The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2015 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm finding the course interesting, not too fussed on the food side of food and health, nor do I really expect to overly enjoy the plant side of exchange and transport when we start to learn it. How are you finding it?
Yeah I've started revising, I go to extra revision sessions after school on a Monday, and I have my two mocks next week and the week after so I'm currently in the process of revising those. I think our teacher said we should be done about mid-late April. Despite that I'm going to start doing past papers relatively soon so I can get feedback on the parts I have learnt. How about you? :-)
Reply 21
I have two separate mocks on F211 and F212, we've basically covered everything now apart from transportation in plants and Biodiversity.

Oh god, tell me about it, I'm actually panicking about how fast time is going! Have you sorted or already had any work experience yet? x
Reply 22
Original post by Franksss
I have two separate mocks on F211 and F212, we've basically covered everything now apart from transportation in plants and Biodiversity.

Oh god, tell me about it, I'm actually panicking about how fast time is going! Have you sorted or already had any work experience yet? x

Yaaa! I do OCR bio and chem! We have covered everything so far except the food and health section and the biodiversity section
I'm finding it really interesting tho we have mocks after half term so this half term I'm hoping it will be very productive! How you finding revision in terms of timing and understanding the stuff? And when you planning on starting past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by ilovesummerrr
Yaaa! I do OCR bio and chem! We have covered everything so far except the food and health section and the biodiversity section
I'm finding it really interesting tho we have mocks after half term so this half term I'm hoping it will be very productive! How you finding revision in terms of timing and understanding the stuff? And when you planning on starting past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh nice, how you finding Chem? I find the fact that F212 and F322 are the day after each other absolutely ridiculous, and somewhat cruel! Ahhh good luck on your mocks, I have one next week and one the following week. I'm finding revision okay, been struggling a little with homework exam questions, been getting C's and B's :frown: I've been getting as much feedback as I can though so hoping everything will in improve in time for my mocks! I'm gonna start doing past papers after half term so I can get feedback and improve. How about you?
Reply 24
Ahhhh nice, how you finding Chem? I find the fact that F212 and F322 are the day after each other absolutely ridiculous, and somewhat cruel! Ahhh good luck on your mocks, I have one next week and one the following week. I'm finding revision okay, been struggling a little with homework exam questions, been getting C's and B's :frown: I've been getting as much feedback as I can though so hoping everything will in improve in time for my mocks! I'm gonna start doing past papers after half term so I can get feedback and improve. How about you?

Hey i've just realised you're from harford! How random! I used to go to STP :biggrin: I was the only dentist to come from there for like...at least 5 years. I'm in 2nd year at barts now :smile:

I've just come on here to say to everyone, if you have questions or need general adivice about anything. Feel free to message me :smile:

Cheers,
Ryan.
I'm in this group and currently crapping myself. I'm fine with the a- levels but if I don't get in I'm not sure what other course I would take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Athena.
Your grades a perfectly fine if they relate to the right subjects, so long as you've got a B in English (Lang) & a B in Maths at GCSE, your safe to go... Your AS levels (*Chem, *Bio & Maths)are what uni's want for dentistry course so no worries...:smile:

*Priority

All applicants should take care when applying to check requirements - 5 dental schools require A grade Maths and English.
Reply 27

I'm not too fussed about the whole day after each other exam tbh I just want them out the way lol! I hate the bio mark scheme I swear it makes you feel so dumb. Chemistry I'm looking at green chem the resources section and I absolutely hate it so boring and pointless. Yeah me tooooooo! After half term is past paper time so I can use the half term for understanding required knowledge properly
I have my biology ISA practicals next week on enzymes I'm kinda stressing tbh coz I'm not a big fan of these practicals :frown:
Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Kartace
Hey i've just realised you're from harford! How random! I used to go to STP :biggrin: I was the only dentist to come from there for like...at least 5 years. I'm in 2nd year at barts now :smile:

I've just come on here to say to everyone, if you have questions or need general adivice about anything. Feel free to message me :smile:

Cheers,
Ryan.

Ahhhh wow that's so cool! I go to Milford Haven School though, only moved up to Harford last year. Ahhh, I'd love to have some advice, will do thank you :-)
Reply 29
I'm not too fussed about the whole day after each other exam tbh I just want them out the way lol! I hate the bio mark scheme I swear it makes you feel so dumb. Chemistry I'm looking at green chem the resources section and I absolutely hate it so boring and pointless. Yeah me tooooooo! After half term is past paper time so I can use the half term for understanding required knowledge properly
I have my biology ISA practicals next week on enzymes I'm kinda stressing tbh coz I'm not a big fan of these practicals :frown:
Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, because of the weather my school was off today so I have more time to prepare for my Biology mock! I know, Green Chemistry is a bore but it's got to be done! Ahhh, I'm not sure when I'm doing my practicals, I hope they're soon, I want to get them out of the way!
Reply 30
Hey guys I want to apply for dentistry too. Currently doing all three sciences and maths. Anyone got work experience sorted yet and anyone considering Birmingham, Kings or Barts ?
Reply 31
Original post by utsav12
Hey guys I want to apply for dentistry too. Currently doing all three sciences and maths. Anyone got work experience sorted yet and anyone considering Birmingham, Kings or Barts ?

I haven't got any work experience yet but I was hoping to get some sorted for during the summer perhaps? My local dentists said they don't do work experience unfortunately :frown:
I'm looking more outside London, would be nice to move out so perhaps Liverpool Leeds Newcastle cardiff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't got any work experience yet but I was hoping to get some sorted for during the summer perhaps? My local dentists said they don't do work experience unfortunately :frown:
I'm looking more outside London, would be nice to move out so perhaps Liverpool Leeds Newcastle cardiff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you haven't got any work experience yet then you seriously need to get some sorted as a matter of urgency.... Some students are fortunate enough to have contacts in the profession but if you haven't, it can be really difficult to secure placements. Some dentists don't have time or are inundated with requests; others require you to have had Hep B/CRB checks. From experience I know of people who have had to put a huge effort (letter writing, emails, phone calls, approaching "friends of friends") just to get a couple of weeks with a GDP. Most unis like more experience (esp Leeds) and preferably in different settings so you should also try for orthodontics, community dental team, hospital, dental labs etc.
As I have said before, you need to get work experience as soon as you can for your own benefit - after all how can you be sure that dentistry is for you unless you have done work experience and gained insights into the profession?
Reply 33
Original post by lois griffin
If you haven't got any work experience yet then you seriously need to get some sorted as a matter of urgency.... Some students are fortunate enough to have contacts in the profession but if you haven't, it can be really difficult to secure placements. Some dentists don't have time or are inundated with requests; others require you to have had Hep B/CRB checks. From experience I know of people who have had to put a huge effort (letter writing, emails, phone calls, approaching "friends of friends") just to get a couple of weeks with a GDP. Most unis like more experience (esp Leeds) and preferably in different settings so you should also try for orthodontics, community dental team, hospital, dental labs etc.
As I have said before, you need to get work experience as soon as you can for your own benefit - after all how can you be sure that dentistry is for you unless you have done work experience and gained insights into the profession?

Omg this is so true and I feel quite silly for leaving it so late. I'm going to start searching straight away, possibly long term!
Thank you xo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
What are everybody's gcse profiles like ? Apparently birmigham and kings require high a* counts ?
Reply 35
I haven't started UKCAT revision, I feel like I can't find anytime with normal work to fit it in :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can download UKCAT app (or android or Google play) to practise, as far as I know it's free. So even if your in the car, on your way to college, or anywhere else, you can practise :smile:
Reply 36
Does leeds require an ukcat ?
Reply 37
Original post by mimi007
Does leeds require an ukcat ?

Yep! All unis for dentistry do:smile:
Reply 38
Original post by mimi007
Not all
bristol
liverpool
Birmingham dont require any test

Omg what? Really? I googled this just now and I think you might be right. Google keeps giving me mixed answers though, do you mind telling me more?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by mimi007
Yeah i m telling the truth they dont require ukcat or bmat or any test

Just Bristol Liverpool and Birmingham or is there more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest