The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by martin jol
i drove without an mot for months. must've driven past at least 10 police cars.

never got done :cool:

Really? I find that very hard to believe
Original post by po10tial
Really? I find that very hard to believe

it's true.

it would be a very odd thing to lie about. :rolleyes:
Reply 22
What happens if someone reports it?

Does insurance decrease year after year?

Would they check driveways?

Also, does insurance decrease year after year?

How much does insurance increase, if I crash

If someone reports it it will be up to the police to decide if it is worth acting on.
They wouldn't need to check the driveways as legally you do not need the vehicle taxed or SORN if it is parked on private land (e.g. a driveway or garage). If you're basing this on your example of your friend driving you vehicle, they would have to pull him over, or approached him when he was parked on the road. Remember that you too can get in trouble if you knowing let someone drive your vehicle if they do not have insurance.
Finally, for insurance, it almost certainly will go up. Driving without insurance is a 6 point fine if I remember correctly, and points will screw your license. Insurance should decrease the more years you have been driving, but obviously is affected by whether you change your vehicle, if you move to a different area, if you have any crashes, claims or convictions etc. If you crash your insurance may not go up, especially if you do not claim on the insurance. A friend of a friend totalled his car and ended up in a coma, but his insurance has changed as he didn't claim on the insurance.

Basically, don't be a tit, get insurance.
LOL. I am bothered with insurance.

I have seen cars being pulled over near my workplace. It was just a thought as to how these police cars know you are uninsured, and also why people do it?

They have this computer thing in their car. You can't hide if that's what you wanted to know.
I'm sure you know why people do it lol
Reply 24
I'm not saying I am going to do that.

Every time you say that I feel you are going to do that. If you are, don't.
Reply 25
Original post by jeddows
If someone reports it it will be up to the police to decide if it is worth acting on.
They wouldn't need to check the driveways as legally you do not need the vehicle taxed or SORN if it is parked on private land (e.g. a driveway or garage). If you're basing this on your example of your friend driving you vehicle, they would have to pull him over, or approached him when he was parked on the road. Remember that you too can get in trouble if you knowing let someone drive your vehicle if they do not have insurance.
Finally, for insurance, it almost certainly will go up. Driving without insurance is a 6 point fine if I remember correctly, and points will screw your license. Insurance should decrease the more years you have been driving, but obviously is affected by whether you change your vehicle, if you move to a different area, if you have any crashes, claims or convictions etc. If you crash your insurance may not go up, especially if you do not claim on the insurance. A friend of a friend totalled his car and ended up in a coma, but his insurance has changed as he didn't claim on the insurance.

Basically, don't be a tit, get insurance.

Yeah, I though insurance decreases as you get older and older.

I did not let my friend drive my car. I don't really have a car at the moment LOL.

Near my workplace, I always see cars being pulled over and thats why I ask here, how the police catch uninsured drivers.
Hi,
Can you only get fined for driving uninsured if you are caught driving by a police officer/police car? Do they check the cars in each driveway for example? How do people get punished for driving uninsured?

You cannot keep a car without insurance even if you do not intend to drive it.

In my opionion it is extremely selfish to drive uninsured for any distance whatsoever.

The consequences of an uninsured crash with a third party can go far beyond the simple cost of the damage to the cars.

For instance, the innocent party may only have 3rd party insurance which means they can only claim for damage to their vehicle from the at-fault party. If that person is uninsured, then they have little hope of getting any money back at all. But that may just be the beginning of their problems.

The car may well be their only form of transport making it impossible for them to get to work (loss of earnings), collect children from school (children at risk), go shopping to the supermarket (can't feed the kids), get to hospital (life at risk) etc. etc.

It may seem a harmless thing to do, but the impact on others who are totally innocent can and very often is devastating for them.

If you are stopped and discvered to have no insurance, your vehice will be immediately siezed and taken to a police car pound. besides points and a fine, you will not be abe to get your car back until you pay the release costs and a daily charge for the length your car was impounded. This can be several hundred pounds.

If you cannot pay within a certain time limit (seven days I think) your car will be either sold at auction and the money goes to HMG, or it will be crushed.

Recently a rare £350,000 Lambhorgini Aventador was siezed for being uninsured and since no-one came forward to claim it, the government pocketed £218,000 at auction.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/trending-blog/uninsured-lamborghini-sold-by-police-for-%C2%A3218k
I would've put this in the section for Law. They should know their stuff ^^.
What happens if someone reports it?

Does insurance decrease year after year?

They'll get in trouble.

And yes, just holding the licence more and getting older decreases quotes.

I've had initial quotes on a 1.2L Corsa at 17 yrs to be £3000, 2.5 years later, quotes are around £600-£800 same car; comprehensive. :smile:
Original post by Willum Infanta
Police cars have automatic number plate recognition things on their cars so it scans immediately for if you don't have a license, insurance, mot etc.

wrong on so many levels, it's called ANPR
Original post by The Student-
wrong on so many levels, it's called ANPR

:dunce:

'Automatic Number Plate Recognition'

A...N...P...R...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
They do it via ANPR
Reply 32
Original post by Atsushi
Every time you say that I feel you are going to do that. If you are, don't.
Legally he shouldn't, morally he should.
Does that mean every single police car is fitted with these? Even if they drive past you on their way home or what not?

I'm just curious because I drove without mot by pure accident as I didn't realise it was due as im a new driver...
Original post by sheepface
Does that mean every single police car is fitted with these? Even if they drive past you on their way home or what not?

I'm just curious because I drove without mot by pure accident as I didn't realise it was due as im a new driver...

no, not every police car is fitted with them.

i was pulled over at midnight by a police patrol car who had to radio the office with my car registration.

sometimes you will get a car that says DVLA and there will be a camera sign painted on the door.
If a vehicle is insured by a person who is banned from driving. Will this show up/alert the police that the person driving is banned, even if the vehicle is insured?
A person cannot insure. Vehicle without a current UK licence ( or valid overseas one)

Therefore they need to lie to insure the car.
Doing this will invalidate the insurance , add further charges and possibly open up other charges such as fraud
Errr the majority of police cars dont have ANPR systems on them, especially if you live outside of London.

To be honest there is very little chance of getting done for driving without insurance / MOT alone. Most people who get fined for stuff like that are initially pulled for something else (minor speeding offense and the likes). Or ofcourse if they are involved in an accident.
Original post by CAElite
Errr the majority of police cars dont have ANPR systems on them, especially if you live outside of London.

To be honest there is very little chance of getting done for driving without insurance / MOT alone. Most people who get fined for stuff like that are initially pulled for something else (minor speeding offense and the likes). Or ofcourse if they are involved in an accident.

I think you will find a lot of police cars do have the anpr systems on them.
Although a lot of people do end up getting initially pulled for minor offences and then get done for no insurance/mot etc, a lot of people get done for no insurance/mot alone. Its not as rare as you may think.
As others have said,many police traffic cars have ANPR systems that will spot a dodgy vehicle easily. Also ,in all major cities, there are ANPR spy cameras on strategic routes in and out of the city gathering data about vehicles and traffic flows.

You can always check insurance on

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Feel free to grass on anyone you dont like..

Latest

Trending

Trending