The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I'm applying to Edinburgh for 2014 entry" chat thread

Thinking of applying to Edinburgh for 2014 entry?
Have lots of questions or just want to chat?

Then this thread is for you!

If you want to ask a question to a current student/graduate then please post it in the FAQ thread and someone will try to help you. Please do read the FAQs first though on the first post - most questions are already answered there. If you want to know more about outside courses, you check out the dedicated thread here. Accommodation posts should be made here. There's also a "stalking" page for applicant details here.

All that remains to say is good luck with your applications!

Thread lovingly ripped off from the original by oxymoronic.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! So is anyone else applying to Edinburgh for History this year? Does anyone know what the standard offer is? What type of AS Level Grades do you need to have a good chance?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Have you looked at their entry grades? If you've got above BBC at AS then you're probably okay to apply.

<3 x
Reply 3
Yeah, I did. But they're entry requirements are very strange as they say AAA-BBB so it always depends.

x
Reply 4
What edinburgh mean by their entry requirements is a bit weird.
They consider anything from about BBB I think, but it's extremely unrealistic you would get an offer like that.
For example, in law they look for a minimum of BBBB at higher, but most people getting offers usually have atleast AAAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Ambry
They consider anything from about BBB I think, but it's extremely unrealistic you would get an offer like that.
For example, in law they look for a minimum of BBBB at higher, but most people getting offers usually have atleast AAAA.

Ok Cool! Just saw another thread which had a lot of people with BBB offers for History, they said that it was really hard to get an offer but once you do, it's easy to meet it. Idk though thats just what I heard...
Reply 6
[QUOTE="LSE1996;44612658"]
Original post by Ambry

Ok Cool! Just saw another thread which had a lot of people with BBB offers for History, they said that it was really hard to get an offer but once you do, it's easy to meet it. Idk though thats just what I heard...

I think Ediburgh's way of thinking is if you got really high grades at AS, why prove yourself for A2? The scottish university system tends to be geared towards what you did before you applied to university. So basically if you are smart enough to get like 4 A's at AS, Edinburgh know you are smart enough so they don't give super high offers :biggrin:
I'm applying to Edinburgh for Law but the entry requirements really worry me! I know someone who applied last year and apparently got offered ABB (offers are AAA-BBB) but I'm not sure how to quality for an offer that low!
Reply 8
I would love to apply for Edinburgh but I only have BBCC at higher and I'm doing 4 highers and a national 6 and a national 5 and an int 2 this year (6th)

No chance :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I'm applying to Edinburgh for History this year too, I've already done my a levels but I messed up the coursework so I'm re taking th at. My predicted grades are ABB, which might scrape me an offer but universities look at more than grades. Because mine aren't great I've found lots of related volunteer work as history guides at museums etc to try and give an edge.
Good luck!
Reply 10
Thank you! Good luck! Maybe we'll meet in Edinburgh Sophiecr! Really focus on your grades because no amount of volunteer work can substitute good grades!
Reply 11
Original post by danataher
I'm applying to Edinburgh for Law but the entry requirements really worry me! I know someone who applied last year and apparently got offered ABB (offers are AAA-BBB) but I'm not sure how to quality for an offer that low!

If you have really good AS Levels (What were your grades?) and really good GCSES'S then you are likely to get BBB. However, if you're grades in the past weren't great then you're likely to get AAA-AAB.
Original post by LSE1996
If you have really good AS Levels (What were your grades?) and really good GCSES'S then you are likely to get BBB. However, if you're grades in the past weren't great then you're likely to get AAA-AAB.

qualify* my bad haha. And honestly, my grades were ****.. AS were BBCC, dropped one C, resitting the other (predicted AAA though cause my C was due to contextual factors) and my GCSE's are 1 A* and 9 As). Is it likely that I'll be predicted AAB at least?
Reply 13
I did CBSE in 10th Grade and got two A1's and three A2's (equivalent to 2 A*'s and 3 A's i guess)
I got 2 A's and 2 C's for AS and i am gonna write my A levels this November. I am also gonna retake for the 2 C graded subjects. I got a really strong recommendation and my predicted grades are 3 A*'s and 1 A.

What are the normal offer letters at Edinburgh? Do you guys reckon i can get in?
Reply 14
Original post by AmJoy
I did CBSE in 10th Grade and got two A1's and three A2's (equivalent to 2 A*'s and 3 A's i guess)
I got 2 A's and 2 C's for AS and i am gonna write my A levels this November. I am also gonna retake for the 2 C graded subjects. I got a really strong recommendation and my predicted grades are 3 A*'s and 1 A.

What are the normal offer letters at Edinburgh? Do you guys reckon i can get in?

I don't think you stand much of a chance. What are you applying for? You're predictions are incredibly inconsistent with your achieved grades, so I wouldn't accept an offer but Edinburgh is unpredictable so u never know. Good Luck!
Reply 15
Original post by LSE1996
I don't think you stand much of a chance. What are you applying for? You're predictions are incredibly inconsistent with your achieved grades, so I wouldn't accept an offer but Edinburgh is unpredictable so u never know. Good Luck!

I have had trouble studying...personal reasons. And considering that my teachers seem to believe i have done pretty well.
I was planning to apply for Politics and International Relations.
But maybe you are right...
Reply 16
Original post by AmJoy
I have had trouble studying...personal reasons. And considering that my teachers seem to believe i have done pretty well.
I was planning to apply for Politics and International Relations.
But maybe you are right...

If you get the As this year, and your teachers predict you the high grades, and if your referee explains why you are retaking, you do have a chance of receiving an offer. If you want to apply to Edinburgh, do it, there's no harm in trying :smile: Just see how it goes, and have a look at other unis too.
Reply 17
Original post by Gnome :)
If you get the As this year, and your teachers predict you the high grades, and if your referee explains why you are retaking, you do have a chance of receiving an offer. If you want to apply to Edinburgh, do it, there's no harm in trying :smile: Just see how it goes, and have a look at other unis too.

Yep i'm gonna try anyway.
What other unis do you suggest?
Reply 18
Original post by AmJoy

Absolutely no idea; I study a subject which probably couldn't be any more different so wouldn't have a clue, but my advice would be to research, go to open days, look at student satisfaction rates, and make sure you apply to a range of universities. Of course, there's no point in applying to one that you wouldn't want to go to anyway, but some will have lower entry requirements without necessarily being a "worse" course. By looking around different places, you should get a gut feeling as to where you will be happy :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by AmJoy

AmJoy I suggest that you try for unis like Birmingham,Bristol,Royal Holloway etc..

Latest