The Student Room Group

Biology/Zoology at University of Bristol 2014

Hello, I have decided on the 5 universities I want to apply for Biology however my top university choice has entry requirements that are higher than my predicted grades and I was just wondering if I had a chance of getting an offer.

At AS level I got A-Psychology A-French D-Biology, I will of course be retaking my biology modules this summer in hope of getting a B overall. My predictions are A-Psychology B-French and B-Biology. However, for Biology at Bristol the entry requirements are AAB and my predictions are ABB, does anyone know if Bristol only look at predicted grades or do they take into account your actual AS grades as well? Also would they even consider looking at my application with my D grade at AS for Biology?
I think that this is probably best viewed as a 'risky' application, so you will need to have some other, lower grade, choices too. They'll look at both your AS grades and A2 predictions, but as both fall short I'd suggest that you will not be top of the pile. What grades do your other choices want?

Ask your referee to explain why they think that you will go up by two grades (e.g. you had mitigating circumstances) - a +1 prediction is entirely normal, but a +2 prediction can raise fears of an unachieveable prediction. In this case, if I was an admissions tutor, the first thing I'd think would be that you were predicted a B simply because that was more in line with your other AS grades, and it would make getting offers more likely, not because you actually have the inherent ability to go up to a B grade. If this is not the case, it should be explained in your reference.

Why is your predicted grade for French lower than your AS grade? That's very unusual.
All universities will look at both your achieved grades and your predicted grades. Bristol is a fairly competitive university anyway, so I think this is best considered a risky application.

I do think your referee should be justifying your unusual predicted grades. Is there a reason you only got a D in Biology AS?

Given your low AS grade for biology, you might be better reapplying on a gap year. I think the D at AS will raise some concerns and put you in a weaker position compared to other applicants.
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
I think that this is probably best viewed as a 'risky' application, so you will need to have some other, lower grade, choices too. They'll look at both your AS grades and A2 predictions, but as both fall short I'd suggest that you will not be top of the pile. What grades do your other choices want?

Ask your referee to explain why they think that you will go up by two grades (e.g. you had mitigating circumstances) - a +1 prediction is entirely normal, but a +2 prediction can raise fears of an unachieveable prediction. In this case, if I was an admissions tutor, the first thing I'd think would be that you were predicted a B simply because that was more in line with your other AS grades, and it would make getting offers more likely, not because you actually have the inherent ability to go up to a B grade. If this is not the case, it should be explained in your reference.

Why is your predicted grade for French lower than your AS grade? That's very unusual.

Yes Bristol is my only option that is AAB all my others require ABB and one BBB! My french grade prediction is lower because apparently in the A2 paper people tend to lose more marks and I was just into the A grade so they are choosing the safe option to go lower! Thank you for your reply!
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
All universities will look at both your achieved grades and your predicted grades. Bristol is a fairly competitive university anyway, so I think this is best considered a risky application.

I do think your referee should be justifying your unusual predicted grades. Is there a reason you only got a D in Biology AS?

Given your low AS grade for biology, you might be better reapplying on a gap year. I think the D at AS will raise some concerns and put you in a weaker position compared to other applicants.

I'm waiting to get a photocopy of the script, I'm still not sure where I went wrong! I thought I understood and knew all the stuff so well, i'm thinking maybe it was just the exam paper that was a funny one for me. I was getting A's in all the past papers I did up to the exam which was why getting a D was such a shock! My biology teacher agrees with me and has said she will explain it in my reference!

I have considered taking a gap year, i'll just have to wait and see what offers I get and then go from that, thank you for your reply!
Original post by isabella0149
I'm waiting to get a photocopy of the script, I'm still not sure where I went wrong! I thought I understood and knew all the stuff so well, i'm thinking maybe it was just the exam paper that was a funny one for me. I was getting A's in all the past papers I did up to the exam which was why getting a D was such a shock! My biology teacher agrees with me and has said she will explain it in my reference!

I have considered taking a gap year, i'll just have to wait and see what offers I get and then go from that, thank you for your reply!

That's a real shame. Hopefully you can learn from what went wrong and improve your grade. Yes, there is no harm in applying this year, as you won't have lost anything, and you might get some offers you want :smile:
Reply 6
Bristol are pretty ruthless. They offered my daughter 14/20 in the French baccalaureate with 14 in biology and 14 in one other science. She got higher overall and WAY higher in biology (17) but 13 in both maths and physics chemistry but they eventually rejected her. And that was the equivalent of A* in biology!
I'd say a D in biology is high risk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending