The Student Room Group

can anyone tell me what exactly is a "college husband"?

can anyone tell me what exactly is a college husband? I have heard this phrase used and I am not sure what this relationship is.

This post misused the anon function. Before posting anonymously, please read the H&R guidelines - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/guidelines_for_health_and_relationships
(edited 10 years ago)
At a guess, I would say someone who married early?
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
At a guess, I would say someone who married early?

That seems unlikely :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
That seems unlikely :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? As in someone who is a husband at college.

Got any better suggestions? :colonhash:
Reply 4
At Cambridge, it's someone who looks after freshers with you. You are the wife (if a girl) and the other 'parent' in the husband. The freshers you look after are your college children.
The only place I've heard it used is in relation to Oxbridge. Here we run a 'family' system within colleges to help integrate freshers into the college, so you will have a pair or group of friends get 'college married' and then assigned to a group of freshers who are their 'college kids'. A 'college husband' is therefore a guy that you're college married to.

Naturally, this system gets quite complex and incest/polygamy are commonplace :tongue:
Reply 6
Why? As in someone who is a husband at college.

Got any better suggestions? :colonhash:

Yep, what Occums Chainsaw said :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're in the second year, you get a college husband/wife from your own year, and college sons or daughters from the year below. You and your "spouse" look after your "children" i.e. you help them settle into university.
Yep, what Occums Chainsaw said :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, but that was his suggestion, not yours :tongue: You need to come up with something better than my suggestion!
Reply 9
Ah, but that was his suggestion, not yours :tongue: You need to come up with something better than my suggestion!

I had no suggestion but I just thought yours didn't make any sense. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had no suggestion but I just thought yours didn't make any sense. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was the best I could come up with - and I still think it made a reasonable amount of sense! Anyway, we should most likely stop spamming this thread :tongue:
Have that here in Singapore as well. Two people from the second year act as someone to look after the first years that you get designated.
I thought it was someone that you were with during the entirety of your college life and spent every waking moment with. :h:
:dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending