The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

One of Britains top universities pending accreditation? What is this?

Exeter is a really good university for geology, nearly top in the rankings and famous for its camborne school of mines. But it officially isn't accredited. Their site says it's all accredited but if you click on BSc geology course it says it's pending accreditation. Will it definitely be accredited in the future? Why hasn't it been accredited now???????
Which page is this, all the ones I just found on Google say that the course is accredited by the Geology Society.

If there is a lack of accreditation it is probably either because the course is new, or because the course has changed significantly since it was last accredited. It could need to be reaccredited.

Best course of action - ask the department why the lack of accreditation. I'm sure there will be a mundane explanation that will not reflect poorly on the university.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by nonswimmer

If there is a lack of accreditation it is probably either because the course is new, or because the course has changed significantly since it was last accredited. It could need to be reaccredited.

The first of these looks to be it:

Our BSc degrees are accredited by the The Geological Society. Accreditation is pending for the MGeol degree.

Four year 'masters' degrees in science are the new thing all over and it seems Exeter geology is following suit. If the three year BSc degree in which you need to do well to complete a fourth year and graduate 'MGeol' is already accredited (and it is) then accreditation for the course involving a further year will surely be granted straightforwardly.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Four year 'masters' degrees in science are the new thing all over and it seems Exeter geology is following suit. If the three year BSc degree in which you need to do well to complete a fourth year and graduate 'MGeol' is already accredited (and it is) then accreditation for the course involving a further year will surely be granted straightforwardly.

well spotted.

also, to the OP - just in case there was any doubt - the lack of accreditation only applies to the extra Geology Society recognition, and not to the basic underlying degree, which will be properly accredited as a suitable course of study in higher education.
Reply 4
Original post by nonswimmer
Which page is this, all the ones I just found on Google say that the course is accredited by the Geology Society. .

http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/geology/undergraduate/degrees/geology/

I'm sure it's fine. Got the best rep for geology of any university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending