was awarded from and decides to filter the prospective job candidates in that manner. Isn't that ridiculous to have to be told that you did not get the job by nature of where your 'A' levels was awarded from?
:confused:
Reply 11

My dad was posted to Dubai for 4 years prior to this year and I studied in an international school there. As I was much younger, I did not know much about the quality and recognition level of the various examining bodies. Instead my dad chose for me, the American system and I went along with it anyway. But I can tell this much though, I've never heard of OCR, Exedel or AQA during my time in Dubai.

My mother was a HR director [she recruits people for a chemical petroleum company]and she told me yesterday that OCR, Exedel and AQA carries no weight whatsoever outside of the UK. So does this mean that if a British student who has such qualifications were to apply for a job outside of UK, would he/she be overlooked in favour of someone who instead possesses CIE/Cambridge qualifications?

Well of course ultimately the degree that the individual possesses is what matters most in a job interview setting but for argument sake, lets just say that the recruiter places additional emphasis on where the 'A' level was awarded from and decides to filter the prospective job candidates in that manner. Isn't that ridiculous to have to be told that you did not get the job by nature of where your 'A' levels was awarded from?

Ok, so the way I see it is that people outside the UK will perhaps recognize the name of Cambridge for you A level, because everyone has heard of Cambridge right? But I was under the impression if you wanted to apply to an American school with foreign grades they usually ask you to get them put into an american format through companies which will do that. So they'll say instead of AAA you got a 4.0 GPA or whatever you know...

To me an A level is an A level... I'm certain that one cannot be at too much of a lower standard than the rest or that would just be silly.

If you were to continue to go to University here I don't think it would matter... If you went to college in the States I don't think it would matter.. If you tried getting a job I don't think it would matter either because you never say what exam board you used... I think that unless the job was super competitive and they cared so much to look at what exam board you did your A levels with you should be fine...
You too, along with saraw26 and CUfan have been most helpful. There were like about 100++ views on this thread but only the three of you bothered to reply me. Thanks a million :wink:

I wish only the same for you and nothing short of success.
:smile:

An A-Level is an A-Level, nobody looks at the exam board. Anyway, it's run by the same people who run OCR.. (which, for argument's sake, is actually called 'Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations'. Having Oxford and Cambridge in the name makes no difference.)

http://ask.cie.org.uk/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1035&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=5484
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13

Well of course ultimately the degree that the individual possesses is what matters most in a job interview setting but for argument sake, lets just say that the recruiter places additional emphasis on where the 'A' level was awarded from and decides to filter the prospective job candidates in that manner. Isn't that ridiculous to have to be told that you did not get the job by nature of where your 'A' levels was awarded from:confused:

For a degree the university which awards it does matter, because the content will inevitably vary between institutions. A-levels are different because they're standardised nationally and the exam board should not affect the difficulty of the course. Although they can never be perfectly equal, they're quite close.

Are you sure A-levels are the kind of qualification you want to do? They're usually taken by 17-18 year olds and are the main thing universities use to decide who to admit for undergraduate study. If you're 20, I would think you already have an equivalent qualification :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by TattyBoJangles
An A-Level is an A-Level, nobody looks at the exam board.

I have to disagree with you. That may be the case within the United Kingdom but I have absolutely no interest in working there after my graduation. I might want to return to the States or head down Far East to gain some work experience.

United Kingdom is bankrupt and already as it is, unemployment rates are sky-high. The last thing I want to do is to jeopardize my job prospects and future by taking 'easy' A-Level subjects by virtually unknown and unheard of exam boards.

Your reply just shows me that you are ignorant and frankly it'll be best if you do don't reply to me at all.

Original post by Kerch
A-levels are different because they're standardised nationally and the exam board should not affect the difficulty of the course. Although they can never be perfectly equal, they're quite close.

You're missing the point. In the United Kingdom, OCR, Exedel and AQA are known, reputable and generally accepted by the workforce. But sad to say, this is not the case outside of the United Kingdom.

There are several international students on this site as well so I sincerely hope that you do not mislead them. Cambridge International Exams are the way to go as far as international students are concerned and only they would genuinely know the merits of that examining body.
I have to disagree with you. That may be the case within the United Kingdom but I have absolutely no interest in working there after my graduation. I might want to return to the States or head down Far East to gain some work experience.

United Kingdom is bankrupt and already as it is, unemployment rates are sky-high. The last thing I want to do is to jeopardize my job prospects and future by taking 'easy' A-Level subjects by virtually unknown and unheard of exam boards.

Your reply just shows me that you are ignorant and frankly it'll be best if you do don't reply to me at all.

Haha, right. I see you ignored the bit where I pointed out that OCR and CIE are essentially the same (run by the same people), it's just that CIE's exam structure is slightly different so it suits the needs of international students? That's why it's known internationally, not because it's comparatively amazingly difficult and you won't have people swooning over you because you took it over OCR etc
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16

You're missing the point. In the United Kingdom, OCR, Exedel and AQA are known, reputable and generally accepted by the workforce. But sad to say, this is not the case outside of the United Kingdom.

There are several international students on this site as well so I sincerely hope that you do not mislead them. Cambridge International Exams are the way to go as far as international students are concerned and only they would genuinely know the merits of that examining body.

I'm not trying to tell you which one you personally should take (you seem to have worked that out yourself), I'm telling you whether there is any difference in standard between the courses. The fact international employers may be ignorant doesn't effect that.
Reply 17
Original post by TattyBoJangles
... and you won't have people swooning over you because you took it over OCR etc

Original post by Kerch
I'm not trying to tell you which one you personally should take (you seem to have worked that out yourself), I'm telling you whether there is any difference in standard between the courses. The fact international employers may be ignorant doesn't effect that.

Can either of you provide me with a written guarantee that an international employer would not discriminate my A-Levels just because I took it from another virtually unheard of examining body [AQA, OCR, Exedel] outside of the United Kingdom instead of Cambridge's A-Levels?
Can either of you provide me with a written guarantee that an international employer would not discriminate my A-Levels just because I took it from another virtually unheard of examining body [AQA, OCR, Exedel] outside of the United Kingdom instead of Cambridge's A-Levels?

Of course I can't. What do you expect me to do, contact every single employer?
However, you don't even put your exam board on your CV, so how would they know anyway? The qualification - A-Level - is what they're looking at, not the exam board.

Would you stop calling them Cambridge's A-Levels? CIE and OCR are both run by Cambridge Assessment. The name Cambridge does not impress people in this instance. If it did, as I've already said, OCR would be seen as the best as it stands for Oxford, Cambridge and RSA examinations.

As I said. CIE is no more respected when it comes to A-Levels (Pre-U, maybe, but that's a different qualification entirely) and you don't even list the exam board on your CV so nobody would know anyway. The reason you've heard of them and not the others is because CIE is the branch of Cambridge Assessments that deals with international students.

I do hope you're not taking any A-Levels that require any degree of logical reasoning.
Reply 19

There are huge numbers of international students taking Edexcel A levels internationally and many international students at schools in the UK taking qualifications from Edexcel/OCR/AQA maybe you should stop propounding such ill informed wisdom.

I have lived and worked in the UK, USA, China, Australia and Singapore and nobody has ever expressed any interest in who awarded me my A levels.

Do your A levels with whoever you wish but don't kid yourself that it will have any meaningful impact on future employment prospects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending