The Student Room Group

Recently been removed from college

I was studying A level law, politics and psychology.
my grades in weekly assessments were A/B's.
i was removed from A levels due to poor attendance. Which couldn't be avoided.
Im wanting a career as a barrister.

I'm just wanting to know what people suggest. Do i find employment then reapply in August? Start an apprenticeship? Or enter myself privately?
Reply 1
Original post by wiggyboy
I was studying A level law, politics and psychology.
my grades in weekly assessments were A/B's.
i was removed from A levels due to poor attendance. Which couldn't be avoided.
Im wanting a career as a barrister.

I'm just wanting to know what people suggest. Do i find employment then reapply in August? Start an apprenticeship? Or enter myself privately?

I think it's most important to decide what will be the best course of action to get you to the career you want. If you do want to be a barrister (which is hugely competitive), then you're going to have to do A Levels and get a Law degree in order to be considered at all.

If your poor attendance has been caused by unavoidable circumstances such as ill health then speak to your school/college about what's best for you, they'll want to help you. If it's because of a lack of motivation or drive then you'll want to re-think your career.

Also, I would say you should rethink your A Level choices if you want to be a barrister. To get into the Bar you need to attend a top university to study law (think Oxbridge, UCL, KCL, LSE, etc), and these universities will want more traditional 'facilitating' subjects (the list is on Russell Group website).

You'll also need top grades - AAA/AAB - to get into these universities, so I don't think that self-tuition would be your best bet. Again, I recommend you talk to the college and ask for their advice.

Good luck!
Reply 2
haha i had like 50% attendance during my a levels and nobody gave a ****.

sucks to be you buddy
Reply 3
Think you need to clarify 'could not be avoided' before asking for advice

If you are serious about becoming a barrister you need a #### hot academic record and have not made a good start

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by smd4std
haha i had like 50% attendance during my a levels and nobody gave a ****.

sucks to be you buddy

and that's why you're at Hull
Reply 5
Original post by Mike_123
and that's why you're at Hull

yeah.
Original post by smd4std
yeah.

Personally, I would say it 'sucks to be you'

I may 'do something **** like hair and beauty'

But I don't live in the armpit of the UK.
Reply 7
Original post by littlesmurfette
Personally, I would say it 'sucks to be you'

I may 'do something **** like hair and beauty'

But I don't live in the armpit of the UK.

pretty nice place actually and the course is ibms accredited. i think i'll stick to biomed for a while longer before i switch to hair and beauty
Original post by smd4std
pretty nice place actually and the course is ibms accredited. i think i'll stick to biomed for a while longer before i switch to hair and beauty

Nice place? Yeah, right. OK.
Reply 9
Nice place? Yeah, right. OK.

really is, you should visit sometime. recently chosen as the city of culture or some ****
Reply 10
Try writing a letter to the college saying you want another chance and explain the circumstances. If that doesn't work do an apprenticeship so the years not going to waste (gain some ucas points). Or sit the as a private student and self teach. Or next year join a new college.

I would suggest doing an apprenticeship maybe a paralegal apprenticeship then reapply in August but write a letter to the college first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by smd4std
really is, you should visit sometime. recently chosen as the city of culture or some ****

Oh dear.

Thats because it needs money spending on to make it NOT a ****hole.

Point null and voided.
Reply 12
Oh dear.

Thats because it needs money spending on to make it NOT a ****hole.

Point null and voided.

k.

Quick Reply

Latest