The Student Room Group

To win back a friend

So I had a thing for my best friend for years, but she'd only been my best friend for the last 12 months or so. We got on so well all the time, and eventually we got forced to talk about our feelings for each other and, to my surprise, she said she liked me. So I was sort of blow off my feet and asked her out straight up without even thinking about it and she said yes.
She'd had a couple of boyfriends before whereas I'd never got anywhere near one, so I suppose I never thought she'd consider me, despite the fact that it should have been obvious she liked me. She gave up all her time for me and she got jealous when I started talking to another girl.
Anyway, we were happy together for a couple of months and then, because we'd finished our A-Levels, she decided we weren't going to see enough of each other, and said we needed to break up. This hurt, but I knew her reasons were genuine because she cried so much while saying it, and she never cried! She promised we would stay best friends, and so I accepted that we should break up.
In the months that have passed since, we've barely seen each other (we live 3 hours train apart) and we keep falling out over stupid tiny little things. We used to talk every day, now it's once a week at most, and that is very strained. While I still probably have feelings for her, I know she has moved on, and that isnt so much the problem. I just don't want to accept that my best friend is drifting away from me. We fitted together so well and I'm not sure I'll ever find a friend like her. But she doesn't seem to be bothered anymore, like she doesn't answer her texts, she isn't interested in seeing me, and she is never there for me anymore when I need her.
So, what do I do to try and win my best friend back?
Reply 1
You sound like quite a nice person just tell her the truth...

Say you don't want to sound all soppy but you miss being good mates with her and even though you've broken up she'll always be a friend. That it upsets you that you argue and you're sorry for your part to play in the whole thing going a bit sour.

Or something along those line.

And work on the friendship, you're still in contact so that's a good thing. If you get the opportunity try and meet up and do something light hearted and fun. With friendships you have to have patience. It might be awkward for a while but keep at it if you stick by them at some point they'll recognise you're a loyal person and good friend

But also don't pester her, give space to miss you too.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending